Screenshot Mega Thread

Currently Viewing (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
If they made fire arrows look like fire arrows they'd be invisible from the types of zoom levels people typically use, and in most TW games fire arrows are completely useless besides aesthetics. Like the ICBM catapults they probably just wanted a stereotypical cinematic effect.

Dodes

Count
M&BWBWF&S
Best answers
Bloc said:
Dodes said:
Total War: Atillia

Am I the only one who thinks arrows looks really ugly?
It's because arrow trails are turned on so I can actually see who is firing at whom and how much.

jacobhinds said:
If they made fire arrows look like fire arrows they'd be invisible from the types of zoom levels people typically use, and in most TW games fire arrows are completely useless besides aesthetics. Like the ICBM catapults they probably just wanted a stereotypical cinematic effect.
There are four arrow types now (usually) and they actually show what the different types do. Fire arrows give a morale penalty with a lower reload rate. Heavy shot has higher armor penetration with a lower reload rate. Whistling arrows give a slight morale penalty for all units they fly over with a high reload rate. And the forth is just regular arrows. Artillery is definitely a bit ridiculous though. It's hard to acquire though, coming only from mercenaries and a lvl 3 industrial building chain.

DanAngleland

Grandmaster Knight
M&BWBWF&SNW
Best answers
Do the Romans have separate spear and sword infantry then? Is that how it was in real life at this time? I can't think why they would go from having sword infantry (old legion) with a large javelin which was utilised as a spear when needed (ie against cavalry) to having dedicated sword and spear troops.

It appears that your infantry got beaten up in the first Sassanid battle by enemy spearmen, who looked lightly equipped in the typical Persian style of big shield and little armour. Is that the case or was it the enemy missiles which hurt you most? I know this period is about the end of Roman supremacy, but if Roman infantry can't match what look like crappy infantrymen, how does a Roman faction avoid getting snuffed out entirely?

Best answers
Short answer: it can't. I'm watching heroofcarthage and legendoftotalwar, and the roman main line infantry craps itself in melee. Despite their magic doomstacks, they lose a lot of territory really early on and most of the former empire ends up being razed. That's a real immersion breaker for me.

Sir Prince

Formerly Reformed Spammer
Count
M&BWBWF&SNW
Best answers
The pilum wasn't really a spear, it was a javelin. Although from what I've read there does seem to be different variations (some had stronger iron for the whole metal part, while others had a soft metal section so it would bend after getting stuck in an enemies shield causing them to discard the shield, and couldn't be thrown back at them) and they got lighter by Atilla's time period. It wasn't really an anti-cav weapon though, although it would work better than their swords.

Best answers
Pila are unsuitable for melee. During the Marian reforms there was a thing similar to the testudo where they'd bunch up and stick the pila out to deter cavalry, but for the most part they had separate divisions of spearmen. I believe it was similar during the migration period, but with far more spearmen.

BenKenobi

Duke
WBNW
Best answers
jacobhinds said:
In Praetorians they did it so the smoke from flaming arrows was affected by wind. It was as unreal as this TW thing but at least it didn't look like a rocket assisted projectile.

DanAngleland

Grandmaster Knight
M&BWBWF&SNW
Best answers
jacobhinds said:
Pila are unsuitable for melee. During the Marian reforms there was a thing similar to the testudo where they'd bunch up and stick the pila out to deter cavalry, but for the most part they had separate divisions of spearmen. I believe it was similar during the migration period, but with far more spearmen.
After Marius though wasn't all the heavy infantry standardised, as in no spearmen? I thought that was the case. The hasta was used in the early centuries, but I've never read a definitive statement on when it stopped being used. I have a feeling the Triarii retained it after the Hastati began using the pilum (a form of pilum was adopted long before Marius, but he adapted it as Sir Prince mentioned as well as paying the legions, supplying their equipment and standardising it), but I can't be certain that my only source for that isn't Rome Total War 1!

I know the pilum wasn't suitable for melee but I have read about it being used as a make do spear at times. As long as you don't need to do a hard thrust with it and just poke at the enemy, it probably served the role well enough.

The Meddling Monk

Master Knight
WBNWVCM&BWF&S
Best answers
jacobhinds said:
Short answer: it can't. I'm watching heroofcarthage and legendoftotalwar, and the roman main line infantry craps itself in melee. Despite their magic doomstacks, they lose a lot of territory really early on and most of the former empire ends up being razed. That's a real immersion breaker for me.
Cool! Another HoC fan.

Dodes

Count
M&BWBWF&S
Best answers
DanAngleland said:
It appears that your infantry got beaten up in the first Sassanid battle by enemy spearmen, who looked lightly equipped in the typical Persian style of big shield and little armour. Is that the case or was it the enemy missiles which hurt you most? I know this period is about the end of Roman supremacy, but if Roman infantry can't match what look like crappy infantrymen, how does a Roman faction avoid getting snuffed out entirely?
Yeah the Persian spear levies are pushovers, it's the Sassanid cavalry, especially their horse archers, which are the real problem.

jacobhinds said:
Huh? I'm not sure what they have that is different, but cohorts are the best tier 1 infantry that isn't some kind of elite or specialized unit. The equivalent of cohorts are spear levies, which 1 on 1 could never beat a cohort. What units were they fighting?

More Total War: Attila

Best answers
Dodes said:
Huh? I'm not sure what they have that is different, but cohorts are the best tier 1 infantry that isn't some kind of elite or specialized unit. The equivalent of cohorts are spear levies, which 1 on 1 could never beat a cohort. What units were they fighting?
I was talking about comitatenses, not cohors. The ai only seemed to recruit comitatenses with a small compliment of crossbows and cavalry. Legendoftotalwar came across three stacks of 'tensy spears and killed them all with horse archers, melee'ing the last stack because he ran out of ammo.

shadowarcher

Marquis
WBM&BWF&SNW
Best answers

Radalan

Count
WB
Best answers
Played Magicka with friends. Had ****ing blast. Fraps made it crash though.  :sad:

Burned all the heretics and froze their crops.

Status
Not open for further replies.