MP Oriental Sengoku Jidai: 1467-1573 [Recruiting] Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Ok we still need someone who is good at the module system. And knows the modding process well. We got some bugs that needs to be tracked down. And we aren't completey sure on how to replace/add new models and animation. We need someone with more knowledge in these matters. The team have come a long way already, we have made a lot that needs to be implemented...but we aren't exactly sure how to do it.

Looking for someone who is good at python and the module system. A veteran at this forum  :mrgreen:

I don't mod or do anything of that sort but I live in Japan and speak and read Japanese.  If you want any translations or anything, just message me. 

If you haven't got any special knowledge on your great great great great grand parents. Then I don't know what you would do, this mod is going to be in english. So we don't really need any tanslations. But thanks for showing intrest! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Some new basic weapons.

Naginata
naginata.png
Katana
katanascreen.png
Heavy wip! (Work in progress)

That looks very good, a bit short in length but definately a good weapon. I'm not sure about the end of the blade. And it seems to be a bit high poly. But I see where it connects the blade and the handle. That thing I missed in mine. Give me your msn and we can talk live about what models that needs to be done etc. This is a result of miscommunication...we need to divide the work between each other  :mrgreen:

Also look at the ning site. It will be used to post updates and models, this thread will also be used to post updates. But this is for the public eye and for recruiting new members. There is a live chat at the ning site, and we have posted a lot more info and updates on that site. :smile:

EDIT: Also what is that mod plan document in your screenshot? Something about this mod?

@ Hermodr. Its not high poly, its the buisness end of the tool, and if it looks really square, you will notice in game constantly. :razz: Thankyou for noting my addition of the hilt bracket, mine is a slightly different shape to yours, I guess we all have our own interpretation. I made mine as more of a slashing tool, for cutting through with the edge, its thicker at the back etc to provide strength. And its basic, more of an ashigaru weapon than anything else, with little extra design work. See my posts in the Forge for when I'm doing proper design work. And the document "Mod Plan", that you noticed, is to do with that, part of my own project, still in the planning stages. Although based on a real time period with factions that mirror the ancient time period i've chosen to work in, its fictional, therefore I have less to base it upon, meaning its a lot more work.  The forge stuff is related to that. xD Sengoku Jidai is just a little extra something different, for me. It certainly gives me variation in my modelling styles etc. o.o

Hermodr said:
If you haven't got any special knowledge on your great great great great grand parents. Then I don't know what you would do, this mod is going to be in english. So we don't really need any tanslations. But thanks for showing intrest! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Some new basic weapons.

Naginata
naginata.png
Katana
katanascreen.png
Heavy wip! (Work in progress)

Ah ok!  Didn't know if there was any research or text or anything!  Good luck though, I'll be waiting to play this when it comes out.

First post updated with new fresh information about the mod. It's like washing off all the dirt in a fresh water spring waterfall :cool:

Hermodr said:
First post updated with new fresh information about the mod. It's like washing off all the dirt in a fresh water spring waterfall :cool:

Why did you cut the formatting out T_T
I had it that way for a reason

Ok here is a update to the sword, I figured out how to make the blade  :mrgreen: It has got a normal map too, and currently it's unlit so it will look much better inside the game. It's still a amateur texture though, and if someone wants to help make it better.  :razz: :razz:
´

Hermodr said:
Nodachi – The Japanese great sword, the nodachi was, surprisingly, used as a thrown weapon or dropped after the initial charge as it was too heavy to use throughout the fight. The nodachi was about 4ft (1.3m) in length and had a 1ft (0.3m) hilt.
I wonder where you got this piece of information. The O-tachi, "great, big sword", is the sword you are talking about ("no-daichi" simply means "field sword", and was usually longer and thicker than the civilian katana of the Edo period, but not necessarily an O-tachi). But that's not really what I take issue with here: thrown weapon? That's absurd. There are other weapons much better suited (not to mention cheaper) for throwing. Also, I haven't come across any source that says they were dropped after the initial charge. You wouldn't necessarily charge in with them, anyway.

The O-tachi wasn't extremely prevalent on the Japanese battlefield, but prevalent enough. They still debate their exact use, but I'm leaning toward them having the same use as the greatswords or even Zweihänders of Europe: they were weapons to be used against enemies with even longer weapons, especially long spears or pikes. In Europe they were often used in tangent with pollaxes or similar, and I imagine this would be useful in Japan as well. The Zweihänder is also a heavy weapon to be swinging around, but you don't use a Zweihänder as you would a longsword, and you don't use an O-tachi as you would a katana. The Zweihänder was not meant to be thrown or dropped, and neither was the O-tachi. You could throw it, yes, just as you could throw your helmet at someone in desperation. But that's not what it's designed for.

Omi no Yari – This yari ranged from 15-20+ft (5-6+m)! For gameplay purposes I don’t believe we’ll find the longest of this type in game, but this will obviously be a cavalry deterrent. This type of yari found itself in the hands of the Ashigaru and never in the hands of a samurai.
I'm afraid I have to question your sources on this one, too. Long yari of this kind became quite popular on the Japanese battlefield, from around ~1400, also among samurai. By this time, individual combat between samurai were mostly romantic relics from the past. Still you would have samurai charging in on their own for the sake of glory, a disciplinary short-coming they shared with European knights. But there was nothing "un-samurai" about the long spear. This print is quite telling in a number of ways:

battlelanceprint.jpg

This is a depiction of a mock battle between short and long spears. It is comprised mainly of ashigaru on either side, but there are samurai there, too. The long-spear gang actually has the most samurai. The placement of samurai is also a very interesting one: most of the samurai are at the back, behind the ashigaru. It is certainly not unheard of for samurai to act as "ushers" from behind, to provide moral support for the front ranks and make sure they tow the line, and this goes to show that the samurai certainly didn't mind having a secondary role in battle. And this we also know, of course, from the fact that ashigaru were sent into the fray before samurai. It's just good sense, really.

And just because I'm a pedant: it's yumi, not yami. :razz:

Is that the native texture? There is an OSP samurai pack out there but unforunately it doesn't seem to be downloadable anymore and the creator isn't very active. Otherwise Daedalus is a nice bloke and may give you his samurai stuff if you ask him nicely.

Good luck with this mod, I do enjoy Japanese history and culture so I am looking forward to this, when I get warband. But one last thing, I have to agree with the above post. It is a yumi not a yami.

Nodachi.jpg

This is sword my friend was talking about. I didn't write the main post since my english isn't good enough. What different names we are going to use for the weapons is important. No-dachi samurai were samurai on the battlefield wielding the huge katanas right. Then that sword would be called dachi?

I'm not qualified to reply to most of what you are saying about the yari. But we are currently looking for members, you seem to be well educated in samurai history. Would you like to join and help to make this mod as realistic as possible?

Also if there is anyone who is interested in this mod and knows well how to use the module system to implent equipment for multiplayer. It would be great if you could join us, since right now no one in the team knows how to do this. And we can't show ingame screens of the models we make.

Thank you for the replies :wink: It keeps the mod in the sptlight :grin:

GenericSoldierX said:
So is there any reason why it's MP only?

Are you too lazy to make a world map, towns/villages/castles?

I'm looking for too much work at the moment actually.

Is there anyway I could get a good look at your source code? I'm contemplating an east asian-centric mod, comparable to the native style of mixing the influences to create the factions facing off in a generic map. All of this is certainly way over my head, and worse case scenario, I use the items in native for fun. I'm in china(not chinese though), and my internet connection has to go through the great firewall, so I'm fairly boned on bandwidth. and thus multilayer has become irrelevant to me. I'm sure plenty of people would love the work you guys have put into this mod, though in a single player format.

Back
Top Bottom