Serious issue with gameflow

Users who are viewing this thread

It seems the larger my party/army gets, the longer I have to go around recruiting new soldiers after every battle.
The game is fun to begin with but right now I spend something like 30 minutes recruiting, fight for 2 minutes, spend another 30 minutes replenishing recruits. It's boring. Paying a decent sum to have messengers go out into the villages and rally hundred of recruits in one city within a short timeframe would be a nice addition to fix this.

It's also stupid how when the enemy engages me on the map and force me into a battle, they proceed to turtle, forcing me to take initiative. If they won't attack then I should be able to run away without penalty.

If they turtle I shoots them. If the attack I shoots them. I don't lose many troops because I shoots them. Shoots them real good. Try to hit them uh oh you lose troops.
But also the more troops you have, the more chance for **** ups. Having say 100-200 élite troops you can control very well in battle well but when you're trying to lead a big army with kitchen sink troops all over the place it becomes a cluster ****.

When you get bigger armies is also the time where you should get fiefs.

A good use of a fief is to store troops (in the garrison) for replenishment purpose (plus they train a bit with appropriate building). It'll greatly lower the down time of your army after taking a beating.
Of course you have to keep the garrison with the troops you want, can be a problem if your fief has a different culture. Not a perfect solution but definitely helps.

+1 on ranged troops, use loads of them. Melee are arrows/bolts magnets, cav for disruption and ranged for the actual killing. 30% melee, 10% cav and 60% range is my usual army comp for battania/vlandia/empire.

Also avoid, if you can (if the AI can win without you), big battles (2000+ fighters). The way reinforcement works in bannerlord, you're bound to take heavy casualties at some point.

If they turtle I shoots them. If the attack I shoots them. I don't lose many troops because I shoots them. Shoots them real good. Try to hit them uh oh you lose troops.
But also the more troops you have, the more chance for **** ups. Having say 100-200 élite troops you can control very well in battle well but when you're trying to lead a big army with kitchen sink troops all over the place it becomes a cluster ****.
Oh yeah, because cheesing with OP archers is so interesting... But that's apparently the 1 and only tactic of BL.

Oh, right, it's the 1 and only tactic after massively outnumbering your opponent.

Key to winning BL battles: soviet style or cheese

A good use of a fief is to store troops (in the garrison) for replenishment purpose (plus they train a bit with appropriate building). It'll greatly lower the down time of your army after taking a beating.
Of course you have to keep the garrison with the troops you want, can be a problem if your fief has a different culture. Not a perfect solution but definitely helps.
Spending time walking around recruiting troops for my garrison is equally boring.

Where's my "emergency conscription" policy? Something that gives an option to recruit units quickly at the cost of a town's prosperity/militia.

Fight better and you won't spend so much time recruiting.

And your soldiers might not ***** so much about you around the campfire.

The game is fun to begin with but right now I spend something like 30 minutes recruiting, fight for 2 minutes, spend another 30 minutes replenishing recruits. It's boring.
The underlying problem is that armour isn't good enough, so battles last barely any time.
It's also stupid how when the enemy engages me on the map and force me into a battle, they proceed to turtle, forcing me to take initiative. If they won't attack then I should be able to run away without penalty.
I think this can be balanced a bit better in a few ways:
* Make armour provide much better protection against ranged damage, so that shieldless shock infantry are a more viable choice in the player's army, and can be used to break open shieldwalls.
* Make shields take slightly more damage from arrows and bolts, so the player can eventually break shields with enough arrows.
* Increase the effectiveness of melee cavalry charges so if you send your heavy cav to attack a turtling enemy formation they can do better damage than now.
* Reduce the amount of troops who use large shields in the game a bit.
Oh yeah, because cheesing with OP archers is so interesting... But that's apparently the 1 and only tactic of BL.

Oh, right, it's the 1 and only tactic after massively outnumbering your opponent.

Key to winning BL battles: soviet style or cheese
Unfortunately yes. We need armor that functions more realistically against arrows! And take the Glaive from the Khan's Guard.

Last edited:
Paying a decent sum to have messengers go out into the villages and rally hundred of recruits in one city within a short timeframe would be a nice addition to fix this.
****, if only there was an old M&B prequel that had exactly that feature.

Hey don't touch the glaive, it is the cheapest slashing 2h (melee)weapon in the game which can one shot. Even 2h swords are more expensive, shorter and making less dmg. Everything is fine.

Armor is not the problem, the problem is, that the AI mixes shieldless infantry with shielded infantry, since archers usually concentrate on the closest enemies.

As human player you used to be able to clearly set formation groups, so you could pack Heavy infantry into a seperate group to follow the shielded infantry or lead them over the flank or just let them charge, while cavalry distracts and kills enemy archers.

But with the newest formation system, we can't do that anymore, that needs to be reworked ASAP.

Besides that... We're talking about Artificial Enemies, the "AI" (since it is no real AI, we're talking about here, just a bunch of scripts) is pretty limited and at some point predictable. If you have more troops than them, they will turtle. If you have less troops, they will attack and you can plan accordingly.

And even if you'd introduce a random chance, that the AI will bravely attack you despite being outnumbered, that is still the same situation as when they outnumber you, only it is easier for you to shoot them down.

The game would need new types of battles to mix things up, like ambush battles (extensively discussed in another thread), like seemingly the Battle of Pendraic in the lore was one, where you could really maneuver troops on the Battlefield BEFORE the AI knows, that they're there and goes into high alert, so you can really surprise them or, decided by other factors, they spot your troops and reorganize on the field.

I won't go too much in detail here, but I think, the Battle AI itself can't be really reworked that much, it is AI, it is a bunch of 0's and 1's and either it knows, that your formations are there or it doesn't, you can't really surprise it. with tactical maneuvers on the field and they can't really surprise you.

Last edited:
Armor is not the problem, the problem is, that the AI mixes shieldless infantry with shielded infantry, since archers usually concentrate on the closest enemies.
Armor IS the main problem that battles last barely 3 minutes.

Ask any player with experience in the game and they will tell you that when they want to win they use ****loads of archers/crossbowmen mixed with a very small amount of shielded infantry. Or they use a party of all horse archers with no infantry of any kind.

Why?

Because archers can do the same DPS as melee fighters but from a distance, thanks to armor not providing the protection it should, literally the only reason melee fighters are relevant at all right now is shields (which also have unrealistically high damage reduction vs. arrows but anyway). All you or the AI needs is a small token force of infantry to force the shields to be dropped, and then the archers have a free hand to rain death from afar. You can have as many archers as you like pouring constant high DPS into any melee fight. Which will end the battle very very quickly since unlike melee fighters they don't have to compete for space when dealing damage to the same target, or worry about being parried. They can just attack attack attack while the allied meatshields keep their targets busy. If armor actually provided reasonable protection against arrows this would be balanced and not end fights so quick, but it doesn't.

In addition, even when you completely remove archers from the picture and solely have a melee vs. melee fight, the fact that armor provides such ****ty protection is also the main reason why every melee engagement is over in roughly 1 minute.

Install any mod which improves armor protection (without changing other factors) and you will pretty much see battles double in length instantly.
As human player you used to be able to clearly set formation groups, so you could pack Heavy infantry into a seperate group to follow the shielded infantry or lead them over the flank or just let them charge, while cavalry distracts and kills enemy archers.

But with the newest formation system, we can't do that anymore, that needs to be reworked ASAP.
Battles were short and **** with the old formation system as well. Armor Is The Problem.

The game would need new types of battles to mix things up, like ambush battles (extensively discussed in another thread), like seemingly the Battle of Pendraic in the lore was one, where you could really maneuver troops on the Battlefield BEFORE the AI knows, that they're there and goes into high alert, so you can really surprise them or, decided by other factors, they spot your troops and reorganize on the field.
This bugs me. You spend a long, long ass while during the starting quest of the campaign asking lords about the Battle of Pendraic and they go to great lengths explaining the battanian ambush.

You're like "damn sounds sweet, I'm gonna get me some Fian Champions and reenact that battle", but then you realize there's no ambush, or any maps that could somewhat lend themselves to that either, specially since the AI only has f1 f3 mode or hiding everyone inside a circle formation mode.

Best for now is medical skill, very high medical skill, but it's petty painful to leveling up, but once it's very high, you had only need little bit time of getting new troop while healing all your troop that would be killed but end up wound as well. Same for engineer Skill if you keep attacking castle/town to taken over. High Medical and Engineer, and less need to get new troop but you had to spent time to link wound, thought.

As some said, best is heavy cavalry archers, it's won't get in melee risk losing, and stay alive as well, unless other enemies army had full cavalry archer, then och!. So cavalry archer with high medical skill ensure you don't need new troop, when you know what to do with cavalry archer (basic follow me while ensure all your troop don't go into melee, if arrow ran out, then get all your troop out of map and start over again to refill arrow for whole troop, this is way.

My surgeon is highly skilled. The problem isn't getting troops for me (I can just replace losses with prisoners). The problem is the other parties in the army.

Back
Top Bottom