Scottish Covenanters - On Hold (Busy in North & South).

Users who are viewing this thread

LSczSCp.png

The Scottish Covenanters fight for the Kingdom of Sweden.

Introduction
Welcome to the official thread of the Scottish Covenanters. The Scottish Covenanters are made up of members from the 27e for Napoleonic Wars. Our goal within the Deluge Community is to become a well-known, highly skilled group of players. As a Regiment, we try to keep our standards in Melee and Shooting as high as possible, whilst having fun at the same time. We're open to recruits from all around the world, whether you're new to the game or a veteran player.

History of the Covenanters

[size=14pt]Simply stated, the Covenanters were those people in Scotland who signed the National Covenant in 1638. They signed this Covenant to confirm their opposition to the interference by the Stuart kings in the affairs of the Presbyterian Church of Scotland.
The Stuart kings harboured the belief of the Divine Right of the Monarch. Not only did they believe that God wished them to be the infallible rulers of their kingdom - they also believed that they were the spiritual heads of the Church of Scotland. This latter belief could not be accepted by the Scots. No man, not even a king, could be spiritual head of their church. Only Jesus Christ could be spiritual head of a Christian church.
This was the nub of the entire Covenanting struggle. The Scots were, and would have been, loyal to the Stuart dynasty but for that one sticking point, and from 1638, when the Covenant was signed, until the Glorious Revolution - when Prince William of Orange made a bloodless invasion of Great Britain in 1688 - a great deal of suffering, torture, imprisonment, transportation and executions would ensue.
King Charles I had introduced the Book of Common Prayer to Scotland in 1637 to the fury and resentment of the populace. He declared that opposition to the new liturgy would be treason, and thus came about the Covenant.
  There followed a period of very severe repression. Ministers with Covenanting sympathies were "outed" from their churches by the authorities, and had to leave their parishes. Many continued to preach at "conventicles" in the open air or in barns and houses. This became an offence punishable by death. Citizens who did not attend their local churches (which were now in the charge of Episcopalian "curates") could be heavily fined, and such offenders were regarded as rebels, who could be questioned, even under torture. They could be asked to take various oaths, which not only declared loyalty to the king, but also to accept his as head of the church. Failure to take such an oath could result in summary execution by the muskets of the dragoons, who were scouring the districts looking for rebels.
The persecutions became more frequent and cruel on the Restoration of Charles II in 1660. As time went on more and more ordinary folk became involved, and skirmishes and battles took place against Government troops. In 1678 the Government raised an army of 6,000 Highlanders, who had no love for the Presbyterian lowlanders. This army swept through the west and south of Scotland, looting and plundering. They remained for many years, quartering themselves on the already impoverished Covenanters
Y0EWVFW.png

man_playing_bagpipes_T.png

Ranking Structure

[size=14pt]
Officers
Captain - Cpt
Lieutenant - Lt
Ensign - Ens

Non-Commissioned Officers
Serjeant-Major - SjtMaj
Colour Serjeant - CSjt
Serjeant - Sjt
Corporal - Cpl

Enlisted
Veteran Musketeer - VetMsktr
Regular Musketeer - RglMsktr
Musketeer - Msktr
Conscript - Cons

How to Enlist
clipart5.gif

Enlist today! Copy and complete the application format below.

1. What's your in-game name?:

2. What's your Steam Name?(Include Link):

3. How old are you?:

4. Where do you live?:

5. Do you have TeamSpeak 3 Client?:
[size=14pt]

Thanks to SuicideSilence for the tables.​

Muster Roll

Officers
Captain Macca
Lieutenant Muffington

Non-Commissioned Officers
Serjeant Volker
Corporal Kunoichi

Enlisted
Regular Musketeer Smithy
Musketeer MrNoob
Musketeer Viper
Musketeer TanMan
Musketeer Milky
Musketeer Muller
Musketeer Faun
Musketeer Wolff
Musketeer David97
Musketeer Julicos
Musketeer Sharpkiller
Musketeer Laura
Musketeer Smithy
Musketeer Americaball
Musketeer Cogley
Musketeer Walker

Conscript Theo
Conscript Wizard
Conscript Walkingdead
Conscript Eveho

Total: 24 - 2 Officers, 2 NCO's, 20 Enlisted.

In-game tags:
Scots_Rank_Name

Banner:
8upMf1x.pngp

Morning Macca!
Happy to see that the Scots Covenanters have finally made their way here.  :wink:
I think it would be ideal if some of your folk, including yourself Macca, attended our Public Muster & Drill evening led by Mr Richard Flockton. Given your background from NW, I can imagine this would be somewhat ideal for your transition to the 17th.C and to the Deluge.

Cheers!

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Morning Macca!
Happy to see that the Scots Covenanters have finally made their way here.  :wink:
I think it would be ideal if some of your folk, including yourself Macca, attended our Public Muster & Drill evening led by Mr Richard Flockton. Given your background from NW, I can imagine this would be somewhat ideal for your transition to the 17th.C and to the Deluge.

Cheers!
Haha, we eventually made it. And as for the muster; I'll talk to my 2iC and see what he thinks.

Olli Hossi said:
Gud Luck from a fellow scotsman
Thanks man. :smile:

Marvellous - always good to see other clans appear in the Deluge, so welcome chaps!

Might I possibly make a suggestion regarding;
MaccaUK said:
We've changed to the Scottish Mercenaries.
Scottish Mercenaries is a rather broad term, which is absolutely fine, but I wondered whether a more 'personalised'/'localised' name might be more characterful? Scottish Covenanters were famous across Europe, notably in Eastern Europe where they were rather prominent during the 30 years war and appeared during other wars in that area. In Britain they played important roles during the English Civil Wars (as well as giving Charles Stuart a thrashing during the Bishops' Wars of 1639-1640), although Cromwell did hammer the Engagers bloody with the New Model Army in 1650 at Dunbar.

With that in mind I wondered whether you might look at those Scots who rose to prominence within Sweden & it's army during the 17th century - wikipedia has a list of them here (I know, I know, wikipedia, but it has some uses) and use them as inspiration for your clan. For example you could be:
  • <Title> <Name> Regiment of Foote
  • <Location> Regiment/Companie (optional) of <insert phrase here>
  • <Title> <Name> Companie of Covenanters
The above as examples. Tracking down the names of actual regiments from that period for inspiration is a little tricky, but from what I've been able to track down they often followed the first form I suggested above. However as you're going for minimal ranks (of which I personally approve) with a Captain as your uppermost rank, I think maybe the latter suggestion might be more fitting. Those are just my thoughts though. Perhaps to retain some of the name you used as a placeholder you could have; Sir Colin Campbell's Companie of Covenanters, as an example (and a delight in fitting in as many words beginning with the letter C into one sentence as possible!).

Something else that might be worth having is a nickname. As an example of this, and I hate to use my own clan for this as it seems so terribly arrogant to me, the Bande of Pike & Shotte. That's our formal title, how we present ourselves formally. However it is our nickname by how we are commonly known - The Lucky Dogs. It's a nickname we are proud of as a clan, it's how we refer to ourselves and it instills a sense of pride in us. An informal tag can do wonders with uniting players behind the theme of a clan.

Next on my list of things to be annoying about; FLAGS! I love flags, they're fantastic. If you're quick'ish' you might be able to get a clan banner included into the next update (the developers of this mod move rather quickly with small patches). Why would you want your own unique banner? Well obviously it's your own unique banner, for a start, but it's great for use in-game because not only is it locked to your clan members in the Deluge (via a passcode system), but you can also have an Ensigne carrying it around on the battlefield for you. It's another source of pride for your clan members and when they take to a clans flag by goodness do they stick by it!*

If you're interested in checking a few designs from the period, then may I recommend checking ECW Covenanter flags - I'm not sure on the font on some of those on that link but it's worth looking over them for a general idea. There are also a couple of designs in the spoiler below;

BM_Harl_1460-98.svg

Design of the Third Captain's Colour, Steward's Edinburgh Regiment

BM_Harl_1460-5.svg

Design of an unidentified Covenanter flag captured at Dunbar (1650), probably belonged to Campbell of Lawer's Regiment

Replica_Covenanter_flag,_Royal_Scottish_Museum.jpg

Replica Covenanter flag in the Royal Scottish Museum

imageGen.ashx

One of the banners purportedly captured at the Battle of Drumclog

I really hope you don't mind me suggesting all of this. Of course you're more than welcome to disregard these thoughts & suggestions as it's your clan.

I do wish you chaps the very best of luck within the Deluge, hopefully we'll bump into each other.

*Recently I worked on creating a flag for our Hoary Hounds event group, which turned out rather nicely. It made me want to make a new one for the Lucky Dogs, just as a formal flag for 'This is our nice flag, isn't it pretty?' sort of thing. When I mentioned that I was doing this there was an instant outcry that they didn't want our current flag changed - fortunately they were pacified when I said I had no inclination to change our in-game flag but it gives you an example of how defensive they can get over something which they see as being part of their clan identity.[/list]

• rapier17 said:
    Marvellous - always good to see other clans appear in the Deluge, so welcome chaps!

Might I possibly make a suggestion regarding;
    MaccaUK said:
    We've changed to the Scottish Mercenaries.
    Scottish Mercenaries is a rather broad term, which is absolutely fine, but I wondered whether a more 'personalised'/'localised' name might be more characterful? Scottish Covenanters were famous across Europe, notably in Eastern Europe where they were rather prominent during the 30 years war and appeared during other wars in that area. In Britain they played important roles during the English Civil Wars (as well as giving Charles Stuart a thrashing during the Bishops' Wars of 1639-1640), although Cromwell did hammer the Engagers bloody with the New Model Army in 1650 at Dunbar.

With that in mind I wondered whether you might look at those Scots who rose to prominence within Sweden & it's army during the 17th century - wikipedia has a list of them here (I know, I know, wikipedia, but it has some uses) and use them as inspiration for your clan. For example you could be:
    • <Title> <Name> Regiment of Foote
    • <Location> Regiment/Companie (optional) of <insert phrase here>
    • <Title> <Name> Companie of Covenanters
    The above as examples. Tracking down the names of actual regiments from that period for inspiration is a little tricky, but from what I've been able to track down they often followed the first form I suggested above. However as you're going for minimal ranks (of which I personally approve) with a Captain as your uppermost rank, I think maybe the latter suggestion might be more fitting. Those are just my thoughts though. Perhaps to retain some of the name you used as a placeholder you could have; Sir Colin Campbell's Companie of Covenanters, as an example (and a delight in fitting in as many words beginning with the letter C into one sentence as possible!).

Something else that might be worth having is a nickname. As an example of this, and I hate to use my own clan for this as it seems so terribly arrogant to me, the Bande of Pike & Shotte. That's our formal title, how we present ourselves formally. However it is our nickname by how we are commonly known - The Lucky Dogs. It's a nickname we are proud of as a clan, it's how we refer to ourselves and it instills a sense of pride in us. An informal tag can do wonders with uniting players behind the theme of a clan.

Next on my list of things to be annoying about; FLAGS! I love flags, they're fantastic. If you're quick'ish' you might be able to get a clan banner included into the next update (the developers of this mod move rather quickly with small patches). Why would you want your own unique banner? Well obviously it's your own unique banner, for a start, but it's great for use in-game because not only is it locked to your clan members in the Deluge (via a passcode system), but you can also have an Ensigne carrying it around on the battlefield for you. It's another source of pride for your clan members and when they take to a clans flag by goodness do they stick by it!*

If you're interested in checking a few designs from the period, then may I recommend checking ECW Covenanter flags - I'm not sure on the font on some of those on that link but it's worth looking over them for a general idea. There are also a couple of designs in the spoiler below;

BM_Harl_1460-98.svg

Design of the Third Captain's Colour, Steward's Edinburgh Regiment

BM_Harl_1460-5.svg

Design of an unidentified Covenanter flag captured at Dunbar (1650), probably belonged to Campbell of Lawer's Regiment

Replica_Covenanter_flag,_Royal_Scottish_Museum.jpg

Replica Covenanter flag in the Royal Scottish Museum

imageGen.ashx

One of the banners purportedly captured at the Battle of Drumclog

I really hope you don't mind me suggesting all of this. Of course you're more than welcome to disregard these thoughts & suggestions as it's your clan.

I do wish you chaps the very best of luck within the Deluge, hopefully we'll bump into each other.

*Recently I worked on creating a flag for our Hoary Hounds event group, which turned out rather nicely. It made me want to make a new one for the Lucky Dogs, just as a formal flag for 'This is our nice flag, isn't it pretty?' sort of thing. When I mentioned that I was doing this there was an instant outcry that they didn't want our current flag changed - fortunately they were pacified when I said I had no inclination to change our in-game flag but it gives you an example of how defensive they can get over something which they see as being part of their clan identity.
First of all, thanks for the warm welcome! I highly appreciate all of the information you've posted here, some of which I have taken into consideration. I'll do some research on different groups of mercenaries etc and possibly change. It's great to see the Deluge community has people who actually want to help out other clans / players.

As said above, thanks a lot for the information. I'll have a look and see what I find. :smile:

MaccaUK said:
First of all, thanks for the warm welcome! I highly appreciate all of the information you've posted here, some of which I have taken into consideration. I'll do some research on different groups of mercenaries etc and possibly change. It's great to see the Deluge community has people who actually want to help out other clans / players.

As said above, thanks a lot for the information. I'll have a look and see what I find. :smile:
I'm glad to hear that - I was terribly worried I was being an interfering busy body!

Best of luck to you chaps!

rapier17 said:
MaccaUK said:

I'm glad to hear that - I was terribly worried I was being an interfering busy body!

Best of luck to you chaps!
Thank you!

Leifr Eiríksson said:
If it all goes to ****, I was the one who pushed Richard into writing this up for you Macca.
Blame me.  :razz:
Haha! Okay. :wink:

Have a care Gentlemen.
You are invited to our second drill & muster session on the Sunday 17th of August. The last of which was to be considered a major success on all fronts by all previous participants.
This is in prelude to a potential historical skirmish event further down the line, those who turn out will have the advantage of wisdom!

Regards,
James Digby.

Back
Top Bottom