Security and Loyalty improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Greetings warriors of Calradia, we have been working on balancing Security and Loyalty parameters of settlements for past 3-4 weeks.
Loyalty value is one of the most important values for the well-being and health of the settlement. There are lots of other parameters, such as Security, that effects Loyalty in a good or bad way. While balancing the values our aim was making them a bit realistic and can be effected by other actions. New terms "Security drift" and "Loyalty drift" have been implemented, so loyalty and security became more dynamic, they fit into significant variables between 0-100 according to environmental effects.
I will also share some data for you to compare the values before and after the update. You will be able to experience the balance of these values and their results when they are not in average with the next update.
Stay safe!

Loyalty values of settlements. (Before)
Before the update, most of the settlements were reaching maximum loyalty in one or two weeks. After some time, there could be sudden ups and downs for some settlements.
U9MRV.png

Loyalty values of settlements. (After)
After the updates, this value has become more wavy as can be seen in the graph. As a result of good or bad management, settlement's loyalty can go to the maximum or minumum value in long term.
G7WXh.png

Security values of settlements. (Before)
Similar as Loyalty graph, most of the settlements were reaching maximum security in one or two weeks.
WRMUf.png

Security values of settlements. (After)
Although Security is more dynamic than Loyalty, it is a value that can put the city in a difficult situation by effecting Loyalty in some cases.
vT2r8.png

Last edited:
if taxes and militia spawn were tied to loyalty, maybe war would be expensive and the snowballing would be less.
battle loot must be nerfed for this to be effective though.
and since you balanced loyalty, it will be even better.
good work!

Greetings warriors of Calradia, we have been working on balancing Security and Loyalty parameters of settlements for past 3-4 weeks.
Loyalty value is one of the most important values for the well-being and health of the settlement. There are lots of other parameters, such as Security, that effects Loyalty in a good or bad way. While balancing the values our aim was making them a bit realistic and can be effected by other actions. New terms "Security drift" and "Loyalty drift" have been implemented, so loyalty and security became more dynamic, they fit into significant variables between 0-100 according to environmental effects.
I will also share some data for you to compare the values before and after the update. You will be able to experience the balance of these values and their results when they are not in average with the next update.
Stay safe!

Before the update, most of the settlements were reaching maximum loyalty in one or two weeks. After some time, there could be sudden ups and downs for some settlements.
U9MRV.png

After the updates, this value has become more wavy as can be seen in the graph. As a result of good or bad management, settlement's loyalty can go to the maximum or minumum value in long term.
G7WXh.png

Similar as Loyalty graph, most of the settlements were reaching maximum security in one or two weeks.
WRMUf.png

Although Security is more dynamic than Loyalty, it is a value that can put the city in a difficult situation by effecting Loyalty in some cases.
vT2r8.png
Awesome post, thanks a bunch for the info. Also great graphs it is very clear that security and loyalty will be much more dynamic and not just drop for those cities that were starving+ruled by another culture.

What would also be a great visual is if you could limit a graph down to one city and put both its security and loyalty lines in so we can see how they correlate with each other.

I am also curious about if there are now ways for the player to influence these values more than the current ways of town project, building upgrades, governors, and keeping villages unraided?

Regardless if you answer these thank you for taking the time to post this!

Did you keep the mechanic of nearby bandit parties affecting Security?

It was around before, but in a bugged state, so I'd like to know if that was only a placeholder.

Interesting. I am guessing these changes will be very important for the upcoming rebellions feature too.
Exactly.

if taxes and militia spawn were tied to loyalty, maybe war would be expensive and the snowballing would be less.
battle loot must be nerfed for this to be effective though.
and since you balanced loyalty, it will be even better.
good work!
Yes, these balance changes also helped snowballing in a good way. Snowballing was not easy to balance, we always kept that in mind while doing these changes.

Did you keep the mechanic of nearby bandit parties affecting Security?
It was around before, but in a bugged state, so I'd like to know if that was only a placeholder.
Yes it is still effecting Security and effecting Loyalty indirectly. I also noticed and fixed the mini bug there :smile:

Thanks, great post! Any chance we can get some insight into what loyalty will be used for aside from the upcoming rebellion mechanics?
Low Loyalty already effects tax income, relations and powers of notables and town production speed.

Exactly.

Yes, these balance changes also helped snowballing in a good way. Snowballing was not easy to balance, we always kept that in mind while doing these changes.

Yes it is still effecting Security and effecting Loyalty indirectly. I also noticed and fixed the mini bug there :smile:

Low Loyalty already effects tax income, relations and powers of notables and town production speed.
Oh damn its gonna be important to keep loyalty high now

This one gives me some hesitation (although I don't know how big the effect is). Mainly because in late game bandit parties can get out of hand in an area where that faction has had several standing armies with the majority of lords, so they don't get enough solo time to clear out bandits. We may really need settlement patrols now, but I am assuming this actually makes a noticeable impact against security/loyalty

Stay safe!

U9MRV.png

G7WXh.png

WRMUf.png

vT2r8.png

Thanks for the info!

This one gives me some hesitation (although I don't know how big the effect is). Mainly because in late game bandit parties can get out of hand in an area where that faction has had several standing armies with the majority of lords, so they don't get enough solo time to clear out bandits. We may really need settlement patrols now, but I am assuming this actually makes a noticeable impact against security/loyalty

It is indeed something to take into account. Settlement patrols would be like a dream for me.

All this information needs to be explain to the player (not so much verbiage, more summarized) in the game. I don't think it is a good idea right at the beginning of the game, but for sure once you acquire your first fief.

Back
Top Bottom