Screenshot Mega Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
jacobhinds said:
Pila are unsuitable for melee. During the Marian reforms there was a thing similar to the testudo where they'd bunch up and stick the pila out to deter cavalry, but for the most part they had separate divisions of spearmen. I believe it was similar during the migration period, but with far more spearmen.

After Marius though wasn't all the heavy infantry standardised, as in no spearmen? I thought that was the case. The hasta was used in the early centuries, but I've never read a definitive statement on when it stopped being used. I have a feeling the Triarii retained it after the Hastati began using the pilum (a form of pilum was adopted long before Marius, but he adapted it as Sir Prince mentioned as well as paying the legions, supplying their equipment and standardising it), but I can't be certain that my only source for that isn't Rome Total War 1!

I know the pilum wasn't suitable for melee but I have read about it being used as a make do spear at times. As long as you don't need to do a hard thrust with it and just poke at the enemy, it probably served the role well enough.

jacobhinds said:
Short answer: it can't. I'm watching heroofcarthage and legendoftotalwar, and the roman main line infantry craps itself in melee. Despite their magic doomstacks, they lose a lot of territory really early on and most of the former empire ends up being razed. That's a real immersion breaker for me.
Cool! Another HoC fan.

DanAngleland said:
It appears that your infantry got beaten up in the first Sassanid battle by enemy spearmen, who looked lightly equipped in the typical Persian style of big shield and little armour. Is that the case or was it the enemy missiles which hurt you most? I know this period is about the end of Roman supremacy, but if Roman infantry can't match what look like crappy infantrymen, how does a Roman faction avoid getting snuffed out entirely?
Yeah the Persian spear levies are pushovers, it's the Sassanid cavalry, especially their horse archers, which are the real problem.

jacobhinds said:
Short answer: it can't. I'm watching heroofcarthage and legendoftotalwar, and the roman main line infantry craps itself in melee. Despite their magic doomstacks, they lose a lot of territory really early on and most of the former empire ends up being razed. That's a real immersion breaker for me.
Huh? I'm not sure what they have that is different, but cohorts are the best tier 1 infantry that isn't some kind of elite or specialized unit. The equivalent of cohorts are spear levies, which 1 on 1 could never beat a cohort. What units were they fighting?

More Total War: Attila

pmDfS.jpg
pLJqd.jpg
wTNbu.jpg
SMOiI.jpg
rbLXQ.jpg
LNLLS.jpg
Gs8e6.jpg
kXeOe.jpg
wWLzD.jpg
KnWOX.jpg
svYb7.jpg
wTlOx.jpg
3ODbB.jpg
4YqkE.jpg
VISuw.jpg
Qy-Tv.jpg

Dodes said:
Huh? I'm not sure what they have that is different, but cohorts are the best tier 1 infantry that isn't some kind of elite or specialized unit. The equivalent of cohorts are spear levies, which 1 on 1 could never beat a cohort. What units were they fighting?

I was talking about comitatenses, not cohors. The ai only seemed to recruit comitatenses with a small compliment of crossbows and cavalry. Legendoftotalwar came across three stacks of 'tensy spears and killed them all with horse archers, melee'ing the last stack because he ran out of ammo.

F38BFBC91CFC88C80149FA994C918F90FF351CFE

4AB156D519ABA2059E677FF7882010CB0D67B1A3

1814A17A53DC76415B27CF1E7E21ADAEF2F4D4C1

C6694E444BF4931E90DFC726DFB17E64CA3DC86D

Docm30 said:
No meatspace in this thread, pal. I'm calling the cops.

**** you.

Elisianthus said:
Demonstrating my pro screenshotting sills are not restricted by media:

(Apologies they're ****)

EDIT: Also, far too large and forgot to resize - I'll deal with this later. In the mean time, large image warning.

Germans = Blue, Russians = Brown.
LX7QG.jpg

dnJtU.jpg

'S true - half the counters on the board are out of it. Well, I have leaders left to rally with...

3adr7.jpg

And some perspective, for maximum twatness, and to show off stack heights.

0iOkG.jpg

Total War: Attila

ZO1ZG.jpg
NpkCS.jpg
Xnmrk.jpg
yxEn_.jpg
MLjd9.jpg
8kG3g.jpg
_GCMq.jpg
4oAPJ.jpg
aPTbw.jpg
IiXRO.jpg
YU6iV.jpg
SHxhZ.jpg
PjB7l.jpg
QEvm2.jpg
1kORU.jpg
wPbkY.jpg
4hkqf.jpg
8yIZA.jpg
mWSKE.jpg
fgQIM.jpg
D30nW.jpg
2_xU2.jpg
eWhqo.jpg
uGW1T.jpg
4SbRG.jpg

Last Friday we did Star Wars names, and decided that we would do Star Trek this Friday. It turned out to be oddly appropriate, complete with a pre-linebattle inspection where we had to quote our character. RIP Spock.
E83853583E8F1E76B7C14078C99A72AA1E7F10E5

Stealing the Taiidan carrier:
0RJQu.png
I always hated the asteroids mission, but now it's even worse because my ships elect to simply fly into them, causing them to explode on contact(which makes my fighters or bombers completely useless.) The asteroids don't seamlessly break off into smaller ones, instead there's a delay between them and to top it all off, after about five tries, I finally got through it but lo and behold, the objectives didn't trigger so I have to start it all over again.
vmBzO.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom