Say cheese: reenactment style

Users who are viewing this thread

Vilhjalmr said:
Under your tunic? That makes no sense.

Yeah it does. Would you wear your mail over a tunic with the dimensions of a long t-shirt? I'm seriously contemplating a Padded Tunic for when I'm wearing my mail and only using the other tunic when I'm without tunic.

Seff said:

Thank you.

Also, I believe he is saying that his tunic is short-sleeved, and his mail is 2/3 sleeved, so he would wear it under the short-sleeved tunic so as not to hide the sleeves (?).

Well, all I can say is take pics and post them soon.

Let's just hope I get a camera for my birthday, so I can take photos of all the stuff I haven't yet, not to mention some more full-costume pics, which are excellent for avatars and one-upping the folk on the Dagohir fora.

James said:
Seff said:

Thank you.

Also, I believe he is saying that his tunic is short-sleeved, and his mail is 2/3 sleeved, so he would wear it under the short-sleeved tunic so as not to hide the sleeves (?).

Well, all I can say is take pics and post them soon.

Exactly. Will post pics soon, need to finish sewing first though.

Vilhjalmr said:
I understand that. My point is that I don't understand why you are wearing such a short tunic in the first place.

Because it looks cool? I have another tunic that could go under the mail, but that is kinda 'tied' to another character.

http://www.xcellers.dk/dragt/images/me.jpg

My impression is based loosely on this guy, I have different pants and a blue cloak. No hat (yet).

Seff, I hate to break it to you, but evidence suggests a lack of short-sleeved tunics. I personally guess this may be an offshoot of the idea that the over tunic is slightly shorter than the under to show off the sleeves and weaving, and perhaps richness of fabric. That is all I know.

I would post a source, but I can't find one right now.

James said:
Seff, I hate to break it to you, but evidence suggests a lack of short-sleeved tunics. I personally guess this may be an offshoot of the idea that the over tunic is slightly shorter than the under to show off the sleeves and weaving, and perhaps richness of fabric. That is all I know.

I would post a source, but I can't find one right now.

Well I'm historically dodgy, so there :razz:

well, seff's costume might not be totally accurate, but it's very pretty :smile:

One suggestion: consider winingas, as they are kickass, and more likely than not would have been used by your character.

Also try legwraps, puttees (although that's mostly civil war US), or wickelbänder.

James said:
One suggestion: consider winingas, as they are kickass, and more likely than not would have been used by your character.

I will. I've not previosly used them, but now that period footwear is in sight, it's more likely.

Neat website. The only thing I found that I disagree with is he says they should be hemmed, when in truth they should be woven as one piece, with selvedges on both sides.

I know I owe you pictures and stuff, but I'm going to wait for my new 4mm (0.4 / 2.54 = 0.15 inch inner circumference) mail to arrive. I'll probably have to revise some of my stuff to appear richer :???:

Back
Top Bottom