SP - General Shield coverage when couching a lance is insufficient

Users who are viewing this thread

I used to play solo on Warband a lot for fun, taking on armies of like 80 men alone with just a charger and a lance, but in this game I can hardly take on 20 looters alone with a lance. Part of the reason for this is rock throwing accuracy and power, but another part is the fact that shields don't cover you much at all on horseback. You were practically invincible in Warband if you couched the lance on the left side with your shield up, which made sense because you were covering your whole body between the shield and the horse's head, but here it looks like you're holding your shield out, exposing most of your body to the enemy and inviting arrows and rocks to tear you apart. It doesn't really make sense, and it makes it almost impossible to solo effectively now, at least with lances. I know you're supposed to be able to shoot around shields, but I feel like this is more an issue with people holding their shields improperly when using a lance.

I agree with you on this, you hold your shield in such a way that it barely covers anything of your body, and you leave your face basically open.

You are not supposed to solo in the first place.
but i COULD do it in warband and it was a lot of fun. and the inability to solo highlights a greater issue: the inability to avoid being hit. you basically have to wait for your infantry to engage the enemy's archers, because if you try to swoop in and charge them, it's up to luck to not get turned into a pin cushion. in warband i'd grit my teeth as i engaged forest bandits. in bannerlord, i don't bother

The thing you have to remember here is that archers don't shoot where you are, they shoot where you're going to be. Riding in circle or in strait line makes you take garanteed hits. You have to actively dodge, change directions, accelerate, descelerate.

Add to that the fact that ennemies can pick up thrown weapons and throw them again (which is a GREAT addition) and yeah, bandits are tough nuts now.

they shoot where you're going to be. Riding in circle or in strait line makes you take garanteed hits. You have to actively dodge, change directions, accelerate, descelerate.
that's not the issue, the issue is that your shield doesn't cover you, so if you go straight towards archers to attack them you guarantee you're going to be hit, so unless your infantry is forcing the archers into melee already you can't deal with the archers (unless you want to risk death)

that's not the issue, the issue is that your shield doesn't cover you, so if you go straight towards archers to attack them you guarantee you're going to be hit, so unless your infantry is forcing the archers into melee already you can't deal with the archers (unless you want to risk death)
I agree. No point having a shield if it doesn't cover you...
Archers and throwers are OP at the moment though. I've been 1-shot a good number of times by a thrown weapon that hit the head or neck, even though I've got (what I think is) the best helmet in the game (the imperial gemmed helmet). So my most used tactic in large battles is to find the nearest hill. Stick my archers on it with my infantry in a shield wall in-front and my cavalry off to the side. I let the enemy rush, get slaughtered down to a handful by my archers then have the cavalry and infantry charge just before they reach the shield wall. Absolutely decimates. I've won 200 vs 200 battles with no casualties doing that.

Back
Top Bottom