Setting up Camp in Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Does anyone know if setting up camp will be changed in Bannerlord? I can't remember seeing anything about it in the dev blogs I have read?

I also googled around a little and couldn't find anything about this.

I think it's an area of the game which would be easy to add new features to... and it could really add to immersion.

Any thoughts or good ideas?

Last edited:
I agree, though no, I've yet to see any information about camp.

Things I might look at doing if it were me:

• Night raids. If you get ambushed at night, only a percentage of soldiers based on your Tactics rating will take part in the battle; the rest won't be prepared to fight. The larger your camp, the more likely you'll be seen by potential ambushing parties (but of course the larger the party will have to be before it wants to risk taking you on, as well).
  • Camp management. Perhaps your quartermaster can be told when laying camp what to focus on. Perhaps one of their stats affects how many things they can focus on, up to a cap. Alternatively, if they really wanted to make camping a big deal, companions could be assigned to oversee these tasks individually. The tasks you can select from might include...
    • Camouflaging (reduction in ambush odds; higher Strategy provides a better effect)
    • Foraging (reduction of food consumption while camping; higher Tracking slows the rate further)
    • Fortification (if ambushed, you'll have makeshift defenses to help channel the enemy; the longer you camp, the tougher these will be, eventually involving mantlets and the like to hide from ranged fire; higher Crafting or Engineer, depending on how Engineer is handled ingame, improves defenses faster)
    • Entertainment (boosts morale or helps it recover more quickly, depending on how morale is handled on the campaign map; higher Charm provides better rates)
    • Recovery (wound treatment rate is improved over the base increase provided by camping; higher Surgeon skill creates a stronger effect)
  • Scouting. Dispatch one of your formations to scour the area around the camp, the effective radius being relative to one of the formation leader's stats. Perhaps Tracking. Every morning, a report is compiled of things that happened in the patrol radius. Armies that passed by, fights that took place, and so on. Things you can't see on the map at night due to light reduction. Scouts could also provide advance warning, at a chance based on the leader's Tracking, of coming ambushes, providing you with an opportunity to ready all your men to defend (minus the scouting detachment).
  • Trade. Dispatch a companion to the nearest settlement with some goods for trade. You could only send so many (whatever the companion has inventory slots for), but it would allow you to sell without having to go all the way back to town yourself. The companion's Trade skill affects prices, and if you pack up camp before they return, their Tracking skill dictates how fast they catch up with your army.
  • Fortification.In addition to the basic fortifications in the camp management ideas, perhaps you could have the option to expend some resources to build long-term fortifications. This would basically build a small wooden defensive structure, like a miniature castle, out in the open and any battles that took place there would happen on a premade "fort scene" for that terrain. These fortifications would deteriorate and disappear after a week of abandonment, but they'd otherwise give you a place to come back to and camp at each night if you intend to stay in one area for a while, for instance if you're harassing enemies in their own territory or living the bandit life. Effects include...
    • Reduction to morale loss in the cold (if any occurs) while camping inside a fort.
    • Increase to the amount of soldiers you can ready to deal with a raid, thanks to the walls buying more time to prepare.
    • Increase to the effectiveness of the entertainment and recovery actions above.
    • Increase to the length of time it takes to camouflage, though camouflage would last with the fort. Forts would otherwise provide a passive increase to your visibility to potential raiding parties.

I want to strategize with my council in a tent, and walk around my camp and greet soldier who are working and hanging out

I want to strategize with my council in a tent, and walk around my camp and greet soldier who are working and hanging out
+1 Walking around the camp would be imersive and really cool, but all that you could do in that can be done from a menu, e.g. talking to companions and leveling up soliders, this would be a very late developed feature if it was added.

+1 Walking around the camp would be imersive and really cool, but all that you could do in that can be done from a menu, e.g. talking to companions and leveling up soliders, this would be a very late developed feature if it was added.

Agreed, I'd love the option to do this as well. It'd be a nice alternative to just making menu choices, the way you can do either or when it comes to town or castle interactions. Maybe pay your troops and make upgrades here as well, for example.

Last edited:
Agreed, I'd love the option to do this as well. It'd be a nice alternative to just making menu choices, the way you can do either or when it comes to town or castle interactions. Maybe pay your troops and make upgrades here as well, for example.
Yes just more immersion in your menu options, like quartermaster and troop trainers etc

I think one of the things devs must consider is perhaps we could have the option to walk around the camp and talk to our companions and/or soldiers etc to see if everything is alright. Having a feature where you can also interact with your bed in your personal pavilion to sleep would also be cool besides clicking on the resting button on the camp menu screen. It would add alot more feel to the roleplay. Better yet, when you've assembled the army of the realm, you could actually see patrols going around like what we see in HBO's Game of Thrones show. (You'd also see that in your personal camp without an army but yeah, it'd be more tents and banners around.)(If it's your own camp and only your party, than it'd only be your banners atop the tents and pavilions.)

It feels like this is a feature that has been forgotten by the devs ... and might never happen.

I wonder how easy or hard it would be to mod in the ability to make camp? Any modders here with thoughts on it?

It should be very easy. Basically you make a camp scene and code stuff that should happen there.
This isn't Dragon Age Origins though :p
Haha, but maybe it should be??
Anyway, these immersion-only features tend to suck. You see them once, twice and then it's just boring and you start clicking the menus. You need real use, like banging your companions training your troops or something. :fruity:

It should be very easy. Basically you make a camp scene and code stuff that should happen there.

Anyway, these immersion-only features tend to suck. You see them once, twice and then it's just boring and you start clicking the menus. You need real use, like banging your companions training your troops or something. :fruity:
I agree. Also Dragon Age Origins was a master-piece and Dragon age 2 was the worst sequel I have ever played for any franchise ever...

Anyway - yes. Immersion features are nice but really they are icing. I must admit I am often puzzled when people hark on about the hand-made companion backstories from warband. They each had maybe 2 paragraphs of writing; of which I read once (and only for the ones I cared about). I still don't know/care where Borca came from. (Though admittedly I was a Lezalit fan).

All that stuff is nice to have... but you will never benefit from it in the long term.

This isn't Dragon Age Origins though :p
So? Warband mods has had that in the past so it'd be an awesome idea. Imagine what future holds in Bannerlord where there is a camp menu and the option to explore around. The Dragon Age series is a well done series. The story is great, the characters are badass, everything is awesome, even the romancing features between any male player and any female player.

Last edited:

Aha, +1 friend.

Back
Top Bottom