Serial key invalid

Users who are viewing this thread

Fleskdawson

Recruit
I recently bought mount and blade through steam and singleplayer works fine, however, multiplayer asks for a serial key, when I enter the key that steam supplied me with, I am rejected and told that my key is invalid, I tried to contact paradox support and they informed me that they do not own the ip anymore and that I should go to taleworlds support. Every time I attempt to contact taleworlds support I am also rejected, so I have come here.

Please help.

Flesk

I also have this problem. I bought it at the weekend, and while the single player works fine, the multiplayer is impossible to join.

Hi Caralad and Fleskdawson,

This seems very weird because you should've entered it in the installation proces and not throughout the game, so i'll have to ask if it would be possible to make a screenshot at the point where it's asking for a serial key?

Hi there

Sch5n0Z.jpg

Sxe14Me.jpg

I put the code in, and it comes up as ''Incorrect serial number''

Hi MINTEEER,

That is an unusual thing indeed. Right now I'm thinking:

- Goto Start -> Run -> regedit.exe
- Goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MountAndBladeWarbandKeys.
OR ctrl+f and search for "serial_key". This Might take 2 minutes.
- This should have a value matching with this layout "XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX".
- Write down this key on a piece of paper somewhere and try again ingame(do not copy paste).
- Report back here if it worked/didn't work. !!!DO NOT POST YOUR SERIAL KEY!!!
- Additionally, if you bought it through steam then right click the game and view CD-Key. Check if it matches up with the CD-key from your regedit. Althought I don't think this last step is worth anything  :shock:

Just wanna point out I'm not held responsible for people abusing CD-keys.

Hi, I am also having this problem and I just tried your steps and sadly it did not work. When I go to play multiplayer after I tried it says Incorrect Serial Number right away. I then checked the registry after and it made the serial_key blank again

Frostdcakes said:
Hi, I am also having this problem and I just tried your steps and sadly it did not work. When I go to play multiplayer after I tried it says Incorrect Serial Number right away. I then checked the registry after and it made the serial_key blank again

Same thing happened to me. :/

Hi,

It seems we have found the solution :smile: You're serial numbers don't match because it is blank.

If the value "serial_key" already exists goto step 4, else:
[list type=decimal]
[*] Goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MountAndBladeWarbandKeys
[*] Right click MountAndBladeWarbandKeys -> New -> String Value(2nd option from top)
[*] Name it "serial_key"

[*] Right click serial_key -> Customize(first option) -> Enter serial key MANUALLY
[*] Smile
[/list]

Hi Windle, thanks for the reply.

Sadly there is a lack of a smile here. I followed your steps and it still hasn't resolved the issue for me. The screenshots that MINTEEER posted are exactly what I'm seeing in game, both before and after following your steps. Entered the serial key in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MountAndBladeWarbandKeys  location, loaded the game, even made a new character just to be safe, but even then it came up as invalid. Then rechecked the location, and it was blank again.

Hi Caralad,

So now that we pinned down the issue it comes down to figuring out how to bypass the issue in a legal way(else it would've been fixed a long time ago :razz:).
Things you have to try is entering the code at different times during the loading process. See, the game and steam both work with initalisations and somewhere along the line it has a clearlogs or something I pressume.

What you have to try is

1. Entering the code, restarting system. If the serial key is still there than we can check off Windows from the list.
2. Starting up steam. If it's still there than we can check off Steam from the list.
3. Start up mount&blade. If the serial key is still there we can check off Mount&Blade from the list.

Most likely the error is based in step 3.
- What I would suggest then is checking if the key is still there when you're at the menu.
- Click on multiplayer and check if the serial is still there
- Click on Join a game and check if serial is still there
- Click on Refresh and check if serial is still there
- Click on join and check if serial is still there
- Enter serial key and click to join, check if key is still there after the invalid error message.

Let's hope it clears outside of Mount & Blade. If it's the game doing it then I believe someone at TaleWorlds is gonna get fired.
Not looking at Captain Lust, cause he's a nice guy :cool:.

Let me know where the serial key whipe occurs!

I have the same exact problem as I have recently brought the same pack from steam. I am guessing its the keys that are at fault as I have tried the regdit and other suggestions that have been put online. Is there anyone at taleworlds we can contact to check if our keys are active :cry:

bobhawk69 said:
I have the same exact problem as I have recently brought the same pack from steam. I am guessing its the keys that are at fault as I have tried the regdit and other suggestions that have been put online. Is there anyone at taleworlds we can contact to check if our keys are active :cry:
I have just checked and napoleon wars is fine witch leads me to believe that steam is giving out wrong warband keys

Hi bobhawk69,

If you have any proof of concept(screenshots, video, logs, descriptions) then I strongly recommend posting them here. If people just wing it then it won't get fixed.
If a lot of people submit the same bug then priorities will change and buggs wil get fixed.
I don't think develoment admin actually checkes this forum anymore that's why I'm trying to help out a bit wherever and whenever I can.

Hi Windle.

Followed your instructions, here are the results.

1. Entering the code, restarting system. If the serial key is still there than we can check off Windows from the list. - still there
2. Starting up steam. If it's still there than we can check off Steam from the list. - still there
3. Start up mount&blade. If the serial key is still there we can check off Mount&Blade from the list.v- Still there when first loaded up.

Most likely the error is based in step 3.
- What I would suggest then is checking if the key is still there when you're at the menu. - Yes
- Click on multiplayer and check if the serial is still there - Yes
- Click on Join a game and check if serial is still there - Yes
- Click on Refresh and check if serial is still there - Yes
- Click on join and check if serial is still there - Invalid Cd key message, CD key is no longer in the registry.

It seems the actual act of joining the server is what's causing this. The cause though..... :?:

I do not have this problem but I am concerned because I was planning on buying several additional copies of Warband to give away to friends. I do not want them to encounter this issue. Recently the Steam forums have had many reports of this invalid key bug.

I bought this game on saturday, had the exact same problems as you. For fun i just checked regedit again, who knows. My key has magically appeared, i hope this will also happen to you.
Regards, Maarten

Windle said:
Let's hope it clears outside of Mount & Blade. If it's the game doing it then I believe someone at TaleWorlds is gonna get fired.
Not looking at Captain Lust, cause he's a nice guy :cool:.

Yea so someone at TaleWorlds is gonna get fired for sure  :mrgreen:.
It's a programming mistake in the v1.158 which ressets the key when clicking on join when it's invalid, even if the key is valid.
This is beyond me and your reach to fix. Submit this stating precisely that it happens when clicking the button and lets hope they do something about it.

I hope my help was appriciated, I'm sure many new owners of the game will be gratefull that you all did the research and prevented this for the future owners!

Thanks guys for taking some time and helping others, It still doesnt work for me but I sure will send them a bug report. Lets hope theyll clear some things out.

Back
Top Bottom