Say cheese: reenactment style

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm supremely jealous, and not just because the event looks great, getting a hotel room paid for is luxury I can only aspire to. I won't be getting to any shows until later in the season thanks to work.

So just so I have something to share, here's something I got recently for my other sword-based hobby. I'm breaking them in at the moment.
9HSsnrz.jpg

First event of the year. My swordplay needs some work, but it's so nice to almost have a full civil and military kit at the start of a year. I'm the sallet-wearing guy.

18673094_1574221569279174_8087992120922028494_o.jpg
18620946_1574220202612644_4591796948140543303_o.jpg

I also sometimes ditch the thumb protection of the lower hand.

The risk of injury is obvious, but my gauntlets are cheap ass lower stock that do not really fit well with my bulky peasant hands and stocky fingers so I kinda have to leroy jenkins it a bit.

Though, for the lower hand, it is mostly the knuckles that are at risk, as the upper hand covers the back of the lower hand.

Had a go at my own little heraldic shield for display, I'm utterly awful at anything artistic so this is probably about as good as it's going to get.

y1vwMB3.jpg

Nowhere near as neat as the nice bird and ermine shield that Roran's group has on display, but hey, even Matthew Paris got a bit slapdash with some of the heraldry he drew.

d9f74561aec7f849b6206ccdcace1e16.jpg

Pretty neat :smile:

I am also planning on doing up a shield, but mine will be a late form of a kite shield.

This is just for hanging up at shows I attend. I'm thinking of making a Stencil out of my design when I actually paint my Heater with it, but that won't be for a while yet.

I'd like to get a flat-topped kite at some point, but my priorities right now are tailoring mail, getting mail chausses and improving the standard of my civilian kit.
Unfortunately I keep spending my money on HEMA gear. Whoops.

The only shield I ever bothered to do was a center grip round shield (a """"""Viking"""""" style shield), mostly because it was cheap and easy and being my first self-made piece I figured it would be better that way. I had actually a great time making it and in 2008, there were only  a few videos and other help online. I remember finding a reference and guide in one of those html sites, static, of course. Still, being made of plywood, because I was still a student and had no job or any financial support and wouldn't go bothering my dad to buy me decent wood, it now sits broken in three pieces and with torn cloth, after the first day of testing. Didn't throw it away, because nostalgia.

But your shield, Ililsa, is looking real good!

Roran 13 said:
Didn't ditch it, my gloves are worn out, and I've been looking for a durable replacement to sow in my gauntlets.

oh so Mamlaz is just a retard for exposing himself.

noted.  :lol:

Roran 13 said:
First event of the year. My swordplay needs some work, but it's so nice to almost have a full civil and military kit at the start of a year. I'm the sallet-wearing guy.

18673094_1574221569279174_8087992120922028494_o.jpg
18620946_1574220202612644_4591796948140543303_o.jpg
Those are fantastic shots!

Yes, I know, I'm terrible with this thread. I tend to only post when I've something to post about stuff I've done. Be assured, though, I do read it and look at pictures, just take my silence as being like this:

BTZ5SrI.gif

Now, I've not been a very busy re-enactor since I posted about Spain. I had an event at Milton Keynes Museum in May and came back from another at Chiltern Open Air Museum last Sunday, which was a bit of a laugh. Also bloody. Milton Keynes was a standard gig for us; we turned up, set up a camp, did drill displays, talked to the public. Nothing unusual there. Burnt powder, fixed bayonets, marched around, etc.. Last weekend at Chiltern was a little different. We acted out the part of a redcoat patrol aiding a Thieftaker in apprehending dangerous highwaymen! Whilst the Saturday was ruined by rain (few people showed up), the Sunday was a bright, sunny day, with lots of families and children present.

During the day the Highwayman held up other re-enactors and was chased occasionally by children and we redcoats. I had a few interesting incidents which resulted in a pistol in my face before the Highwayman escaped, followed in not-so-hot pursuit by myself and other redcoats, but pursued diligently by children. At the end of both days we tried to apprehend the Highwayman, were ambushed by his comrades and had a shoot-out (which the forces of law & order won. Huzzah!). A good chuckle of a weekend all told. Except for my bloody problems. Literally bloody.

As usual I borrowed a musket (I can't have one yet as I'm still not licensed but I shoot under supervision) and as we didn't have a spare Queen Anne musket I was armed with an 1840s Brown Bess flintlock. The lock was unusual to me, the hammer was in a slightly different place, a different size and slightly different shape. This might not seem like it would make a big difference but on both days I cut myself, bloodily, on the flint; something I have never done before (from around 70 shots). On the Saturday the powder residue on my finger helped to clot the cut. On the Sunday I bled like mad for 30 minutes before I sought First Aid. Each time it happened at the start of our drill display, so I did both with blood streaming off of my hand! I didn't fight in the skirmish on the Sunday, but 'died' when we were ambushed as I was too dizzy from blood loss to trust myself with powder and musket - it only takes me to forget to withdraw the rammer or do something wrong to endanger myself and others.

Still, a few pictures have turned up and I'll thrust these in your faces before I go and pack to be an ECW Royalist (pah!) at Skipton for this weekend.

M7UIKp9.jpg

Note the reversed facings of the drummer. In battle his role is to stand out as a non-combatant and as an easily spotted figure for us to rally on. Louis XIV of France, the 'Sun King' has nothing on our drummer!

SXLRj70.jpg

z5eP2db.jpg

V5ROGhy.jpg
OJPXvNH.jpg

"They're charging us, sir!"
"Stand firm! I don't think they have the heart for it. Look at the man in the middle! Someone get him a mug of Horlicks, a blanket & a pillow..."
OEpg1pO.jpg

OMaWYkH.jpg

OE3RXrW.jpg

That last one was part of a set of photographs taken by a member of the public. After we had eaten our lunch on the Saturday, after the rain had cleared off, I ambled over to where some of our chaps were chatting to the public. One of the said public turned, saw me and declared that he had to take pictures of me (something about being photogenic). He took shots of me for about 20 minutes and then we chatted away for another ten. He kindly sent me five of the images and this was the best of them. It was really weird having a personal photoshoot.
KKyCnrK.jpg

It is the bayonet drill for all the way up to the 1750s, if memory serves. It is directly built off of the 17th century drill for using a pike; the right hand about the butt of the weapon, the left supporting the weight by the chin, and you 'push' the weapon forward when you thrust.* In the latter-part of the 18th century, when British soldiers were shown the 'new' way, with the weapon held at 'the rest' (hip height), apparently they found it hilarious compared to the tried and trusted way. The newer drill marked the difference between the old way of fighting as a whole unit, and the new of fighting as an individual soldier in a melee.

As you infer from your comment, it worked beautifully against the Scots, as your entire unit would wait until the Scots were paces away, swing your bayonets to the right, at the exposed armpit as the Scots raise their weapons, and thrust home. It didn't always work, though. At Killiecrankie in 1689, the Jacobites tore apart an English army equipped with plug bayonets. As the Scots advanced, the British jammed in their plug bayonets, ready for a melee and then were unable to remove the weapons and thus unable to fire. That was the only time Britain used the plug bayonet before moving quickly onto the socket bayonet.

*Our command to thrust, from the original drill manuals is to "Push your bayonet to the 'fore!", "Push your bayonet to the left!", "Push your bayonet to the right!".

DYSTOPIAN said:
oh so Mamlaz is just a retard for exposing himself.

noted.  :lol:

First you should re-read my comment, then you should reevaluate your worth, for even feeling the need to post what you just wrote.

I get my value out of your response Mamlaz, your wit is ever enthralling. While we're on this topic, why not Mamlav instead of Mamlaz? Gives you a lil slavic undertone.

Stop with this and obey forum rules. Whatever you have against Mamlaz keep it for yourself or PM him and figure it out. This is a reenactment thread, you already insulted the man and he remained civilized without even reporting you.

Back
Top Bottom