Screens (monitors)

Users who are viewing this thread

ukkid1991

Recruit
Hey everyone,
                  Well my new PC should be arriving soon (this week hopefully), and  i need to find a screen. I was thinking about one with a resolution of 1600x1050. My only concern is some games I play on my laptop only have the aspect ration of 4:3 i.e resolutions of 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960 etc. I was wondering if anyone knew differently and whether getting a monitor with a 1600x1050 resolution would be a good idea  :neutral:

Depends on the price :smile:

Most games do tend to have a 4:3 ratio, though who knows if that will change in the future. The thing you want to check is your graphics card - not much point in paying a few hundred for a 1600x1050 resolution monitor if the only thing that is useable at that resolution is the desktop.

Should be. Assuming there's nothing else causing a bottleneck in the system. You can always drop the resolution down.

Its one of those things though - on the one hand, you can buy a whole new PC and keep the same monitor, so its not like your losing out. On the other hand, if your going to do that you may as well wait and buy it when the PC can support it and the monitor is cheaper. Then again, you could be run over and killed by a bus tomorrow :lol:

You could always get a big plasma screen TV and just connect your PC up to that, win/win either way then :smile:

"buy a whole new PC and keep the moniter"

1. Im using a laptop so it might be difficult to remove the screen  :???:

2. The only screen i have is a 14" CRT with a max resolution of 1024x768  :shock:

Plasma screen - Out of my price range.

I have about £300 for screen, so if you could point me to some good ones  :grin:

ukkid1991 said:
1. Im using a laptop so it might be difficult to remove the screen  :???:
I was thinking future proof wise. Should you decide to buy a new PC in two years, you can still keep the same monitor no? You'd be surprised how much you can shave off the cost of a decent PC if your keeping your old monitor, keyboard, mouse & speakers. (not to mention soundcard, drives and similar, if you want to go down that route :smile:)
I have about £300 for screen, so if you could point me to some good ones  :grin:
Not the best person to ask about monitors - I tend to just go for the biggest screen I can find with a decent resolution and low price :smile: Also hate TFT's, so unless you want a CRT...

Try looking up a couple of monitors on the net, then google them. Bound to find a few tech reviews and similar.

If you go TV, wait six months.  Factories in China will be coming on line soon and before Christmas we'll be seeing 30" flatscreen TVs for $150.  It's going to be absolutely unreal.  Large tube TVs will be gone forever.

Now, incedentally, is a good time to go shopping for a large tube TV, because stores know it's coming and are trying to liquidate their stock at good prices before the storm hits.

I have the older version of this http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=2007W3Y&c=us&cat=snp&category_id=6198&cs=19&l=en&mnf=694&Page=productlisting.aspx which fits within your price range (300 pounds is like 500+ usd). It's a better version of what I have, and what I have kicks total awesomeness to the max. I have no trouble widescreen gaming, in fact most games have settings for it, and if not you can edit the config or registry with no problems. If you want 4:3 theres http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=20073YR&c=us&cat=snp&category_id=5194&cs=19&l=en&mnf=694&Page=productlisting.aspx which squeaks into your price range as well. I'm not too up on this one, but it shouldn't be too different compared to the widescreen.

Back
Top Bottom