Seige equipment excluding the ballista are useless in seige defense.

Users who are viewing this thread

After playing through the same siege battle multiple times each time I have noticed that with the AI using the catapults cant destroy a single piece of enemy siege equipment. Played the fight 5 times to test this with the same fire catapult defenses. these are supposed to be the best for the defends yet they do nothing. they aim way to high to be effective against enemy infantry which with firepot rounds I expected to be focused on infantry not siege equipment after approximately 1 minute of advancing the towers coast under the rotation of the catapults and can no longer be shot at. During siege battles as the attacker I never use the ranged equipment and my siege towers nor my battering ram ever get destroyed by enemy siege defenses. With the current issues it comes down to who has the best infantry and they just bust open the gate on pile on the walls as your siege equipment is useless. I noticed a perk in the medical line that has 30% more siege equipment casualties not killed but again this is pointless because you only lose them to ballista's and rarely at that. catapults are completely useless and you cant pick what to build as the defenders even in my own fief so getting a ballista which is decent if you target enemy archers, as it can punch through multiples of them is random at best. I personally think that a large problem with steam rolling factions is because sieges are ridiculously easy if you have a decent infantry assault force as the defenders cant do anything. additionally ballista don't even punch through shields and I guarantee that they did with ease.

Agreed. I only ever tried using a catapult once in a siege battle and immediately stopped using it when I realized that it couldn't be aimed and that the firing arc was so high it was literally just a useless piece of equipment. As a defender I just made a mental note to only ever build ballista but making the catapults a viable option would actually be better.

Agreed. I only ever tried using a catapult once in a siege battle and immediately stopped using it when I realized that it couldn't be aimed and that the firing arc was so high it was literally just a useless piece of equipment. As a defender I just made a mental note to only ever build ballista but making the catapults a viable option would actually be better.
They can be aimed

how? you cant change the angle of elevation and it doesn't stop the AI operators from not even scratching siege equipment with them. barely does even 1/20 of a siege equipment's durability after 5 battles and the same results, only the ballista can be aimed the others just rotate to shot out of the map you cant change the angle of the shot at all.

I know they can be rotated but that does literally nothing when the angle of fire is so high that it no longer lands anywhere near the enemy or their siege equipment after the first 20 seconds of the battle.
the elevation can be controlled.

when you pull it back, press F again to stop the pull back.

Only issue is its so hard to aim without a pathfinder/crosshair

the elevation can be controlled.

when you pull it back, press F again to stop the pull back.

Only issue is its so hard to aim without a pathfinder/crosshair

Wow that seems like something that should have been taught, or had a visible mechanic to use, rather than something that someone would learn by accident. I'll have to check it out and see if I can get the hang of it. Either way this still proves the point that the siege equipment needs some sort of overhaul even if its a simple UI fix.

Last edited:
I am not arguing that at all but you would know HOW to aim it if you were running it. I didn't even know there was a way to stop the charge on the pulley until you mentioned it which means that the literal only way someone is going to learn that is if they happen to do it by accident in a battle and know what they did to make it work like that. Simply adding some sort of UI or even a tutorial training popup or something that tells you that you can charge the catapult instead of just firing it at maximum would make a massive difference.

I am not arguing that at all but you would know HOW to aim it if you were running it. I didn't even know there was a way to stop the charge on the pulley until you mentioned it which means that the literal only way someone is going to learn that is if they happen to do it by accident in a battle and know what they did to make it work like that. Simply adding some sort of UI or even a tutorial training popup or something that tells you that you can charge the catapult instead of just firing it at maximum would make a massive difference.
+1
Theres alot of missing "How-to" but i think the devs are focusing on developing/balancing/fixing the fundamentals first before creating guides and what not.
No point creating a tutorial of something you're not sure if you will keep in the game or not.

Much to do on the checklist I'd expect

Huh, you can control where they'd fall? Neat. Does that work with trebuchets too? I only noticed with that one 'put it down, put in rock, let fly'. I couldn't even see *what* I was shooting at.

But yeah, I expect tutorials to come in after they've implemented some things first. Like...making it so you don't fail the quest they put in...or making you as a ruler actually expend influence and gain/lose rep when they vote...

Wow that seems like something that should have been taught, or had a visible mechanic to use, rather than something that someone would learn by accident. I'll have to check it out and see if I can get the hang of it. Either way this still proves the point that the siege equipment needs some sort of overhaul even if its a simple UI fix.

You can use S and W, there is a small marker on the side left of the onager that will slide up and down, Same for trebuchets. It is not easy to see so many people miss it, should be in tutorial, could easy have siege weapons in the training camp and go through that info there.

4 catapults still cant bring down a single siege tower or battering ram, even if said siege tower is pathed directly to the catapult.

There is still a lot of issues, some maps the AI is really bad, in Vlandia towns the AI seems really good where the siege engines, mainly because of how the siege engines are placed. But every other town they are really bad.

In Aserai towns it doesn't matter, they siege engines can't fire low enough to actually hit the siege towers, no matter how good they are.

Haven't had a chance to try trebuchet yet
trebuchets have little iron thingy that you can move up and down for the range of fire (dont know how to say better)
if your on the front left side (looking at it from behind) there is this iron thingy on a wooden plank with some marks to it that you can move with W and S

Back
Top Bottom