Seriously Missing feature making Bandit camp attack difficult

Users who are viewing this thread

Last night I spent about 25 attempts to take a bandit camp with 23 bandits, with my 10 elite troops. Very frustrating.

When I thought about it , it became obvious that the problem is that my archers did NOT "look for cover" before releasing arrows. Nor did my melee troops hide behind boulders or trees. We have a "Fire at Will" command but no "Skirmish" command where missile troops advance to "cover" before firing. When attacking with such a small elites force, it is essential to preserve lives ! That's not happening at the moment, as they just stand there in formation, like geese, to be slaughtered.

IF Troops looked for cover before engaging, a small force of 10 troops might succeed more realistically, more often.

Was it the Steppe bandits lol?

They're always way harder than any of the others for me.

I've found using 3 heavy shielded infantry(Heavy Axeman or Legionnaires) and 6 top tier crossbowmen(Vlandia, Empire, Hired) works well, you can hold fire and position the infantry closer and the crossbowmen behind partial cover as necessary, then fire yourself at the bandits, then release fire and bandits will typically attack you or the shield infantry while the crossbowmen take them out.

I don't think they're going to add a dynamic cover system, they seem to have a lot on their plate with AI already.

The "Bandit Camp" feature is essentially a reused component from Warband, I don't think TW spent that much time in Bannerlord crafting this.
I could be wrong, but the whole feature reminds me the most about Warband even M&B 1.0 if I'm not mistaken.

I agree tho that's a loop of gameplay I don't like spending time on, the lack of interesting maps plays a huge role to this, and yeah game-design wise the fact that you're playing with and against a small party is showing the drawbacks of the game in your face ( essentially the AIs in combat here ).

That's essentially why I don't like spending time on the endless " stealth " missions on a shooter, most of the time it's executed poorly, unless someone can come with a surprising idea to tackle the inherent issues of the said game, which in this case of Bannerlord shouldn't be the priority when Mass combats and Sieges are still clustered with issues aswell.

My 2euros cents, as always.

I feel like they'd get stuck on the "cover" :sad:
I feel like mid-high ranged make hide outs pretty easy, just don't charge them, place them at long distance in the outside area, you can charge them into the caves though.
The "Bandit Camp" feature is essentially a reused component from Warband, I don't think TW spent that much time in Bannerlord crafting this.
Yeah it very close, but I must admit the camp designs are very impressive, especially the sea raider one!

I could be wrong, but the whole feature reminds me the most about Warband even M&B 1.0 if I'm not mistaken.

I agree tho that's a loop of gameplay I don't like spending time on, the lack of interesting maps plays a huge role to this, and yeah game-design wise the fact that you're playing with and against a small party is showing the drawbacks of the game in your face ( essentially the AIs in combat here ).

That's essentially why I don't like spending time on the endless " stealth " missions on a shooter, most of the time it's executed poorly, unless someone can come with a surprising idea to tackle the inherent issues of the said game, which in this case of Bannerlord shouldn't be the priority when Mass combats and Sieges are still clustered with issues aswell.

My 2euros cents, as always.
I once made a thread were i suggest changes to how hideouts work. The thread even got featured in the Top singleplayer suggestions

Sadly it didn't get implemented despite lots of positive feedback. Seems to be to much work.
Here my thread.
(I got merged with another thread so it is really messed up...)

The Conspiracy Quest has a few attacks on Bandit camps so .. you cannot avoid them if you want to complete the quest.

So the only answer is SAVE just before fighting then .. reload, fight, reload, fight, reload , fight, swear, reload, fight, cuss , reload, fight, minor tantrum .. etc etc etc

Bandit camps are great for teaching you about the game, especially that ranged weapons work, and you don't want to have to melee until absolutely necessary.

Last night I spent about 25 attempts to take a bandit camp with 23 bandits, with my 10 elite troops. Very frustrating.

When I thought about it , it became obvious that the problem is that my archers did NOT "look for cover" before releasing arrows. Nor did my melee troops hide behind boulders or trees. We have a "Fire at Will" command but no "Skirmish" command where missile troops advance to "cover" before firing. When attacking with such a small elites force, it is essential to preserve lives ! That's not happening at the moment, as they just stand there in formation, like geese, to be slaughtered.

IF Troops looked for cover before engaging, a small force of 10 troops might succeed more realistically, more often.

Enemies are spread around. Point is to engage and defeat them piecemeal. Against ranged enemies use shieldwall. You can keep your men in a shieldwall whole day against ranged enemies, just make sure they are facing right direction. If you bring ranged, assign them in to separate group and keep them well behind your melee troops. Don't bring ranged only, they will be shoot to pieces eventually. Choose your path in such a way as not to draw too many enemies at the same time. If possible keep your man back and lure enemies to your men one by one or in small groups.

If everything else fails, use attack and retreat over several days. Go in, kill few enemies, retreat. Repeat until only few enemies are left inside hideout.

Every time I have to do a bandit camp attack scene I do this:

- Pick 10 tier 4 or tier 5 shielded infantry units.
- Shield wall order (I know that units fight worse in shieldwall but I do not care, it is better for keeping them alive from arrows and javelins).
- Charge.
- Then I go to do other stuff like reading WhatsApp or Internet. Check the game after some time and fight the duel against the enemy chief.

Only bandit camps in Khuzaits area are harder for some reason. I do not care about losing some tier 5 infantry units as they are pretty easy to replace. Leveling up units in Bannerlord is pretty fast.

I feel like they'd get stuck on the "cover" :sad:
I feel like mid-high ranged make hide outs pretty easy, just don't charge them, place them at long distance in the outside area, you can charge them into the caves though.

Yeah it very close, but I must admit the camp designs are very impressive, especially the sea raider one!

Yeah I like those ones, I almost forget it thanks for reminding me !

I once made a thread were i suggest changes to how hideouts work. The thread even got featured in the Top singleplayer suggestions

Sadly it didn't get implemented despite lots of positive feedback. Seems to be to much work.
Here my thread.
(I got merged with another thread so it is really messed up...)

Interesting, thanks. I'll make sure to read that thread when I'll get some spare time to spend on it. Todo list'd like they said. :grin:

i remember a little over a year ago. like may of 2020. the game had slightly different bandit camp set ups. where they would have up to 60 men in there. and many were tier 4+ it was a real challenge. However i was still able to clear them out

use companions when possible. since they can be equipped.

first u need 3-4 troops with shields. line them in front shield wall and put your archers in the back loose formation. it all depends on the enemy location at the time. each bandit camp has multiple "stages" and choke points for you to put your shields. and once you clear out the first area, you can advance further and set up another choke. once u set up your men's position outside of enemy range. you shoot one and tell ur men to fire at will.

the forest/steppe bandits are annoying with their arrows. you need to be on point with your shooting and eliminate them fast or you'll get overwhelmed.
whereas the mountain and sea raiders can potentially 1 shot you with a javelin and they have shields themselves but otherwise don't pose much of a threat.

The more I think about it, the more I like a "Take COVER !" command (not skirmish). Archers move behind nearest tree, Melee troops kneel behind shields, or kneel behind companions. Of course this command would only be for small squads, not in battles.

Yes, a Mod only, developers wouldn't have time to work out how do this. I'll have to learn to mod .. :grin: I know "C" looks like I need to learn C++ or C#

Back
Top Bottom