Python Saint
Count
WaBd7.jpg

releasing this week!

Nice.

When I was a kid I read this book:
d%2526r.JPG
which is one of the reasons I like Viking conquests so much  :grin:

Edit: oh this is a part of a series! I'm going to have to check this out.

Henty wrote a few good books on the era, dated yet still good, all available as audiobooks as well if you're an out-and-about saunterer. I do living history & also do the u.s. civil war era, so i've read Henty's civil war books, & his civil war series are decent tales as well. Wulf the Saxon, and Havlok the Dane are also not too bad.

Have been looking forward to Cornwell's latest edition all year! Flame bearer was superb. It seems he always releases his newest edition to the Uhtred Saga in October, I always know i'll be getting he book for my bday the same month. Cornwell fan here for many years, he is my fave author & he has his history mostly accurate albeit the few invented characters. In my humble opinion, Cornwell's work is unparalleled in the genre. This post made me highly anticipative all over again! Given Cornwell's age, i'm hopeful he is able to write his saxon tales upto and involving Athelstan's rule and his involvement with the far north, 960a.d. and beyond.

ps. Likely old-hat to some, if you haven't already, the Heimskringla in its original state is a great read regarding the era & i've have found over the years that it contrasts modern popular perspectives (who is this Jarl Orkan fellow anyway? oh, Sigurd the Mighty, riight!)... the exeter book, Egil's saga, Beowulf, are 3 other favourites & the list goes on... (grateful that my Norwegian grandmother raised me on good books back in Norway, Illinois). The Orkinyina saga & the Flateyjarbók version of the saga are also receiving new translations and it's likely to be the best ever given the translator.

Season 3 of the Last Kingdom will aire in the next 4 weeks, it's never as good as the books though.

Last but not least? Wyrd bið ful aræd... Uhtred LIVES!

http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/saga.htm

Back
Top Bottom