Say cheese: reenactment style

Users who are viewing this thread

It's not necessarily financial resources rather than a true passion for doing it. I started gathering tools back when I was fifteen, and finished my first respectable piece of armour when I was seventeen. I have the bare minimum of tools; I don't polish anything, and I can't use heat on the metal. I spent about $250 to get all the basics, and about $120 on steel so far. (Damn, I have spent a lot.)

James said:
It's not necessarily financial resources rather than a true passion for doing it. I started gathering tools back when I was fifteen, and finished my first respectable piece of armour when I was seventeen. I have the bare minimum of tools; I don't polish anything, and I can't use heat on the metal. I spent about $250 to get all the basics, and about $120 on steel so far. (Damn, I have spent a lot.)

Eh, when one lacks a job and has an overbearing mother, one finds it difficult to "waste" time on metalworks. For instance, she kept urging me to make my boss out of aluminum *shudder* for the sake of expediency.

I didn't have a job, and although my parents weren't annoying, they didn't help fund it much. Actually, I still don't have a job.

I started making that Norman helm, and so far I finished the front panel to a nearly finished state. Three more, and then I can put it together. I am taking pics, and once I have them in hand, I will post a play-by-play.

James said:

Polish? All you need is a buffer wheel that can fit on a standard 6" bench grinder. Gets it shiny as a sword blade.

No, not really. It makes it shiny, but not smooth. I have one. I know. What I need is a Burr King belt sander, but that's not in my near future. Anyway, a heat source is next.

Humm...

Flail_Montage_by_Destichado.jpg

*cough*

Nari, do you have something to tell us?

I'm working on a sword right now, but I'm not sure how to get the blade right withh low heat. It's only going to be for looks, because I don't have a forge, but once I get a few shapes cur out of tin I can weld them together and make a fairly sturdy blade.

Llew2 said:
Let's see...how about: FRICKEN HOT!

Wow. This sounds a lot like any time some girl posts in the Say Cheese thread. Or 'post your dream weapon'?

Hmm, an archer's maul, pretty cool. :smile:

Where are your stakes. :wink:

I tahe it you do an archer persona then?

Nope, I have a craftsman's persona.  I made it because it was fun to make.  :wink:

It's a 14 lb. hickory sledge --that's a 10 lb steel sledgehammer beside it.  I call it "dink" -after the sound that wood pegs make when they're hammered into their tenons.  (I had originally planned to make two other sledges named "donk" and "thunk", but I think one is enough!  XD  ...although I did make something else in the same family.)

It's a tremendously useful tool for "persuading" things to move. :mrgreen:
Seriously.  I thought I was making it just for show, but it's stunning how many times I've had to nudge -or pound- timbers or beams into place (or knock down walls) and dink has been precisely the right tool for the job. 

Back
Top Bottom