Screenshottery Thread Mk.2

Users who are viewing this thread

"Inspired". Just see it as a fantasy game and it's fine.
I just hope some young impressionable people don't think they can learn about the history of Norway and England from this.
f1AjC.jpg

There's a drinking game
iHHL6.jpg
A dice game
yO5Mc.jpg
and flyting (spoken word rhyme battle)
qOhP0.jpg

Anyway, I hear there are RPG elements in the game so I look forward to managing a settlement - or whatever it might be.
Sk7QD.jpg

EVwz5.jpg
TgtK5.jpg
rTloZ.jpg
ejufq.jpg
ZrS_6.jpg
5ePGm.jpg
OhqkI.jpg
Phantom Doctrine, was on a big sale lately and I was keeping my eye on it for some time. The plot turns bonkers quickly, but even with serious delivery it feels like the devs kept their tongue in cheek, so that's acceptable. There's no random hit chance, weapons have two damage values and you either deal full or minimal, modified by cover, depending on whether the target has enough 'Awareness' mana to 'dodge'. Better? Worse? Objectively hard to say, but in this particular case it works well, if you plan things out and execute them there's no way for RNG to screw you over. Stealth aspect is gamey as hell, everyone just cares only about their tiny vision cone and won't mind broken glass on the ground, but that helps with your agents AI that makes them jump through windows willy-nilly, unless you really need them to jump in through window, then they'll stubbornly try to enter through a door that is watched by two cameras and a policeman.

"The Vikings never wore horned helmets" is something every normie has known for like 30 years, the pop culture depiction is now more like "Vikings were epic badasses who were all 7ft bodybuilders and the best warriors in the world" which is honestly way worse.
Horned helmets have been replaced by the more insidious biker leather.

I had some hope since for the most part, Assassin's Creed games tend to get outfits at least halfway decent for the regular NPCs at least, and if you squint hard enough you can suspend the disbelief enough to feel that you are in the depicted era. In Oddyssey for the first time even the player had several options to wear sensible armour. But in this one they seem to have gone full fur and leather fantasy bs.

Last edited:
I had some hope since for the most part, Assassin's Creed games tend to get outfits at least halfway decent for the regular NPCs at least, and if you squint hard enough you can suspend the disbelief enough to feel that you are in the depicted era. In Oddyssey for the first time even the player had several options to wear sensible armour.

Yeah, I was really surprised that even the ridiculous overdesigned athenians were wearing linothrax and had non corinthian helmets. The spartans looked terrible though.

That's AC Rogue, isn't it? I wanted to play it for no other reason but to play a game about the age of sail that is not set in the Caribbean, which I'm tired of.

hN4VS.jpg
c49Ka.jpg

9UFeD.jpg
wohaj.jpg

AfTdP.jpg

iyDQF.jpg

IDEQM.jpg

ZgZjO.jpg
NDqRj.jpg
XZPd3.jpg
BA5wY.jpg

HV4gI.jpg

iF8wa.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but being a guy I never understood why guys would choose female characters in games (when given a choice). It feels more immersive to me if I play with a dude because I know I'll never fully understand what it's like to be a woman, but I can "pretend to be" the guy I'm playing as.

Then again in most action games you play as a psychopath mass murderer anyway, so why do I even care.

It feels more immersive to me if I play with a dude because I know I'll never fully understand what it's like to be a woman, but I can "pretend to be" the guy I'm playing as.

On the contrary, I don't understand what it's like to be 99.9999% of men or women, and in video games I never feel like I'm playing as "myself" because I can't imagine myself in any of the ridiculous situations video games put you in, so I usually just roleplay as a character. If I wanted to get immersed in a dangerous world with lots of enemies I would just go for a walk.

If I do play an RPG or some game where you play as a character and not just an avatar, I have to specifically design a character that makes sense in the game, and 9 times out of 10 this means they are so exaggerated that no human being could relate to them. For instance in Fallout 4 I tried a few more subdued female characters that I really liked initially, but the game logic basically pushed against their entire personality, so eventually I just went with a neckbeard school shooter who massacred everything, and suddenly it felt more natural and I never felt like I was breaking character, even though the "character" was reprehensible and completely one-dimensional. Similarly in Warband most of my characters ended up as vengeful bloodthirsty psychopaths.

Women have better clothing options in most games anyway.

so eventually I just went with a neckbeard school shooter who massacred everything, and suddenly it felt more natural and I never felt like I was breaking character, even though the "character" was reprehensible and completely one-dimensional. Similarly in Warband most of my characters ended up as vengeful bloodthirsty psychopaths.

Precisely, which is why I added this

Then again in most action games you play as a psychopath mass murderer anyway, so why do I even care.

I do try to "roleplay" my characters too, but I have found that if I connect with them in whatever tiny way then it gets me a bit more involved in the story. Them having balls isn't really much to go by, but sometimes it's the only thing you've got when they are literal genocidal machines.

Some of my favourite games have female protagonists (The Longest Journey series, Life Is Strange 1&2, (recent) Tomb Raider games...)
I guess I just see games as movies and I'm following a character. I don't need to immerse myself like that.

But I've also played as the male protagonist (both named Eivor) - he has better voice acting.

Close-ups
HIE1o.jpg
Q7liq.jpg
Az6gk.jpg
B4drv.jpg
CoWyX.jpg
H_VF0.jpg
QxEXB.jpg
j64_A.jpg
oUxHB.jpg

oGD-L.jpg

Back