Scene creating and server hosting guides

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm spawning as a peasant with a hatchet. Stick bushes are working but not big trees... Do hatchets not cut trees as I thought they did? :\

I have another question now: are faction doors locked at game-start, or did I mess up a variable? Var1 = faction and Var2 relates the doors together, so I didn't mess it up there... I'm thinking it has something to do with game options...

Furnardan said:
I'm spawning as a peasant with a hatchet. Stick bushes are working but not big trees... Do hatchets not cut trees as I thought they did? :\
Yes, hatchets work to cut trees, but slower than using an axe as a serf.
Furnardan said:
I have another question now: are faction doors locked at game-start, or did I mess up a variable? Var1 = faction and Var2 relates the doors together, so I didn't mess it up there... I'm thinking it has something to do with game options...
Yes, castle doors all start locked, and nobody can use them unless they are the lord of the faction owning the castle, belong to the faction and have been given the door keys by the lord, or they pick the lock (with looting skill and a lock pick). The common usage of var1 for faction / castle is that 0 and 1 are commoners and outlaws, but 2 - 9 are the eight possible castles, which start as owned by the corresponding faction but can be captured by other ones later.

I hate to continue, but the wood cutting and mining aren't working right when I host my own dedicated server. I had to use godmode to be able to damage a tree at all and, in fact, when chopping a tree as a serf with a woodcutters axe(not in G-mode) the tree was actually regenerating health AS I HIT IT!
I am very confused... perhaps my dedicated server content is bugged?

Furnardan said:
I hate to continue, but the wood cutting and mining aren't working right when I host my own dedicated server. I had to use godmode to be able to damage a tree at all and, in fact, when chopping a tree as a serf with a woodcutters axe(not in G-mode) the tree was actually regenerating health AS I HIT IT!
I am very confused... perhaps my dedicated server content is bugged?
Sorry, I have no idea: it works fine for me and obviously on the other main servers, so it would seem to be some sort of problem with your setup.

Ridiculous... I installed the non-steam version of M&B, put in PW and setup the dedicated server, and it works just fine. I go and chop wood and mine ore and it all works like it should... ^^;

im having trouble setting up my own server, every time i click the Start.bat, i get a message saying that it cannot open the CommonRes\core_materials.brf also it says my module directory is invalid which makes no sense because im still able to play my mods, so clearly its quite valid.

what am i doing wrong ??  :?:

HarmanCullen said:
im having trouble setting up my own server, every time i click the Start.bat, i get a message saying that it cannot open the CommonRes\core_materials.brf also it says my module directory is invalid which makes no sense because im still able to play my mods, so clearly its quite valid.
Presumably you are trying to use the PW scene editor's testing pack from the download section, which requires running the dedicated server executable from your warband client directory, as explained in the instructions - it sounds like you are running it in another directory. If you are trying to set up on a fully dedicated server box with no warband client, you need to get the official taleworlds package for that, set it up, then add the PW module and server scripts you want (though if you really want to you could try copying across bits from your client installation until a separate dedicated server works).

So I decided to create a PW map. Good for me, maybe not the best mod to create your first map for though (Then again a PW map contains both battle and siege mode in one map) as the area is HUGE, but so far having fun trying different things (right now building a starter town). I was just wondering if there is a way to preview what the objects are that I can use without first having to add them for both Native and PW?

There are 100s of props to add, but annoying to have to add them all to get the one you want (especially with trees). Any things I should be aware of when mapping or a certain way you should go about it? Things I should avoid doing?

Also is there a limit on the amount of ships you can/should add? I am planning on making a map that focuses on traveling with ships (and a tunnel system only accessable by bandit faction or by anyone who lockpick the locks).

Some other basic questions:

Can you type the rotation amount? So your can easily have object aligned to the same degree?
Can you copy/past multiply objects or even one?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

EDIT: Well now I seem to have the issue that some props suddenly are not solid anymore like stairs and you just walk trough them. I also seem to have some terain I sink into or that my character seems to be walking onto a hill or stairs yet there is nothing there. Is there any good Wiki or documentation I could read to learn about these problems?

1. use spacebar and up/down arrows to previev props. Aim at the ground somwhere nearby to show them.

2. "limit" (not hard limit, just amount that cause major lag) used to bo 5, but something have been fixed since then. But stick to 5 for start

3. You can't type rotation, but you can reset it for both props and then rotate then together

4. no copy-pasta of even one object.

5. Some objects gets their collision mesh added after you restart scene - do it often, If you want to walk around a lot.

CalenLoki said:
1. use spacebar and up/down arrows to previev props. Aim at the ground somwhere nearby to show them.

2. "limit" (not hard limit, just amount that cause major lag) used to bo 5, but something have been fixed since then. But stick to 5 for start

3. You can't type rotation, but you can reset it for both props and then rotate then together

4. no copy-pasta of even one object.

5. Some objects gets their collision mesh added after you restart scene - do it often, If you want to walk around a lot.

Thanks!. 5 ships not as much as I wanted by should do. Underground systems open then to everyone, but make all routes go trough a central hub with also is the bandit hideout. Making it a risky endevour to make the trip alone, but might be faster then waiting for a ship.

Vornne said:
HarmanCullen said:
Presumably you are trying to use the PW scene editor's testing pack from the download section, which requires running the dedicated server executable from your warband client directory, as explained in the instructions - it sounds like you are running it in another directory. If you are trying to set up on a fully dedicated server box with no warband client, you need to get the official taleworlds package for that, set it up, then add the PW module and server scripts you want (though if you really want to you could try copying across bits from your client installation until a separate dedicated server works).

Awesome! thanks heaps!. now my next problem is, i cant find anything on how to get my servers PW map to change from that test scene to my map. AND i dont seem to have an admin pass, do i have to write that into the config or something to enable it or what??

HarmanCullen said:
Awesome! thanks heaps!. now my next problem is, i cant find anything on how to get my servers PW map to change from that test scene to my map. AND i dont seem to have an admin pass, do i have to write that into the config or something to enable it or what??

set_pass_admin [[Password]]
set_map [[MapName]] (example scene_2, I believe scene_1 is the test_map?)

Both in the config file.

okay ive pretty much finished my map, just needs to fix up afew things like the mines stats and faction items n ****. BUT now im ****ed. when im in game on PW, i cannot use Q to talk, P to use money options, and cannot use C to toggle names n stuff. basically all the PW options are gone, can only use T to talk because thats in Native. no idea where i go to fix any of that.

HarmanCullen said:
okay ive pretty much finished my map, just needs to fix up afew things like the mines stats and faction items n ****. BUT now im ****ed. when im in game on PW, i cannot use Q to talk, P to use money options, and cannot use C to toggle names n stuff. basically all the PW options are gone, can only use T to talk because thats in Native. no idea where i go to fix any of that.
That sounds a lot like you are trying to play your scene in the editing mode; as said in various places:
Vornne said:
  • Use the dedicated server package to test your scene, since active scene props (starting with pw_) don't work in edit scene mode.
If you are still using "c" to toggle names, you aren't using the latest version: I suggest updating warband to 1.143 and PW to 4_beta1.

Vornne said:
HarmanCullen said:
That sounds a lot like you are trying to play your scene in the editing mode; as said in various places:
Vornne said:
  • Use the dedicated server package to test your scene, since active scene props (starting with pw_) don't work in edit scene mode.
If you are still using "c" to toggle names, you aren't using the latest version: I suggest updating warband to 1.143 and PW to 4_beta1.

Nah Ive downloaded a dedicated server to test my map and it all seems to be going fine. just since downloading the server and creating the map, i have not been able to use PW based commands in servers like NA_PW, im not sure ive i may have accidentaly removed something to do with the PW commands for the "Q, C and P" buttons in the file system. and i have the right versions its Beta1 not Alpha6.

I might just have to back up my maps and serve info, and try deleting the Mod and getting an untouched version from my brothers computer, just wasnt sure if i had deleted anything by placing the dedicated server into my files. game works fine otherwise. its just those PW based commands not working.

If i change the names of castles in strings.txt , will this have an effect to player on the server (ie will they see the new name) or will it only affect the host?

Vornne said:
  • To set descriptive names for the warband server list, open "Modules/PW_4_X/strings.txt" in a text editor, scroll to the near the bottom, and rename the second parts of the lines starting with "str_scene_name_X" to whatever name you want, replacing all spaces with an underscore ('_'). Any other strings you change in that file won't affect player clients, since scene names are special in that the warband server uploads it to the main server list for players to see; the scene names in the client poll list (if you have "map" polls enabled) will be the default "Scene X".
The only way to use a castle name not included in the default download is to get all players to update their strings.txt file: this is not recommended because other scenes would might get strange inconsistent names, and players would have to swap .txt files for every different scene that uses this method. You can request names be added to the next official release once you have a completed scene, but preferably less than about 5 new names for each scene, since the hard coded limit on the total number is 128 (currently 34 used).

Is there is any way to make char to do everything (serf and eng jobs) and spawn resources/money to do it? I mean for testing in dedicated server.

NOVICIUS said:
Is there is any way to make char to do everything (serf and eng jobs) and spawn resources/money to do it? I mean for testing in dedicated server.
Administrator tools -> become godlike, administrator items.

Back
Top Bottom