Sharpe

Users who are viewing this thread

I just happen to discover one day at the local library :razz: The books are excellent and other things written by Bernard Cornwell(author of Sharpe) are quite good.

I vaguely remember having watched the series when it was originally on (I was only about 5 when Sharpe's Rifles was made) so pretty much just remember people in green fighting French people - then maybe 10 years ago I rediscovered the TV series and thought it was great (especially as someone from the north of England, seeing as it's about a Northern bloke going around beating up posh people, shooting at French people and swearing a lot - what's not to love?)

Since then I've read through the books up to Sharpe's Revenge, and also some of Cornwell's stand alone historical novels like The Fort and Azincourt, personally I find it's better to watch the series first then read the books, as you can place the actors from the series into the books, rather than read the books and create your own image of the characters then have them contend with the version of them from the TV series - for me Sharpe will always be Sean Bean (and vice versa.)

Also, although Sharpe is lacking in its historical authenticity, it did open the door for me to discover a wider interest in the Napoleonic Wars (and 18th Century combat in general) which is now my second favourite period of history after the Second World War.

I just saw Sharpes Gold..............................................................why?

Franko said:
I just saw Sharpes Gold..............................................................why?

Because some, quoting Sharpe, "twat bastard" thought it was a good idea to disregard the book entirely and replace it with an asinine, absurd, terrible excuse of a plot written by a drunk, high on LSD Baboon.

Articulo34 said:
Franko said:

Because some, quoting Sharpe, "twat bastard" thought it was a good idea to disregard the book entirely and replace it with an asinine, absurd, terrible excuse of a plot written by a drunk, high on LSD Baboon.

Ikr?! that book is amazing and they just go and make the gold have nothing to do with the plot whatsoever? it's just some random gold they got from the looting deserters

My encounter with Sharpe : I'm a French Officer -> Randomly walked in to a tavern in Amsterdam -> Met up with Sharpe -> Hired him -> Put a French uniform on him -> I love this mod! xD

CPT.Quintus said:
My encounter with Sharpe : I'm a French Officer -> Randomly walked in to a tavern in Amsterdam -> Met up with Sharpe -> Hired him -> Put a French uniform on him -> I love this mod! xD
More or less I did the same with Ducos. He is a flag bearer on my British regiment. Kinda funny watching him standing proud behind our Grenadiers with a big British flag on his hands.

Could someone kindly tell me the series everyone is talking about? A quick google search confused me and if it's in this thread I apologize but I'm still on my first cup of coffee and skim read most of it.

Jarl_Krim said:
Could someone kindly tell me the series everyone is talking about? A quick google search confused me and if it's in this thread I apologize but I'm still on my first cup of coffee and skim read most of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_(TV_series)

Basically it's Sean Bean being an immortal (quite unusual for him) Napoleonic officer in the British army.

Jarl_Krim said:
First episode, Sharpe´s Rifles:

You may find the rest, up to Waterloo, here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQWnME-bgtLxKhCY_CWmJUGGPvpVGkAtD

Back
Top Bottom