[S/WB]Empire III The Campaign old thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to discuss true multi-player sometime.
"MP" warband style isn't really really MMO style multiplayer, its a contrived single battle PVP fest, and not multiple people able to perform all the things SP mode allows, in parallel and likely as not occurring at opposite corners of the map.

I envision this as happening in stages:

1st stage and simplest  --  SP mode, normal warband.  Not very very difficult and OSps available

=====
2nd stage  --  coop mode: "2 player SP" mode
                    add LAN sockets: listener and responder, messaging from one LAN node to another.
                        firewall issues might be skipped or messaging using an already open port
                        IP address of other test PC might be hard coded or entered at start of game.
                        robust playerID authentication, saves, anti cheats, etc can wait until next phase

Queue handler for message/real time update/dynamic patching
                        patching needs to validate each node's items, troops, scripts, scenes, scenes resources to validate not edited/out of date
                        dynamic saves need to RE_VALIDATE same or reject the save as first level anti-cheat.  No char export/import.
                        queue is needed so that QOS type priority can be given to short tactical update messages if a low priority background transfer is underway

Scripts/dialogs:  all references to trp_player now refer to list of virtual players, perhaps defined as 6 entries for now.
                          Performance can be further tuned by setting a global variable that tracks number of connected players and increments/decrements count as more are added/drop connection.  As this is presumed to be a "LAN Party" we can for now assume dropped connections are voluntary camp & exit but that assumption will not be valid at later stages. 

Messages between SP sessions communicate changes from one player regarding the other; each acts as both a client and a server.

Handling "Random" rolls:  replace all random calls with a call to a pseudorandom number generator so that all nodes reproduce the same rolls in the same sequence regardless of how many times the random call is made.  They all need a synchronizing seed value and otherwise any available PC can perform some of the SP functions.

Rogue player who edits / changes compiled text to make his node OP
                  In theory any other PC could host the battle this person plays on, if fed the same player commands and given the same sequence of "random" rolls.  Thus battles can be shadowed on a second PC and the results compared for warning that one has a different set of parameters than the other.  The main weakness I see here is one PC greatly outperforming the other PC so that real time performance enables one to have reduced latency in getting commands to the battlefield and one does not.  There may be forced to partially abstract the commander's role to one of issueing pbod type commands and otherwise sitting back and watching passively rather than actively at sieges and other slow moving events.

Time? SP time moves in a non-linear scale -- sometimes much time passes in a few gamer minutes and during battles and sieges may crawl at a less than realtime if the game is set to slow battles for poor graphics.  Should time be on a 10 minutes to the gamer hour?  6 minutes to the gamer hour?  by mutual polling -- if one is killing an hour in city and the other needs no further time this hour do they skip ahead to the next "hourly turn"?  In which case processing simple_scripts  changes a little.               
======

stage 3 - a server is made to store approved patch list, validated users AND their SAVEGAME settings, auto-migrate savegames to all be the same version, and to link by internet each lan based user.  Number of virtual lan users boosted to some value between 20 and 50.

introduce the concept of Virtual players further by allowing a large number of potentially offline players "sleeping" and the 20-50 concurrent ACTIVE players.  A person dropping connection has status copied from active connection to offline sleeping after 1 minute and can wait in a queue to get back.  I don't really envision PVP but it remains a possibility, with all the ensueing problems with gank and plug pulling common to those environments so either the metagame includes elements to discourage these or just unbearably long wait times to get back in make it less desireable behavior.  Perhaps make kills unlootable for some time or gold/items taken (always a poor idea anyway if from pvp) not saved if the player disconnects suddenly before some cool down period has passed.  These are less technical than social issues in a para/pre-MMO context...

Number of active players at a given moment is important as it determines the depth of  try_for_range    loops; instead of brute forcing all possible virtual players to check some condition nodes should have a sorted list of what the last active player is and either this expands or is contracted as players officially go offline (more than 1 minute passed after they disconnected) to compact/garbage collect spaces on the list.

====
  stage 4
    true mini-MMO  client and server side scripts are separated in order to reduce internode communication overhead and reduce likelihood of client side tampering.  However this has the highest up front hardware costs and likely involves some sort of "club fees" to maintain the model.

I'd post this in my own thread someplace but you said you had an interest in MP and you strike me as the sort of mature coder that finds old school MMO of interest.  Its a pity warband is not the ideal engine BUT if you write now, by the time you are at stage 3 there will likely be bannerlord engine, and by a stage 4 you could get a different engine / venture capital provided you had a good demonstration vehicle.

For your consideration, Sir.

- GS

Alfredthegreat said:
Are there going to be seperate troop tree for each faction, or at least plan for that? And, since of the lack of castle scenes, are you going to implement scenes from osp like 100 calrade castle.

Yes seperate troop trees when I can get to it.  I have been looking at different castle osps, but scenes are a long way from being worked on. right now equipping the troops is what I'm working on, besides doing stuff for the Perisno mod.

some more items

if2648.jpg
s6kdas.jpg
o8z7mx.jpg
3505v8l.jpg
1js22d.jpg
m9n3ht.jpg
2ngrcy1.jpg
dext6w.jpg
6qv09z.jpg

Furrnox said:
Why would you call Rome for the Kingdom of Rome? Why not just Rome, The Empire of Rome or something.

some kingdom names have been changed for the beta version

decided to update 292 armors from maws armor pack to work in warband with normalmaps and specs so that I can add them to mod, partway done

ws3gad.jpg

11l3fb6.jpg
2430ydj.jpg

292 armors! That will give folks a lot of choices!  And, as usual, the examples you show look great!

Lor Dric said:
Furrnox said:
Why would you call Rome for the Kingdom of Rome? Why not just Rome, The Empire of Rome or something.

some kingdom names have been changed for the beta version

decided to update 292 armors from maws armor pack to work in warband with normalmaps and specs so that I can add them to mod, partway done

ws3gad.jpg

11l3fb6.jpg
2430ydj.jpg
Sooo many armors :shock:

The bad news is my hard drive died and I got knocked back to 2.89.
The good news is I'm ready to start adding items again so its almost back to where it was before the hard drive smoked, never had the motor burn up in one before.
I'm done with Perisno for now and will be concentrating on this mod.

Question- is the most recent version of this have all the kingdoms with the villages of every faction offer their proper faction soldiers? Like are all the factions more or less done/in working condition?

Comrade Crimson said:
Question- is the most recent version of this have all the kingdoms with the villages of every faction offer their proper faction soldiers? Like are all the factions more or less done/in working condition?

Not in the current release, they will be done for the next release

Added Terrain advantage by Arch3r

Lor Dric said:
I have gotten ahead of where I was when I lost the Beta

some more armor

Glad to hear that you've recovered from the loss of your hard drive!

The new armor looks great!

installing now.
  Will amend this to include feedback once I have it up and running.

About 20% finished my second attempt to merge Rigale & Diplomacy so I will do this 40/60 today.
  Other boards look like they are stable and don't need my attention for now.

- GS

This is so far the most enjoyable mod I have played. The added features like guilds, warehouses and endless amount of armour is amazing. I have some issues though with the mod that I hope you can fix:

- I forget what the faction's name is but I think it might be franko or something like that. They are located in the southern desert. Whenever I visit their towns they are set in a Nord type settlement even though they are in the desert.

- I'm not sure this is a coding issues but I was wondering if there was a way to reduce the lag travelling across the map with ctrl+space. I have no issue traveling on other big mods but this one just seems to lag.

- Why when I keep starting the game am I super slow. I have tried giving myself max athletics, riding, path finding and agility at the start of the game and I am still going 2.0 during the day.

- The font and background combination sometimes make it hard to read. Would it be possible to add the option to change marketplace, etc. backgrounds and change the font.

Other than that, this is an amazing mod. Only mod I can find with repeating crossbow. Keep up the good work!

Richard_Bennerisonachuke said:
This is so far the most enjoyable mod I have played. The added features like guilds, warehouses and endless amount of armour is amazing. I have some issues though with the mod that I hope you can fix:
Glad you like it.

- I forget what the faction's name is but I think it might be franko or something like that. They are located in the southern desert. Whenever I visit their towns they are set in a Nord type settlement even though they are in the desert.
scenes and factions aren't done yet.

- I'm not sure this is a coding issues but I was wondering if there was a way to reduce the lag travelling across the map with ctrl+space. I have no issue traveling on other big mods but this one just seems to lag.
lag has always been a issue, there are so many parties on screen and alot of background calculations going on, thought it was mostly took care of though

- Why when I keep starting the game am I super slow. I have tried giving myself max athletics, riding, path finding and agility at the start of the game and I am still going 2.0 during the day.
I only have path finding 1 and travel 3.9 at night, you must not be resting and are exhausting your party

- The font and background combination sometimes make it hard to read. Would it be possible to add the option to change marketplace, etc. backgrounds and change the font.

not at this time might do something about it later

Other than that, this is an amazing mod. Only mod I can find with repeating crossbow. Keep up the good work!

the repeating crossbow was made for this mod

sent you a PM with pre beta link so you can check out the new items, normals and specs have to be done for some horses and armors yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom