Shady Community Hub Bans?

Users who are viewing this thread

CryptidByte

Recruit
So I'll admit. I'm shocked. Never have I been banned from a community forum. Heck, I imagine you have to do some serious stuff, like the usage of racial slurs. Or spamming threads. Or something of that nature. Not because of 'ideology'. What?

Didn't make a single thread, posted both against people whining in catchy 'refund my game' threads, and against people saying 'you have no reason to complain' threads. As with anything you pay for, I think you have a reasonable allowance to complain. Though clearly, not through making a half dozen 'Worst game of the year' nonsense posts.

Apparently, however, one Moderator of some kind thinks I am "ideologically" opposed to EA titles, and am encouraging... bad reviews? That makes little to no sense, given I backed Kenshi, Rimworld, and Project Zomboid. This feels like over-reach, especially since I didn't start threads, and only argued (like literally everyone) in a couple of threads attempting to push either 'You have no right to complain' or 'This game is the worst'.

Obviously I'll just eat this ban for the time being, and I have nothing against the developers, but uh. This seems just a little heavy handed, and a very strange reason to be banned over something. You'd expect cussing or... some too hot topic, right?

you reccomended a move to the community that can "snowball" and reduce the money they earn. what did you expect?

Dunno. The right to talk about the game with other people. I'd be happy with locking any inflammatory threads that start with "No right to complain" and the troll versions of "this game sucks". I ended up leaving a negative review, but I might change it. I dunno, and like to think this wasn't done by a developer, but an overzealous moderator that's maybe a little too much of a fan of the game.

its not the mods. this is not a private forum with some crazy people going wild. this is a company and their main goal is to make money. the mod might not even care about the game, he has his orders and one of them is to ban people that try to make the company make less money.

i think you need a reality check. this is not a playground. you are a customer and you are here to pay and play the game.

The moderation team in these forums is not the same from the one in the steam forums. I recommend sticking around here because these are the official company forums where most people who come aren't casuals. Steam is full of those and I'd understand if the team there is less lenient towards company criticism, as it's seen by far more people who have not even played the game.

Thank you for the reply. I suspect this is usually the case, since I've seen people that were just fans of a game with 1000+ hours become Mods, which, uh, might make them have strong opinions. It's sorta a weird system. Alas.

I pray for Bannerlord's success, and looking forward to future patches.

Do you have an ideological opposition to EA? And were you encouraging fake steam reviews?

That's what the ban seems to imply, although I still don't think they should do that, makes them seem authoritarian and cowardly.

Here's the full mock up. It doesn't, of course, show my post history, and the areas I was defending the game, but it's cited as the reason I was banned.
Essentially, Mister Doc starts a fairly inflammatory thread, kinda battling it against multiple people. I decided, unwisely it seems, to try and point out the insanity of his statements by copying his outline, but reversing the words, more or less. I'm open to criticism on whether this was truly inappropriate - to me, it seems like a humorous way to point out the flaw of his logic, and given the context, obviously wasn't a "call for negative reviews".

The Steam forums are moderated by one of our community volunteers and Valve themselves and use the guidelines posted above.

It is most likely you were banned for this:

General Rules
Do not do any of the following:
  • Artificially manipulate the User Review system or voting/rating systems

I can see that the ban will be lifted on 03/05/20. You will be unable to post on the community hub forums until then. Your ban over there will not affect your ability to post here though.

I'm ideologically opposed to this date format is what I'm ideologically opposed to.

Now 2020-05-03, that's way better.

OP you seem to have been definitively in the wrong, you want to review a game negatively for no other reason than "We were given early access", if you'd like to avoid playing the unfinished game and providing input, then you should wait a year or so until it releases fully.

The fact that the game released early in an unfinished state doesn't impact you if you just walk away and wait.

Fair point. But what was artificial about it? Perhaps a talk with said moderator is in order. I can stay banned. I'll live through this, I'm sure. Though I half-hope Doc gets in trouble too - but that's me just being cruel.

But by that logic, of course, creating a thread dedicated to telling people to stop complaining seems far more artificial, than me using the person's exact format to make a literally reversed argument against them.

Fair point. But what was artificial about it?

It's artificial because your Review has nothing to do with the game or the game company.

The people complaining are being told to hush because there's a MASSIVE disclaimer on the store page explaining that the game is unfinished and not ready, including a "we suggest you wait if this isn't acceptable to you" section. That being said those same people are absolutely fair to go review the game and say it's a buggy incomplete mess, those early access reviews will be flagged as such and won't have a huge impact long term.

It'd be like saying "We should review bomb this game because their website uses 14pt font", it's arbitrary and punishes a developer for doing nothing wrong.

It's artificial because your Review has nothing to do with the game or the game company.

The people complaining are being told to hush because there's a MASSIVE disclaimer on the store page explaining that the game is unfinished and not ready, including a "we suggest you wait if this isn't acceptable to you" section. That being said those same people are absolutely fair to go review the game and say it's a buggy incomplete mess, those early access reviews will be flagged as such and won't have a huge impact long term.

It'd be like saying "We should review bomb this game because their website uses 14pt font", it's arbitrary and punishes a developer for doing nothing wrong.
What are you talking about? My statement, out of context, might indeed imply such a thing. Especially had I been the creator of the thread. But given the context the exact same thing could be said about the initial thread and poster. More over, my statement could and should be viewed as humor, as it was intended. Doc's points seemed unfair.

This wasn't a call to action. Again. Context.

What are you talking about? My statement, out of context, might indeed imply such a thing. Especially had I been the creator of the thread. But given the context the exact same thing could be said about the initial thread and poster. More over, my statement could and should be viewed as humor, as it was intended. Doc's points seemed unfair.

This wasn't a call to action. Again. Context.

The context doesn't make you look any better, it makes you look worse. Humor doesn't translate well over text because text lacks the necessary inflection and you made no stylistic attempt to indicate it.

"If taleworlds doesn't stop doing this, we'll have more unfinished sequels forever" doesn't seem to be high comedy to me.

Your argument seems to be "Destroy any game in EA because I don't like EA" but that has nothing to do with the game, or even the game developer.

It'd be like if your mother said "Do you want to lick the batter of the spoon?" and you responded with "No it's not finished, if you give people things that aren't finished all finished things will cease to be", it is a very odd stance to take.

Again, you can solve this by just pretending Bannerlord doesn't exist until it releases, just like you already ignored the years of Warband and M&B being in open alpha/beta.

It doesn't make it worse. You just quoted me, but in reality, you quoted Doc. None of those views are mine. They were the exact opposite, Yin to Yang of someone's elses body. Read both to compare and contrast.

Either A) We are both wrong, one an ideological promotion of EA, the other an ideological strike against EA. Or B) Two people arguing about whether or not complaining about a game, in EA, is warranted. B was by vote.

But if A, then I cannot see how I am at fault, even if the context is removed, unless he too was banned. It comes across "So long as I am promoting negative reviews, I'll be banned. But if I'm promoting positive reviews..."

It doesn't make it worse. You just quoted me, but in reality, you quoted Doc. None of those views are mine. They were the exact opposite, Yin to Yang of someone's elses body. Read both to compare and contrast.

Either A) We are both wrong, one an ideological promotion of EA, the other an ideological strike against EA. Or B) Two people arguing about whether or not complaining about a game, in EA, is warranted. B was by vote.

But if A, then I cannot see how I am at fault, even if the context is removed, unless he too was banned. It comes across "So long as I am promoting negative reviews, I'll be banned. But if I'm promoting positive reviews..."

Doc only seems to oppose review bombing, nowhere does he seem to oppose having a negative opinion of the game and reviewing it accordingly.

If everyone hates a game and naturally reviews it negatively that's not "Review bombing" that's a game noone likes, if people say "This games website is purple, I don't like purple" and then proceed to review bomb the game then it is rational that people would be opposed to that, because most people use reviews to find good games to play, not finding out about arbitrary points of contention outside of the game.

I think you failed to notice the topic title that Doc started. This is why context is important. He called it review bombing, which it's not, given it holds a 83% positive rating, deserved in my opinion. This is why it's important to know the context something was said within. He wanted people to stop complaining about the game, on the context it was in EA. I, personally, disagree with this opinion. Had Fallout 76 been released into Steam's EA, I would've complained about it. While other games, I did not.

Again. I bought Rimworld, Kenshi, and Project Zomboid while they were in early access. And 7 Days to Die. Plenty of which I left positive reviews for. There is no ideological viewpoint against EA, unless someone really, really wants to read into it as such, while not paying attention to anything else I wrote.

I even went on, in a later post, to agree with Doc's premise on the way someone complains.

I think you failed to notice the topic title that Doc started. This is why context is important. He called it review bombing, which it's not, given it holds a 83% positive rating, deserved in my opinion. This is why it's important to know the context something was said within. He wanted people to stop complaining about the game, on the context it was in EA. I, personally, disagree with this opinion. Had Fallout 76 been released into Steam's EA, I would've complained about it. While other games, I did not.

Again. I bought Rimworld, Kenshi, and Project Zomboid while they were in early access. And 7 Days to Die. Plenty of which I left positive reviews for. There is no ideological viewpoint against EA, unless someone really, really wants to read into it as such, while not paying attention to anything else I wrote.

I even went on, in a later post, to agree with Doc's premise on the way someone complains.

Ah I see, I also did not see his title, you are right.

Negative reviews are people's opinions, which are perfectly fine.

My mistake, seems to be an overreaction on the mods part!

Back
Top Bottom