Shield design ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Moeckerkalfie

As was recently mentioned in the suggestions thread it would be nice to see a few new shield patterns, and since one easily gets into inaccurate or fantasy-style designs when searching the internet, we should sort things out properly here and discuss the designs too, so that nothing unreasonable like the supposedly gaelic design of the previous versions is found among the wrong factions.

These suggestions are not restricted on the viking faction alone, but also one could think of a few shapes for the english and norman kite shields to set them further apart, as well as more designs for the gaelic shields. Also there are some shapes that have rightfully become unpopular, and the look of the entire viking faction could benefit from the free small shield not being bright green as it used to be pre-0.93.

So feel free to post links and pictures, just keep in mind that fantasy designs are not what we are looking for. If there are suggestions or even shields that are in game right now that seem unhistorical or out of place, replacing them is open for discussion too.

Oh, great. Since you mention certain shapes becoming unpopular, I suppose it's not too off-topic to ask if the centre of Norman and Rus kite shields could be altered so that your character doesn't try to look over the shield no matter how much you raise it, forcing you to hold it super high, seeing less of the battlefield and exposing either your head or your legs more than with round shields, which kind of defeats the purpose of a kite shield.

As for shield designs, I don't know much about that, but I do know the Normans need a dark blue shield design to go with the tacky white and blue helmet. You can look pimpin' with a white and red or yellow/red/orange theme, as there are fitting shields and helmets, but there's only light blue shields.

GOÍDIL
pic48401a24387af.jpg
small Buckler Shield would maybe nice for Goidil
buckler-front-web.gif
VIkingar
3023214379_820d9705fa.jpg
viking_shield_by_felisenus-d30nzpp.jpg
Viking_Shield_01___Skjold_by_Nidhoggr.jpg
Normanz
images
itm_norman_shield_5.png
Rus
_aplja3800a.jpg

correct me if ay of this shields dosnt fit in the viking age

EDIT:

27260.gif

UlfrTheMighty said:
Rus
_aplja3800a.jpg

correct me if ay of this shields dosnt fit in the viking age
Rus shield is good example here. Also devs can use this pattern without umbon :

127542816.jpg

Its reconstruction of Novgorodian knyaz coat of arms.

The first shield looks like some fantasy celtic shield, I actually made that shielsd once.

And that buckler looks more early 14th century, I dont think "bucklers" where used then.

Rath0s said:
The first shield looks like some fantasy celtic shield, I actually made that shielsd once.

And that buckler looks more early 14th century, I dont think "bucklers" where used then.

i were what i tought : P

As I said in the suggestion-thread, I'd like to see more simple patterns on the viking shields etc.
Dansk viking said:
Some of the patterns for the small shields are quite excellent, but why restrict them to the small shields? - The bigger ones are confined to either being all black or some kind of confederate-resemblance-pattern(!?)... Those patterns with ornamented animals are very fine, but we lack some ordinary patterns like,
images
images

These two patterns are standard, colouring is up to you - the more the merrier.

Allright. First of all:

@UlfrTheMighty:
I feel sorry but none of the shields you showed us here fits, except shapes and maybe the second Norman one. The first Gaelic shield is pure fantasy showing a Celtic cross in one of it's modern variations.

@STARik
You're right. Reenactors tend to do what other Reenactors did before, so they just copy wrong stuff. That's ok, cause most Reenactors don't claim their recontructions to be 100% historical accurate and most of them are not historians or archaeologists. If we're looking for historical accuracy we have to search for those few Living History groups who work on museal reconstruction based on historcal sources and archaeology.

@Wulfstan
The "Hand of the gods" is originally from a small brooch. I've that brooch, bought it five years ago in Wolin and I'm not sure if we just can put this on a shield. On the other hand I don't know enough about Rus, but normally it's a common mistake (by Reenactors) to put just small art (from brooches for example) on big shields. That's fantasy.

@Dansk viking
Yeah, that's the point. More simple designs for Vikingr, Engle and Goidil.

Now my two cents:
Some new shield designs and banners would be nice, but please - don't add any ornated animal (Tierstil I-III) or similar fantasy stuff like Thorshammer-Banners. We have actually NO (!!!) proof for the use of that kind of small art (pressblech, brooches or jewelry/pendants) on textiles, shields or banners. Sources like the Bayeux tapestry, Stuttgarter Psalter or similar historic books with paintings may give some ideas about simple shield paintings with geometrical themes and stuff.

Exception should be clanbanners as we use them now to identify unique warbands.

I also can imagine some real nice angel paintings the Rus shields for the higher classes. And don't forget the difference between a representative shield and a "one-way-shield" for battle in real life. Just my two cents, pedantic as allways  :cool:!

And hey - there are and were mods with similar time setting in the past who used a ton of fantasy-thorshammer-shields and stuff. Ugly as hell. Hollywood-Style.

By the way, I guess I've some material for Möckerkalfie I won't post here for copyright reasons.

Waidulf said:
Allright. First of all:

@UlfrTheMighty:
I feel sorry but none of the shields you showed us here fits, except shapes and maybe the second Norman one. The first Gaelic shield is pure fantasy showing a Celtic cross in one of it's modern variations.

I Knew it! viking MOSTLY had Shields like
0000191.jpg
0000192.jpg
images
or just plain shields without any paintings

UlfrTheMighty said:
Waidulf said:
Allright. First of all:

@UlfrTheMighty:

I Knew it! viking MOSTLY had Shields like
0000191.jpg
0000192.jpg
images
or just plain shields without any paintings

True, but withouth the damn iron rim. They used sewed raw leather for the rim. Iron shield rims are a strange invention from modern times, except some parts of silver shield rims for a few representative Germanic shields from rich graves (before Vikingr Age).

Bay the way I really miss some concave round shields...

So much puuuussaayyy!  :roll:

Anyway!  A Celtic-cross is NOT fantasy or unrealistic to have, however the one shown most definantly is.

Celtichugs said:
Anyway!  A Celtic-cross is NOT fantasy or unrealistic to have, however the one shown most definantly is.

i know, but its hard finding one that looks Realistic AND fits the time period. :neutral:

Celtichugs said:
So much puuuussaayyy!  :roll:

Read again what I wrote dude and think about what you wrote. Never said the cross itself is unrealistic, but the presented one IS.
However - give a source for celtic crosses on Gael shields and everything will be fine!  :razz:

Hehe, I never said you said it was unrealistic! :smile:

Problem with Forums etc is tone is hard to read and things are misread so easily :sad:

Eitherway, I wasn't saying you were saying so! Sorry if it came across that way, mate!

Back
Top Bottom