Sexism in Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

anon2k

Recruit
Will there be sexism added to Bannerlord? There are some unused lines for that, but even if I activated them it feels a little boring since there's no gameplay changes. I liked how enabling sexism in Warband felt like hard mode. I usually play as male characters, but it would be nice to replay it if playing as a woman would make the game harder. More replayablity is always nice. I heard that there is sandbox module in the files, so maybe that will add it? Since we don't even have ability to play as a non noble to add more to the challange.

Its stupid that mode/game that lets you experience things like they were in real life is considered politically wrong. Its like saying there should be no killing in video games because its wrong in real life. Its even more stupid when people complain about bad guys in some games/movies being sexist or otherwise politically incorrect even when its made clear its classical black and white good vs evil fight. I never understood why bad guys can't do some things that are wrong, that is kind of what makes them bad guys... Princess Leia is good example of that, apparently its wrong to show bad guys slaving girl who then breaks her chains and kills the baddie. Is that not good lesson you would want to show? At least that one is popular enough to not go anywhere no matter what Disney tries.

Inappropriate behavior
Its stupid that mode/game that lets you experience things like they were in real life is considered politically wrong. Its like saying there should be no killing in video games because its wrong in real life. Its even more stupid when people complain about bad guys in some games/movies being sexist or otherwise politically incorrect even when its made clear its classical black and white good vs evil fight. I never understood why bad guys can't do some things that are wrong, that is kind of what makes them bad guys... Princess Leia is good example of that, apparently its wrong to show bad guys slaving girl who then breaks her chains and kills the baddie. Is that not good lesson you would want to show? At least that one is popular enough to not go anywhere no matter what Disney tries.

- snip -

Last edited by a moderator:
There's complete dialogue in the game files, just not implemented yet. Either they are working on it a bit more before releasing, or they developed it all but decided halfway through that they're going to drop it because of potential """controversy""" from Western "gaming journalists"

From an immersive standpoint, this is very disappointing. It was very well done in the original, and as stated, made for very rewarding play experiences when over coming the odds and downsides of the female playthrough.
If anything, it makes you appreciate the plight more, but I suppose showing legitimate disadvantage hurts too many peoples fictitious modern disadvantages

yes, leave that to modders please, let people have choice if they want to deal with that or not

I am not sure why we should have to leave it to the modders, I mean the devs could have a toggle listed, "Realistic" and "Modern" to allow people to "Choose" whether the game uses "period realistic" points of view or "Modern" points of view. I mean if we are being real here, there is no "choice" it it is not an official feature.

This is a mod I made which adds a ton of features (Granted you can chose which ones you install), replace the default Module data file with the one from the mod and you will see that: Female companions act more like females, females wear clothing not armor most of the time (Granted they still appear as party leaders will need to fix this)

My guess is that the modders will have to implement this. It's too politically charged of an issue.
Because suppression of historical accuracy is the mark of a free, progressive society. :roll:

You're not wrong in identifying the potential controversy of the issue. It makes me sad when ideology is so rabid that exploring history with period-accurate fiction can be considered taboo.

I thought Warband had it right in offering players the choice of realistic vs modern attitudes. @Earth Dragon expressed it well that the challenge of the female playthrough was both satisfying and did more to promote why it's a good thing that modern life isn't like the way it was back then.

There's been enough of a culture change from the earlier M&B releases to now that including a mechanic like that will cause outrage. Just saying.

I don't know... the arguments against any supposedly controversial issue like this appearing in any game always seem to be more from people worried about others complaining than anyone actually complaining.

I also consider it more derogatory towards men that women.... they are the ones being made out to be arseholes, I'd say portraying what women even today have to put up with is feminist if anything. Besides it was done in a fun way that made playing a female character a bit more interesting.

I don't think it is too much of a poltically charged issue, I suspect they've shelved it to save time, and may or may not revisit it later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom