SCREENSHOTS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always think that great helm is really ugly, personally  :lol: I quite like the one Thomas Bérard wears (the one with the really high-quality graphics) and I did consider buying one with a mantle and wreath while I was crusading.

Introducing anno von Sangerhausen to real English ale, perhaps? Or is he introducing me to German lager?  :grin:

I find it cool because it looks fairly simple and old, if not even rusty.. which is awesome for my mercenary camptain, who's behaving like a knight despite being of common birth :razz: Pity it doesn't have the coif, really.. would be perfect.. it even looks like it was deformed by lance's hits :grin:

I too find the helm really ugly.

But I don't use full helmets anyway, despite their better protection values. I need to identifiy with my character, and I personally would NEVER use a full helmet, I would always prefer sight over protection, because sight is a protection itself. I would probably always have used either a Norman helmet with coif, a flat topped helmet with coif (I think they are offering even better protection!) or a Bascinet with mail coif, depending on the medieval era (early, high, late).

Osprey says that experienced fighters chose to use open helmets, too.  :wink:

zwischenablage04z4dd4.jpg

Joker86 said:
I too find the helm really ugly.

But I don't use full helmets anyway, despite their better protection values. I need to identifiy with my character, and I personally would NEVER use a full helmet, I would always prefer sight over protection, because sight is a protection itself. I would probably always have used either a Norman helmet with coif, a flat topped helmet with coif (I think they are offering even better protection!) or a Bascinet with mail coif, depending on the medieval era (early, high, late).

Also besides sight breathing can be of important relevance too deciding between a closed or an open helm.

But I would never choose a flat topped helmet over a conical one.
It is much easier to deform a flat topped helmet so the head might be injured.
The advantage of the conical helm is, that the strikes can glance of. That's why you will never see flat topped helmets after
the 13th century anymore. Even the greathelms of that period change into a bit more conical forms for exemple the sugar loaf helmet.

But really, if you are actually in a fight you would choose a closed helmet if you could. Your chances of survival would be higher.
Mail will be assure that you will survive the battle wounded not killed, but a stab to the face is allways deadly.

Anyways I think too that that helmet is ugly as ****. Has it even a reference?

Life_Erikson said:
I would never choose a flat topped helmet over a conical one.
It is much easier to deform a flat topped helmet so the head might be injured.
The advantage of the conical helm is, that the strikes can glance of. That's why you will never see flat topped helmets after
the 13th century anymore. Even the greathelms of that period change into a bit more conical forms for exemple the sugar loaf helmet.

But really, if you are actually in a fight you would choose a closed helmet if you could. Your chances of survival would be higher.
Mail will be assure that you will survive the battle wounded not killed, but a stab to the face is allways deadly.

Anyways I think too that that helmet is ugly as ****. Has it even a reference?

If somehow penetrated directly from above, then yes, the flat surface is more easily to penetrate. But I think most blows will come from diagonally above, and that's where they will hit the edge of the flat topped helmet, which should be the hardest (and I guess thickest) part anyway, and even if penetrated there is a lot of space between the helmet and you skull. But with a conical helm a blow which comes from diagonally above and is in line with the inner axis of the helmets hits on a surface that's almost flat, and will more likely penetrate. That's at least what I suppose. I hope you understand what I want to say.

The helmet does have references, but unfortunately I must say that I think that the model make the helmet a little bit too high and the top a little bit too big. It did become bigger around its top, but not that much, I think.

Life_Erikson said:
Bout that , the fact is that closed helms were made for horseback and opened for when on foot.

Joker86 said:
zwischenablage04z4dd4.jpg
English were on foot at Azincourt .

No screenshot sorry  :oops:

DrTomas said:
You know what might change your mind on the open helmet? Having a plastic surgery done via mace on a field of battle.

Still I say an open helmet allows me to see it better and to do something about it.  :razz:

Though I have never worn one, I have read that a great helm is actually not as cumbersome as you may think. They apparently fit very closely to the eyes, so the range of vision is still quite reasonable.

I think the main reason for some knights casting their helms off after the lance charge was because they were really hot.

DrTomas said:
You know what might change your mind on the open helmet? Having a plastic surgery done via mace on a field of battle.

:lol:

As I am doing full contact steel fighting I'm quite happy with my occular helmet.
If I had a nasal helmet I would have allready reached exactly this point.

Most blows seem to glance of the helmet on the forehead but I would have probably hurt my cheekbones several times
if there wasn't the occular thingy.  :wink:

But I think Tcherski might be right.
Many armor peaces were develloped because of impact warfare as the coat of plates.
The knights might have encountered the problem of lances sticking out of there heads which lead
to the conclusion.  :lol:

English_Knight said:
I have read that a great helm is actually not as cumbersome as you may think. They apparently fit very closely to the eyes, so the range of vision is still quite reasonable.

This

I used to wear two or three types of replicated great helmet and going in to the emulated combat tranning event hosted by "Creative Anachronism Arts and Sciences". The helmet have straps that could be adjust, and they are stuffed with sponge, padded cloth. There are also many size to choose in order to give the wearer clearest vision. The vision alone is not much different from when you wear the goggles or glasses.
  On the contray, the rule of SCA's heavy combat practice stated that the fighter have to act as if they are wearing open helmet, yet they force the fighter to wear closed helm, although most weapons made from rattan and the tip of them is covered by sponge...

And yeah, from my own experience (It could also me that I'm just suck/noob) the tip of the enemies' weapon oftenly past through my defense and reach my face, especially at my eyes....

Anyways, back to the topic.

mb17.jpg

:neutral: This guy again

mb18.jpg

UMAD BRO? & Chillin Hastatus

Open helmets (cervellieres or bascinets) were worn together/under the great helms.
pic_spot_ghelm20.jpg
it was standard practice to drop the great helm in close combat or after crushing lance (it protected against lance splinters).
pic_spot_ghelm18.jpg

Waldzios said:
Open helmets (cervellieres or bascinets) were worn together/under the great helms.
pic_spot_ghelm20.jpg
it was standard practice to drop the great helm in close combat or after crushing lance (it protected against lance splinters).
pic_spot_ghelm18.jpg

Well, that was before the visor was introduced.  :wink:

However to get back on topic:
A wonderfull screen of London Bridge:
cp1gi8623e1s.jpg

Nice one! Can you cross it and get all the way to Southwark? I've never tried  :wink:

So, I returned to Merry Old England from Crusade. I returned to Lincoln and invited the Templars there. But where was the King? I eventually found out from Hugh de Vere that the King was in Scotland...I was disappointed to find out that we are now at war with Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Aragon (when I left on Crusade, we were at war with France, Ireland and Aragon).

I attacked King Alexander with my inferior numbers
5oz03r.jpg

Finally, my archers arrived to the battlefield! We were being pinned down by the Scots' mercenary crossbowmen
2wf3403.jpg

Lincoln is thriving (even if it keeps getting raided)
2z7ip3n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom