SCREENSHOTS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life_Erikson said:
He probably means a "Gassenhauer" which would be the right word.

"Flamberges" Didn't really exist in the middle ages. They are a poduct of romaticism in the 19th century.

right and wrong. Flamberg is renaissance weapon but was not a common weapon on the battlefield. It was more used as parade weapon.

toxic-nova said:
Life_Erikson said:

"Flamberges" Didn't really exist in the middle ages. They are a poduct of romaticism in the 19th century.

right and wrong. Flamberg is renaissance weapon but was not a common weapon on the battlefield. It was more used as parade weapon.

I've read though that the flamey shape has certain advantages in the battle, penetres armor easier or something.

So I started another game with a nice little plot  :wink:

The story so far:
So my character is a Norse descendant, his great great great grandfather was a viking and fought in Britain in 1066. After the Vikings lost, his family stayed in Britain. Eventually they converted to Christianity.

My character's name is Olaf Bjorgensen, a impoverished noble who lost his land after his father's death. His father was indebted and the land was taken away from him. He is not a lord of the English even though he has royal connections. His father was a well known lord and some of his fame came down upon Olaf. Olaf inherited his father's old Axe- this axe was his great great great grandfather's, same person who was the first to set foot on Britain from their clan. He also inherited his father's sword, the Nordic war sword, made in Scandinavia.

After Olaf gathered a small group of men to follow him, he started his way south, to mainland Europe, hoping he will have more luck there. However after days of travel through the English terrains, they soon ran out of food. Having no money, he made a hard decision. They spotted an English caravan. After seeing his men starving and threatening to leave his group, he sounded the attack. They plundered the caravan, however a few men managed to escape informing the English king which made Olaf a wanted man. While the English were fighting the Welsh, Olaf managed to travel quite a distance without being detected. Unfortunately an English lord who was passing through the forest where the group was hiding caught the band and Olaf was taken prisoner. He was sent to a trial in London. He is to be sent to the Holy Land to help the English and French forces defeat the infidels. Having no other choice, he agreed to the terms and was set free soon after.

A ship transferred him to France from where he continued his way in another direction- towards Spain. He spent a few months there fighting the Moors under the command of a Castillian lord. He was dismissed from his services and he continued his way to Sicily. On his way there he had visited Venice and Rome. Which grew to his heart largely. He then continued his way to the Balkans, crossing the Adriatic from Brinidisi. He arrived at Thesallonica few months later where he joined a local lord in the fight against the Latin Empire. But they were outnumbered largely and Olaf was taken prisoner again. This time he managed to escape before the Latin forces were able to take him to Athens, he fled the country and crossed the Aegean. He found himself in Byzantium yet again. Moving through the Asia Minor was easy up until he reached the borders of Kingdom of Jerusalem.

A traveler told him that the city of Tarsus was besieged by the Mamelukes. Hearing this, he rode his horse towards the besieged city in order to help out. He snuck his way in trough the Mameluke guards and got inside the city. However, a week later the siege was lifted- Mamelukes were distracted by the forces of their nemesis- the Ilkhanate, who were moving their troops south through the Holy Land in order to strike the Muslims in their own territory. After seeing the two armies fight, Thoros of Cilicia, Olaf's commander, and the other two lords who were besieged in the castle moved in to help the Ilkhanate. During the fighting they stumbled upon the Grandmaster of the Teutons who moved in to help their allies as well. The allied forces were still in much smaller number. After the first wave, the allies were repelled. Having too many casualties on both sides, Thoros decides to retreat to Tarsus. Olaf didn't wish to follow his commander so instead, he continued his way to the Holy city of Jerusalem. He met the Grandmaster of the Knight's Templar there, Thomas Berard. Grandmaster took Olaf to be his soldier. He's been in his service ever since...

Photos:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

mb2g.jpg

mb3xo.jpg

scaled.php

mb5i.jpg

mb6y.jpg

YourStepDad said:
toxic-nova said:
Life_Erikson said:

I've read though that the flamey shape has certain advantages in the battle, penetres armor easier or something.

A quote from 'A Visual History of Arms & Armor.' The bolded sentence is the one that mentions flamberges, if you want to skip ahead.

Parade Sword

"In 16th- and early 17th- century Germany, particularly ornate two-handed swords such as this example were used on ceremonial occasions. These paratschwerter (parade swords, also called "bearing swords") were longer and heavier than battlefield weapons, and often so ornate that they were of little use as offensive weapons. The flame form of the blade (flammenschwert) was impressive, but made little difference to its cutting qualities."

However, this is just one source and I'm no expert at judging whether they are reliable or not.

Leonidas300 said:
mb2g.jpg

mb3xo.jpg

scaled.php

mb5i.jpg

mb6y.jpg

Liparteliani?are you from Georgia?try to check Ilkhanid towns,where you'll be able to hire Georgian mercenaries.  :wink:

DarkShogun417 said:
However, this is just one source and I'm no expert at judging whether they are reliable or not.
If the advantage in blade design was notable, at least the succeeding cutting weapons would have used it...but they haven't (except for a couple of fancy rapiers). A blade hacks or – even better and often inevitable – cuts through softer material. What benefit would it be to reduce the parts which do the damage? Plus, the whole element of fencing from the bind of the blades would be complicated. It's a piece of fashion, hardly more. And AFAIK they didn't make up the majority of these overlong twohanded swords, to return to the topic.

For those who understand German, this article for the umpteenth time. :razz:

Yes, I completely agree. Most people seem to accord that the flamy patterns on flamberges are largely ceremonial. More often I've heard that more simple designs would be more effective.

2012-03-16_00025.jpg

2012-03-16_00019.jpg

2012-03-16_00004.jpg

2012-03-16_00005.jpg

2012-03-16_00006.jpg

2012-03-16_00008.jpg

2012-03-16_00009.jpg

2012-03-16_00012.jpg

2012-03-16_00013.jpg

2012-03-16_00011.jpg

2012-03-16_00023.jpg

Status