Send Troops - Excessive Casualties

Users who are viewing this thread

Takazul

Regular
So, I've noticed that if I use "Send Troops" I take excessive casualties a lot of the time--especially to high tier troops. For example, my standard army comp is ~30 archers ~20 cav., ~50 infantry. If I attack a 20 band of looters my t5 archers melt them and it's not fun. If I send troops, more than half the time I'll lose MULTIPLE t4/5 troops, particularly the cav. Is there some inherent penalty for using send troops? Or is the AI just awful? Thanks.

Last edited:
So, I've noticed that if I use "Send Troops" I take excessive casualties a lot of the time--especially to high tier troops. For example, my standard army comp is ~30 archers ~20 cav., ~50 infantry. If I attack a 20 band of looters my t5 archers melt them and it's not fun. If I send troops, more than half the time Ill lose MULTIPLE t4/5 troops, particularly the cav. Is there some inherent penalty for using send troops? Or is the AI just awful? Thanks.
Even with a larger army, 20 looters can manage to kill cataphracts, banner knights, they prefer higher tiers
The whole thing is irrelevant
No common sense

The calculation for simulated battles has always been horrible
No real way around it other than just playing the battles I'm afraid

There was a mod a while back that attempted to address this, but alas it has not been updated.

To be honest, I think it is one of the biggest problems with the game. The Auto Resolve needs reflect what a real battle would be like, and I think that should be addressed at some point before release.

Yeah. Even with high tactics and all relevant perks it's still bad. I think for the player it's never intended to be the optimal plan and for the AI on AI it's a culling effect. If they would add a perk(or several) that made units only get knocked out by units of lower tier or something like that, it would become useful. Of course if you have generic or rag tag troops it's not so bad, but I always use a core of special troops and loosing one or 2 to being lazy is not okay for me.

I sent my troops vs a band of 31 looters and lost a khan's guard.

So nope not using that again. The autocalc was designed IMO extremely lazy and does not consider in the least the actual abilities of these units. But to make it more accurate would be very complicated and subjective. I mean vs looters you should never lose a t4-t6 unit unless it's like a band of 80 looters or something (and why would you autocalc that?). But vs forest bandits? Imperial infantry and equite vs vlandia? Too subjective.

I sent my troops vs a band of 31 looters and lost a khan's guard.

So nope not using that again. The autocalc was designed IMO extremely lazy and does not consider in the least the actual abilities of these units. But to make it more accurate would be very complicated and subjective. I mean vs looters you should never lose a t4-t6 unit unless it's like a band of 80 looters or something (and why would you autocalc that?). But vs forest bandits? Imperial infantry and equite vs vlandia? Too subjective.

Those looters throw a mean rock.

I remember them being even worse last year. I don't know if those laser accurate rocks of doom were toned down since then or if it's just my memory failing me but they don't seem as deadly now.
They were very much nerfed. At the start of EA, looters were unironically the most powerful bandit type. Just drill you right between your eyes better than half the time.

Yeah. Even with high tactics and all relevant perks it's still bad. I think for the player it's never intended to be the optimal plan and for the AI on AI it's a culling effect. If they would add a perk(or several) that made units only get knocked out by units of lower tier or something like that, it would become useful. Of course if you have generic or rag tag troops it's not so bad, but I always use a core of special troops and loosing one or 2 to being lazy is not okay for me.

It should be lower tier troops that sustain very high casualties and high tier troops more likely to emerge unscathed or wounded if they do get knocked out (they do have the best armor and most experience).

It should be lower tier troops that sustain very high casualties and high tier troops more likely to emerge unscathed or wounded if they do get knocked out (they do have the best armor and most experience).
Yeah and I forgot to include one my favorite ideas for improving auto calc: Let the player choose which troops to send in auto calc battles. SO many times I have my core of good troops already leveled that I need for defeating lords and then some recruits or other lower tier troops in rout to a garrison, it would be really useful to send just the lower tier troops in an auto calc again bandits and level them up without risking the good troops. Of course this would be good for siege too and keep battles to keep clan members or "too good" or even dead weight units out of the battles..

Auto-calc should punish the player.

It is a lazy workaround. If they encouraged it, they'd be encouraging people avoiding the main premise the entire game is built around. (It's not a RTS, it's a RTS introduction to a FPS battle simulator)

Cripes, you should see how bad the auto-calc is in Total War.

Auto-calc should punish the player.

It is a lazy workaround. If they encouraged it, they'd be encouraging people avoiding the main premise the entire game is built around. (It's not a RTS, it's a RTS introduction to a FPS battle simulator)

Cripes, you should see how bad the auto-calc is in Total War.
I was just going to say that the autocalc in Total War can sometimes work in your favor because it's just as bad. You can defeat with autocalc an opposing army that you'd have virtually no chance against otherwise because of unit abilities and whatnot.

Yeah and I forgot to include one my favorite ideas for improving auto calc: Let the player choose which troops to send in auto calc battles. SO many times I have my core of good troops already leveled that I need for defeating lords and then some recruits or other lower tier troops in rout to a garrison, it would be really useful to send just the lower tier troops in an auto calc again bandits and level them up without risking the good troops. Of course this would be good for siege too and keep battles to keep clan members or "too good" or even dead weight units out of the battles..
?
It is ok to loose troops but i would like the option so my recruits learn faster.

That's the way it works already.

I tend to frequently lose troops that are veterans.

I'd have to take a second look at the code, but as it stands, Autocalc could use a lot of work. Gear in particular is not taken into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom