Scene creating and server hosting guides

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm busy hosting a server but somethings keeps going wrong,
I've dowloaded a delecated PW Server and everything works accept for one thing.
When I connect to my server and for example I pick up a stick, Then I disconnect, then I connect again and I'm spawing a the spawn ( not the place I've disconnected ) and I've lost my stick, and when I walk back to the place I disconnected the stick lays on the ground.
Please help me  :sad: I've already tried everything I could.

DutchHawk said:
When I connect to my server and for example I pick up a stick, Then I disconnect, then I connect again and I'm spawing a the spawn ( not the place I've disconnected ) and I've lost my stick, and when I walk back to the place I disconnected the stick lays on the ground.
That's how PW works: if you disconnect, your character dies.

DutchHawk said:
How do I prevent losing all my stuff when I disconnect?
Store it in an item chest? Give it to someone else?

This mod is designed with an emphasis on the consistency and integrity of the game environment: as opposed to the integrity of immortal characters which can be teleported in and out of the world at will, with the likelihood of unfairness to other people still playing. That is a common design in traditional "MMORPGs" where the intention is to solo grind through piles of static content created by game designers, rather than competitively or cooperatively interact with other players as the main "content".

If you disconnect in the Nexus Roleplay Server you respawn on the place you disconnected with all your armor, money and weapons. Do you know which command or script it is they use?

Splintert said:
What is scene prop kind 1817, and/or where can I find that information on my own?
In PW 4.4.0, spr_pw_trapdoor_a. Build the module system of the PW version you are running, passing -i to the build_module.py script to generate ID_*.py files (on Windows, open build_module.bat in a text editor and add -i to the end of the second line), then open ID_scene_props.py.

Hi

I have a few questions:

1. Can spawn points be random ?

2. Say I spawn in some safe place, is there then a way to choose what faction I wish to join?

3. And, finally, can a door/other thing lead me to their castle(s), if any ?

PS: I'm not a mapper at all so forgive my stupidity. (Last map I made in a game was for Duke Nuke'em back in the 1990's).

Loppen said:
1. Can spawn points be random ?
I don't understand what you mean by this. Spawn points can be selected numerically and by castle during the respawn waiting period, otherwise the server will pick randomly out of the points available to that player.
Loppen said:
2. Say I spawn in some safe place, is there then a way to choose what faction I wish to join?
3. And, finally, can a door/other thing lead me to their castle(s), if any ?
You could place spawn points anywhere, grouped in some "safe" place, with training stations and teleports, but anyone else that can access spawn points in that area might make it "unsafe". That sort of layout has been done before, but is not an intended scene design: it removes any possible control a faction could have of who joins up, or what troop classes that they can use.

All very true. Thanks for the reply.

Incidently. If I may ask for your thoughts on the following:

A server with Permanent Death mode and no rules (faction lords should be the rulemakers). What kind of scene layout could make that work ?

Loppen said:
A server with Permanent Death mode and no rules (faction lords should be the rulemakers). What kind of scene layout could make that work ?
I don't know: once the basic framework for different game modes was added, it was simple enough to make that I just tossed it together on a whim, since a few people over the years have requested that type of thing. I didn't expect it to be popular, but it is there in case anyone else wants to try figure out how it could be used.

Im new to modding, i have a porticullis(i think the name is, its the wooden gates) and a gate hinge, how do i connect the two so when i "raise" the gate, it actually raises?

Kelthin said:
Im new to modding, i have a porticullis(i think the name is, its the wooden gates) and a gate hinge, how do i connect the two so when i "raise" the gate, it actually raises?
A portcullis isn't a gate and doesn't have a hinge: it is operated by a winch. If you actually mean "modding", this is not the correct forum: this is for PW scene making, not making new or sub mods, and your question isn't clear.

You can match up the value 2 numbers of the portcullis and winch scene props if desired, using something other than 0 if necessary to disambiguate between multiple sets in the same area - a script run when the server starts will search for the closest matching props, so if you are just placing one portcullis or placing multiple far apart, no changes to prop values is necessary.

Yeah, i posted that at 4am. I meant scene making, and i have both val2 numbers as 1 yet its not moving when i raise. Do i have to try it on a real server? does it work in editing mode?

Kelthin said:
Yeah, i posted that at 4am. I meant scene making, and i have both val2 numbers as 1 yet its not moving when i raise. Do i have to try it on a real server? does it work in editing mode?

Make sure they are both called PW_Porticulius and PW_winch

If they arent they wont work.

Kelthin said:
Do i have to try it on a real server? does it work in editing mode?
As specified in the first post here, you should only test pw_  scene prop functions with a dedicated server executable: you can use the PW scene testing package to run it on the same computer as your client.

Back
Top Bottom