Select what units to enter the field of battle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Gadheras

Squire
Sometimes it would been handy to be able to select what units to enter the battle. If I got a party of 240 guys, I don\t necessary want them all to enter the field if I'm attacking 30 looters etc. We can already do it when attacking bandit bases, so why not? Or even better have a few presets to easily switch between.

++++++++

I'd love to have a pre-battle tactics screen where you can select which troops will go where, and initial instructions, at least in battles where I am the attacker, and within a certain limited portion of the map.

Great idea, this would also allow players to keep companions and relatives out of dangerous engagements. They die so easily...

Perhaps this could be resolved by adding a "lock" box to units in the party screen like the one which you can use in the inventory for items you don't want to sell.

All can agree, but won't happen any time soon. We will be lucky to get control over our parties and garrisons in a few versions.

wasnt there a perk in leadership or tactics that allowed you prepositioning in battle and was deleted?

i do a lot of micro for handling my troops. just playing around with the group number.

While you can't control what units are in a battle, you do have a limited ability to control the order of units that enter the battle from your party (or your parties in an army).

The units you bring towards the top in the party screen seem to be prioritised in battle.

So for example, if you bring your archers to the top, you'll have more archers in the battle. So I tend to organise my own party, and other parties in my clan in a way that offers me superiority in the area that the enemy I face is. E.g. I bring my archers to the top when fighting Battania - who usually only have a handful of Fians. I bring my heavy cavalry to the top when fighting Khuzaits who's light horse archers can be minced by heavy cavalry. Etc. Etc.

It isn't 100%, but it does work.

Otherwise, you can just transfer units to an empty selection group and withdraw them if the need arises - E.g. protect your Tier 6 infantry by moving them to the heavy infantry slot, and withdrawing them from the battle.

While you can't control what units are in a battle, you do have a limited ability to control the order of units that enter the battle from your party (or your parties in an army).

The units you bring towards the top in the party screen seem to be prioritised in battle.

So for example, if you bring your archers to the top, you'll have more archers in the battle. So I tend to organise my own party, and other parties in my clan in a way that offers me superiority in the area that the enemy I face is. E.g. I bring my archers to the top when fighting Battania - who usually only have a handful of Fians. I bring my heavy cavalry to the top when fighting Khuzaits who's light horse archers can be minced by heavy cavalry. Etc. Etc.

It isn't 100%, but it does work.

Otherwise, you can just transfer units to an empty selection group and withdraw them if the need arises - E.g. protect your Tier 6 infantry by moving them to the heavy infantry slot, and withdrawing them from the battle.

In current 1.5.9 that is bugged. So a bit clunky to sort now, have to move all out, then bring them back one by one, rather than just move up and down.

Thing is though, when you might be running around with a 300+ party, and you encounter like a group of 20-50 something, it's a bit pointless field all your units for that fight. Or if you want to put some units on the side line out of risk. Would been helpful for all those cry about companions dying to often in battle. Just have them sit out when you feel there is a great risk.

it got deleted before it was ever implemented
They said they didn't want to lock it behind a perk and it was tied into the new order of battle system (along with banners), so that's probably for the better. Imagine having to grind Tactics on literally every character; **** would be about as bad as Inventory Management.

They said they didn't want to lock it behind a perk and it was tied into the new order of battle system (along with banners), so that's probably for the better. Imagine having to grind Tactics on literally every character
So its coming after all? I'd hoped that would be the case when they removed it. It shouldn't have ever been locked behind a perk. Its just been so long since they removed it that it seemed like it was gone for good

**** would be about as bad as Inventory Management.
I'm sure this is a terribly unpopular opinion, but I really believe that removing the WB style Inventory Management was the worst thing thing they could've done to the player economy. Limited inventory space would solve so many problems with prices and loot. It would allow for prices that make sense and the player could get good stuff without becoming stupid rich in the first 3 months of the game. The weight and horse based system really isn't cutting it at all.

I'm sure this is a terribly unpopular opinion, but I really believe that removing the WB style Inventory Management was the worst thing thing they could've done to the player economy. Limited inventory space would solve so many problems with prices and loot. It would allow for prices that make sense and the player could get good stuff without becoming stupid rich in the first 3 months of the game. The weight and horse based system really isn't cutting it at all.
Hypothetically, maybe. But in practice the pricing stuff is wholly different (and almost unconnected) from every other system in the game. So we'd be more likely to get the same **** tax skill that was Inventory Management, with crazy prices to boot.

So its coming after all? I'd hoped that would be the case when they removed it. It shouldn't have ever been locked behind a perk. Its just been so long since they removed it that it seemed like it was gone for good

Stupid rich... If you want to roll around like a boss, and stack your fifes with a healthy garrison without abuse any flaws in game mechanics, like smithing. Then get stupid rich involves quite a grind. Prices that make sense, can still be achieved with proper balance.

Hypothetically, maybe. But in practice the pricing stuff is wholly different (and almost unconnected) from every other system in the game. So we'd be more likely to get the same **** tax skill that was Inventory Management, with crazy prices to boot.
I don't agree that Inv Mgmt was just a tax skill. It was a very important part of the overall game balance and worked really well at keeping the player's finances from blowing out of control. I can't think of any other loot-based games which let you carry as much junk as BL does. They all have tight limits on inventory space for good reasons. I've played Skyrim with expanded inventory mods and it ruins the game. Money very quickly becomes meaningless once you can strip every dungeon clean of every last piece of loot. BL's inventory system is just like the old "Bag of Holding" mods. Just take it all and sort through it later. The weight and herd penalties are only really effective against heavy trade goods. Lighter gear barely makes an impact on it.

Inv Mgmt was a solid skill that worked really well. If you started the game with no points in Inv Mgmt, you got 30 slots to carry all your stuff. Add in food, horses, books and extra weapons, and you'd have maybe 20 slots for loot, which forced you to make choices in what you put in your inventory. Want to carry 10 quivers of arrows so that you can shoot all day long? Go for it, but its gonna cost you all that loot you'll have to leave behind. Even when you scored the motherlode in a giant battle, you could only take some of it, and that worked a lot better at limiting your income than the weird price jumps in BL. And it scaled well with your playthrough, since you could just spend another point on Inventory when you needed it, and that directly translated to more money. Now we just buy some more horses and we're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom