MP Tutorial Scenes Scening in Warband (entry point info for all gamemodes)

Users who are viewing this thread

If you want to make a custom map for your server, this is how:

Ingame scene editting: When starting M&B, before you select Play game, press on Configure. At the Advanced tab you can enable Edit Mode (with warning). Ingame you need to go windowed (alt+enter) and press ctrl+E to go to Edit Mode when in a scene. Press the help button for info.

Some explanation about scenes:

in scenes.txt you find the scene id's and terrain codes. If you go to a scene that scene has to be scenes.txt. Every scene also has a Scene Obj file, marked with .sco. For example the scene quick_batte_1 in scenes.txt uses the quick_battle_1.sco. If it can't find that .sco, it automatically creates a new empty .sco, thus you have a new scene (with the terrain from the terrain code). In .sco terrain alternation and objects are stored.

If you have the SP beta, you can easily go to the 'test scene' and enter the multiplayer scenes. Best is to first remove the .sco in Mount&Blade Warband/Modules/Native/SceneObj/ to have a clean scene. For example when you edit scene 2 (village) you have to remove multi_scene_2. It automatically creates a new .sco when saving (save regularly! to save press ctrl+E when in edit mode to exit edit mode.) Best is to do this all in a custom Module, create one by copying Native and renaming it to the name of choice.

Current scenes
multi_scene_1", "Ruins"
multi_scene_2", "Village"
multi_scene_3", "Castle"
multi_scene_4", "Ruined Fort"
multi_scene_5", "Scene 5 #not ready yet
multi_scene_6", "Scene 6 #not ready yet
multi_scene_7", "Field by the River
multi_scene_8", "Castle 2
multi_scene_9", "Snowy Village
multi_scene_10", "Castle 3
multi_scene_10", "Random Plains (Medium)
multi_scene_11", "Random Plains (Large)
multi_scene_12", "Random Steppe (Medium)
multi_scene_13", "Random Steppe (Large)

Entry points:
Battle.
0 faction 1
32 faction 2

67 - Master of the Field flag pos 1
68 - Master of the Field flag pos 2
69 - Master of the Field flag pos 3

CTF. (not sure about the team spawnpoints yet)
64 flag 1
team1:

65 flag 2

Siege (also check http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,112806.0.html)
0 defender
32 attacker
66 flag defender

MotF

For Deathmatch:
You have to place entry points  0 - 64 so that people won't spawn on random places.

Objects:
F&D
Trebuchet_destructible
Catapult_destructible

Siege Tower. Thanks to Lucke189
1. Place Siege Tower, Tower platform and the wheels in final position (close to the wall with the platform down).

2. Place Entry Points 110-119 from were you want it to start, to the wall.

3. Restart the scene.

4. Watch the result!

Full Invasion mod
0 defenders (players!) group 1
1 defenders (players!) group 2
32-40 attackers

A word about AI meshes:

AI meshes are the pathfinding meshes. It walks over these AI meshes to get at an enemy. AI Barriers are used to not make AI's fall of ladders, while players can jump off than, unlike when placing normal barriers.
Best way to make AI meshes on walls and through buildings is by going to Edge mode and extrude them.
If an AI mesh goes through a building, the AI will think they can pass through that building to get at an enemy, so don't do that. If an enemy is on a place without AI meshes, the AI will go to the AI mesh closest to him, and tries to reach him from there. If the bot gets off the AI grid, he will try to get to the closest AI mesh, sometimes being at the other side of the wall, thus bots gets stuck under ladders. Also add AI meshes under ladders that lead them back to the ladder.

Making moveable ladders work (by Hethwill)
Select ladder, place it in its final position. Insert Entry Point at the bottom of that ladder and number it 100 or up ( 100, 101, etc ), one for each ladder.

Then orientate the Entry Point ( arrow ) to the direction and position you wish it to be when laying on the ground.

It will only work in MP mode, so, host your game, and voilà

Making the porticullis gate work (by Hethwill)
Place "Porticullis". Place the "Winch" ( I used chain type ). Try it.

If it doesn't work, try this:

- Place the two objects as you wish them in the closed Gate position. Lift Gate as it will be as open.
- Go play, activate the winch. It will go to Open Gate position and gate will move. Activate again to trigger Closed Gate status.
- Edit and put Gate into closed position as you like.
- Done.

Awesome thank you for the start up tips. I've been kicking around some ideas for maps for fun in my head but wasn't too sure how to use the scene editor. Is there a thread in one of the mod boards that has a bit of a tutorial on the keys and what not in edit mode? I played around for a tad with the tutorial, but I couldn't figure out how to rotate objects, apply a terrain, and a slew of other things. At the most what I figured out was to navigate around, add new objects, and select things.

But ok for warband, if I read this right, what I do to start is:

1. Go into warband dir, find the native folder, copy the whole thing over to a new folder, we'll say "reapys_mod".
2. Find the quick_battle_1.sco file and rename or move it in my mod directory so the game will not be able to find it and start a blank one.
3. From warband launch screen, enable edit mode, and select the mod "reapys_mod", then launch warband...start the quick battle 1.
4. I should now be in a blank level with the quick_battle_1 terrain and nothing in it? Hit ctrl E and go to edit mode and start doing whatever.

Is that correct so far?

So when I start editing, I just have to hit ctrl E to exit and hit save?  So from this point as I change things I should be able to add in some AI and things like that to play around with the map? Obviously to play it multi we would need dedicated server files, but for now we could start making our own scenes?

Also... if we were going to pass scene files around for people, what files would need to be moved? The scenes.txt and the .sco file, or would you basically need to pass the whole mod directory and have them start it like a mod?

In terms of the scene editor, I'll start looking around more, but I've casually glanced around mod forums but haven't found a really great scene editing tutorial. Is there there and I am missing it? At the least is there a raw set of keyboard commands or something to get you started?

Thanks for this, having a lot of fun designing a castle.

I have a question though:

I used the Quick Battle 1 slot to start making a scene, and deleted the .sco as you suggested.
However, units still spawn in the middle of the map every time I load it... how do I stop them from doing that?

Also I can't seem to select trees to get rid of them, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

I believe trees and plants too are stored in scenes.txt, no idea how to change it though. They are part of the terrain code. Make entry points, entry point 0 is where you spawn or faction 1, entry point 1 where enemies normally spawn, entry point 32 is where faction 2 spawns in Battle/F&D

Arch3r said:
I believe trees and plants too are stored in scenes.txt, no idea how to change it though. They are part of the terrain code. Make entry points, entry point 0 is where you spawn or faction 1, entry point 1 where enemies normally spawn, entry point 32 is where faction 2 spawns in Battle/F&D

Ah thanks a lot, much more romantic when the enemy spawns outside the castle.

I'm guessing it's not so simple to change what enemies spawn? (as in what types, how many etc.)

EDIT: Maybe spoke too soon...
Entry point 0 makes me spawn there
Entry point 1 makes half my team spawn there

All enemies and the other half of my team still spawn in the middle.

The funny thing is, there seem to be  object plants and stones which are stored in the .sco file
and there are terrain bound plants and stones which seem to be stored in the scenes key.

I'm having trouble finding a scene editing guide. There is a link on the mod forums faq about a comprehensive guide but it takes me back to the forum main screen and not to a specific thread. Is there one hiding somewhere, or is this just trial by fire?

I had some questions too.

1. Terrain.  So from my understanding terrain is randomly generated by a seed. Is it possible to have a plain mesh that you can manipulate, ie raise and lower terrain?  How do you assign terrain to scene? Is there a way to tweak the random parameters and keep generating scenes till you find one you like?

2. Objects. If I remember when I was looking, I saw there was a button to scale the size of objects you place. I was not sure though how to exactly place an object. Is there a way to raise it up and down, or even rotate it around a bit? It might have been acting up for me because I was editing the tutorial and it looked to be floating in space with no terrain.

3. Is the idea behind m&b in general that you do not place specific npc's but instead place entry points for the game to spawn them based on some other parameters in the game engine? So for example if I am editing the quick battle, all I could do is edit the objects, the terrain, and entry points for either faction, but the character I use, my own AI and opponent AI is already fixed (for that one scene)?

I'll probably have more questions when I am able to get home and actually have time to play around with a scene, but I think if someone knows the answer to these it would be enough for me to get started trying to do something. Again if I am just missing a link to a great scene editor reference could someone point me in the right direction? I found a great AI mesh tutorial and a basic scene editing tutorial hidden down in the custom settlements mod but that is it so far.

Reapy said:
I'm having trouble finding a scene editing guide. There is a link on the mod forums faq about a comprehensive guide but it takes me back to the forum main screen and not to a specific thread. Is there one hiding somewhere, or is this just trial by fire?

I had some questions too.

1. Terrain.  So from my understanding terrain is randomly generated by a seed. Is it possible to have a plain mesh that you can manipulate, ie raise and lower terrain?  How do you assign terrain to scene? Is there a way to tweak the random parameters and keep generating scenes till you find one you like?

2. Objects. If I remember when I was looking, I saw there was a button to scale the size of objects you place. I was not sure though how to exactly place an object. Is there a way to raise it up and down, or even rotate it around a bit? It might have been acting up for me because I was editing the tutorial and it looked to be floating in space with no terrain.

3. Is the idea behind m&b in general that you do not place specific npc's but instead place entry points for the game to spawn them based on some other parameters in the game engine? So for example if I am editing the quick battle, all I could do is edit the objects, the terrain, and entry points for either faction, but the character I use, my own AI and opponent AI is already fixed (for that one scene)?

I'll probably have more questions when I am able to get home and actually have time to play around with a scene, but I think if someone knows the answer to these it would be enough for me to get started trying to do something. Again if I am just missing a link to a great scene editor reference could someone point me in the right direction? I found a great AI mesh tutorial and a basic scene editing tutorial hidden down in the custom settlements mod but that is it so far.

I found these guide for native:
http://exilian.wikia.com/wiki/Scene_Editing_%28M&B%29

Not exactly comprehensive.

2. When you select an object, and have the "add object" button pressed, it will appear on your cursor. You can manipulate it either by typing in scale/XYZ numbers after placing it and selceting it, or by holding certain keys while placing (hold G and move mouse to move it along the ground, Z to rotate on Z axis etc. You can see them all in the help thing in-game).

Trying to find the answers to your other questions myself.

Ooo must have missed the help window in the game. I looked at the scene editor 2 weeks ago so my brain is a little rusty what was on the screen, the above questions are just things I recall confusing me a bit. Thank you so far! :smile:

Thanks for the help, I think I can do this now! A long map where you need to move the siegetower from one end to another to enemy wall, anyone?

Thanks for the post Arch3r, I will probably be making scenes once the game is out (or if modding kicks off in the beta), so this information will be a help :smile:  Maybe something like this should be stickied?

I have a problem. My scenes wont save. I deleted the .sco of multi-scene 2, village. Now, I go ingame, it generates a new terrain, right? I build stuff there, save and exit the whole game. When I start again, its all removed and the same random map is there.
Do I need to make a new .sco or something? I checked, and there has been no creation of the file I deleted.

Back
Top Bottom