Scrap the "main story"

What to do with the main story?

• Keep working on it

Votes: 66 31.7%
  • Polish it, and leave it as it is (+ Add an option to ignore it entirely)

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • Remove it completely for a while, continue work once (if) the rest of the game's completed

Votes: 32 15.4%
  • Only keep the basic combat tutorial, no forced family or narrative, scrap everything else (+)

Votes: 36 17.3%
  • Replace it with a Warband-like side-mission-sort of tutorial (meaning also +)

Votes: 23 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

You can follow those quotes. I straight up asked and they said its not a priority but they may do it at some point. (BTW, same with looking at armor values because armor does practically nothing in the game).
Yes but that its not a priority now can mean anthing, no where in that does he say it will never be implemented. In VC it was added later.

I'm tired of this. I give you a direct quote from TW saying they "may" do it in the future and you keep saying its sure to happen. This is pointless.
I never said it was sure, i just say a saw long ago that a dev said they intended to have it, for all we know it could have changed. I think this is a misunderstanding, from your first post i though you meant to say it would never happen, when i said i had read it was a thing they had talked about implementing in the future.

It's horrendous writing.

I feel like the bad writing is a massively overlooked aspect of the problems with bannerlord. Both the general story arc as well as the individual dialogues are the worst writing I've ever seen in a studio produced video game. Character motivations are all over the place, nothing makes any sense if you think about it for more than a second, and the dialogue doesn't flow well at all. I don't think their writer is a native english speaker, either that or someone in management was interfering too much.

In Warband this was passable because the dialogue was mostly functional and the focus of the game was about characters expressing themselves through action, not motivation (which you could imply in your own head to some degree).

I feel like the bad writing is a massively overlooked aspect of the problems with bannerlord. Both the general story arc as well as the individual dialogues are the worst writing I've ever seen in a studio produced video game. Character motivations are all over the place, nothing makes any sense if you think about it for more than a second, and the dialogue doesn't flow well at all. I don't think their writer is a native english speaker, either that or someone in management was interfering too much.

In Warband this was passable because the dialogue was mostly functional and the focus of the game was about characters expressing themselves through action, not motivation (which you could imply in your own head to some degree).

Well---> Dev Blog 18/01/18 - Q&A with Steve Negus

The truth is, it surprises me, too. I guess there's still time, but shouldn't Bannerlord (as a prequel, I say) be the ideal title to settle the universal lore and clear all the fog and inconnections surrounding in Warband?

Players need the option to play without the story-mode on subsequent play throughs. At the very least, the irritating and insistent alarms associated with ‘Stop the Conspiracy’ quest need to be disabled. Why continually remind us about something we either don’t care about or can’t do anything about anyway?

no story or make it give u lance with banner reward or somthing mayeb pick what u do with that peice fr speical made weapon

Meanwhile here I am on TW Attila, cleaning up uncooperative Holy Roman vassals and Aragon, all while trying to recover from the black death and secure newly conquered territories:
0334251E063BEBE098D1BC577E415A00703C221A
8AF519B3B89EDE6D18D8695833417DF98513DAA0

I've been running this campaign for over a hundred years in-game and I'm still not anywhere close to being bored. This game, without any story or dialogue whatsoever except ones you make up in your own mind has me immersed more than I could ever Bannerlord doing in the current path it seems to be taking. Some side missions and companion stories can initially be good, but imagine progressing a campaign for centuries and you're still doing the exact same missions. It'll get boring, whereas a dynamic world such as that of 1212AD's, though imperfect in many aspects sure, won't get boring as quickly, you can always come up with better stories and lore and that keeps you going. Especially if you like worldbuilding / writing or just fantasizing, this can be a powerful incentive in fictional settings.

I could make a whole another thread comparing / making suggestions while taking inspiration from 1212 AD, but for now this part was relevant.

Last edited:
I’m surprised this many people want a story in game.
I am disappointed.
A linear main story doesn't bother you? IN A SANDBOX RPG?
Pretty much this. It makes no sense to include a character and action defining story in M&B. I think it is very misguided and I have got to wonder if most of the positive votes here aren't just the usual developer knight yes man, that will support anything coming from TW.

@ZydrateTheSmoothCriminal : What's that mod on Attila? I really love Total War games, and have been playing while waiting more advance on Bannerlord.

And about the main story, I think it could be fun with the right script and and ending that made sense for each culture... I waited 8 years, or less.. when i met warband, it was late already. What is a year or more couple months? I prefer they work and make a good game than trying to restrict them doing new things for their franchise to improve and next games comes out with many other new things, feature, engines, whatever.

But, the main story needs a end that make sense... Arenico's death? You taking over one portion of the Empire ( or creating a new one, whatever each player loves) or destroy the Empire. Other cultures each has its own story so it could lead to somehting like that, if i reclll Battania last king went "missing", so the battanian player would find out the true and denunce the "missing", which could lead to rebellion/civil war/taking over battania as next king.

People just need be creative, doesn't need go on extremes of scrapping it out. Because, even if you're doing the main questline, which ppl can ignore. You're also creating the history of your dynasty.

Be creative

Just remove the whole main story and replace it with a simple "starter quest" (similar to Warband) that can be declined, but good for starting out.

I don't get it why a open world, sandbox game needs a forced story: I want to play at my own pace and not get spoonfed some excuse plot about some kind of battle, my siblings bla bla, why does the game even assume I have siblings? Do only child main characters don't exist in the world of Bannerlord or what? I couldn't care less about my siblings whom I don't even get introduced to and their only personality trait is them being my siblings and that's it.

Just remove the whole main story and replace it with a simple "starter quest" (similar to Warband) that can be declined, but good for starting out.

I don't get it why a open world, sandbox game needs a forced story: I want to play at my own pace and not get spoonfed some excuse plot about some kind of battle, my siblings bla bla, why does the game even assume I have siblings? Do only child main characters don't exist in the world of Bannerlord or what? I couldn't care less about my siblings whom I don't even get introduced to and their only personality trait is them being my siblings and that's it.

This.

I have no problem with them having some sort of main quest. I'm sure that appeals to some people and if they want to put work into that I don't think that necessarily a bad time investment.

What I can't for the life of me understand, was the decision to implement as is, as it was on launch. How, or why, would you think putting in a broken totally incomplete placeholder, that exists for no reason what so ever but to frustrate people. It could have just been left out and the minimal effort of a create kingdom button could have been there from the get-go.

This also rings true for having all perks listed as if they're functioning with absolutely no indication other wise. Just.... have a little respect for the people who payed for your game jeez.

What I can't for the life of me understand, was the decision to implement as is, as it was on launch. How, or why, would you think putting in a broken totally incomplete placeholder, that exists for no reason what so ever but to frustrate people. It could have just been left out and the minimal effort of a create kingdom button could have been there from the get-go.

It really doesn't make sense when you consider one of the explicitly broken/not implemented features on release was kingdom management and they said so right upfront. Meanwhile, here's this quest that leads you to create your own kingdom.

Like paving a road leading up to a broken bridge...

I am disappointed.

Pretty much this. It makes no sense to include a character and action defining story in M&B. I think it is very misguided and I have got to wonder if most of the positive votes here aren't just the usual developer knight yes man, that will support anything coming from TW.
Typical from the "it hate Taleworlds" segment, you see proof that someone likes something you dont, so they clearly must be Taleworld fanboy yesmen whose opinion you can just sweep aside as its clearly not valid for going against what YOU belive... I want both a story and a sandbox mode, just as we got with Viking Conquest, it worked fine there once they got the bugs out and was a great way to get into the game for newer players.

Typical from the "it hate Taleworlds" segment, you see proof that someone likes something you dont, so they clearly must be Taleworld fanboy yesmen whose opinion you can just sweep aside as its clearly not valid for going against what YOU belive... I want both a story and a sandbox mode, just as we got with Viking Conquest, it worked fine there once they got the bugs out and was a great way to get into the game for newer players.
I have got to wonder
reading comprehension

Back
Top Bottom