S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Russian conventional wisdom at the time of Cheynobyl believed consuming Vodka would protect you from the effects of radiation. Scary but true.
:lol: it really takes american simple-mindedness to believe something THAT dumb.
btw, at the time of Chernobyl most people didn't even KNOW something happened there. :\

Weaver said:
btw, at the time of Chernobyl most people didn't even KNOW something happened there. :\

It circulated from the clean up crews apparently (who weren't issued environmental suits as the Soviets thought that limiting them to 15 minutes exposure would be fine :roll:).

Weaver said:
Russian conventional wisdom at the time of Cheynobyl believed consuming Vodka would protect you from the effects of radiation. Scary but true.
:lol: it really takes american simple-mindedness to believe something THAT dumb.

stop with the anti american? Seriously, it's getting anoying. I thought it was based off the old rumour that the people that had drunk vodka wern't hit as hard with radiation when the reactor decided to go boom.

Theoretically it could help. If you can get rid of the radiation fairly quickly then it won't cause immediate problems. Since alcohol is a diaretic, it should help flush the system so to speak.

Of course, you still need to worry about the alcohol driving you blind or killing you're liver...

Archonsod said:

Very true. Vodka would protect you even in fight against Godzilla...

Nice game btw. For the seven years of development  :lol:

The game is hard if you play it like a traditional shooter. Once you get to the accurate guns it's actually pretty easy to wipe out dozens of enemies without being hit yourself on open ground.

Key to succes in STALKER is to control your noise output (it's called stalker after all). Sneaking will let you shoot enemies and (hopefully) finish them off before they shoot you, but beware if the counter in the corner of your map shows more than 1, (the meter indicates the number of npcs in your surroundings), because your foe's mates will storm the place where they heard the gun sounds. This is why using a silenced firearm or a knife to kill individual people is a good idea. It's generally also wise to use the stealth mode always when hostile NPCs are near and unaware of your presence.

If you have to shoot with a loud firearm prepare an escape route before you do. Moving is one of the key elements: They storm the place where they heard the sound, not where you are (you make sound when you run so it might attract unwanted attention).

Due to the lethal nature of the game (well it's lethal at least for me) taking cover helps a lot. Try to find a place where you are exposed as little as possible.

Currently I am using G36 to pick off enemie les close on afar. It's great because normal guys will drop from about 2-3 rounds (I am using double damage mod, got frustrated with the low damage and accuracy in the beginning... it also makes the game much more lethal both for the NPCs and me  :grin:).

PS: I play on master on 1.00

Sleeping isn't in the game as far as I have found ... which stinks because night = difficulty multiplier of 10.
You can pass time using * and / buttons (found on the numpad). * accelerates time and / slowers it. Whether one finds this to be cheating is up to one, I don't.

I updated my game and they took the time modifiers out in the update.

You can knife people??  I may be good at FPS games, but this one is stomping me a new rear-end.  In the very first area where enemies are the dumbest, slowest, and easiest to sneak up on ... I can knife someone with a lot of tries.  Doing so in any later areas is insane to even think of.

Again, I really think I need to crank my skill level down a level or three.  :/

Narcissus

Well I rarely use the knife, since using a silenced pistol is much safer, but I do get occasional knife kills when someone is looking the wrong way (sometimes they just stare into walls, which is strange)... and I actually HAD to use the knife to finish the first mission; I ran out of bullets, and a guy was shooting me from the cover of a tree. I waited him to start loading and rushed. Wouldn't dream of doing that if I had any bullets left, though.

Ilex said:
Well I rarely use the knife, since using a silenced pistol is much safer, but I do get occasional knife kills when someone is looking the wrong way (sometimes they just stare into walls, which is strange)... and I actually HAD to use the knife to finish the first mission; I ran out of bullets, and a guy was shooting me from the cover of a tree. I waited him to start loading and rushed. Wouldn't dream of doing that if I had any bullets left, though.

I killed my first guy with a knife. Instead of shooting at him, I bullrushed him and stuck the knife in his spine. Secondary fire is an intant kill.

oh yeah, and putting -psp at the end of the command line on your shortcut enables thirdperson. Pity it eliminates the flashlight, nightvision, and the ability to talk to people. Someone think they know how to tweak that up a bit?

You guys weren't kidding, this game is quite difficult. I started at veteran and had to turn it down to stalker level difficulty since I kept dying every 20-45 minutes or so and was having severe difficulty getting to the west exit in Garbage (a bit over 10 enemies all waiting around that area on high alert with more occasionally popping in, and no supporting stalkers).
Also, as has been said, the accuracy of early weapons certainly does suck.

Apparently the respawn rate is somewhat murderous too, though there's a mod out to calm it down a little.

Play only shipped my copy yesterday :???: Won't get it until Friday in all likelihood, though that means I get time to complete Half Life 2.

Finlands biggest gaming mag called stalker a pipe-fest. well, yeah, but the pipe is a mile wide most of the time.

I've restarted at Stalker difficulty and am regretting it.  :???:

I'm amazed at the differences between Stalker and Veteran difficulty levels.  At Veteran, the enemies seem to magically know when I was within ten or so feet of them regardless of any noise I made, but at Stalker I can get within a couple of feet before they notice me.  It also seems that their aim has dropped about 75% of its accuracy.

I might just be seeing these changes because I want to see them, but I am restarting and going back to veteran difficulty.

I heard that people are already posting timed rush/finish videos at master difficulty.  I searched but haven't found any.  Is that true???

Narcissus

I tried it at a friends for alittle while....took me 5 tries to get past the first major fire-fight. Guns were just too inaccurate (pistol), but they told me it got better as you go. Maybe Stalker difficulty does kill your accuracy?

Narcissus said:
I heard that people are already posting timed rush/finish videos at master difficulty.  I searched but haven't found any.  Is that true???
Probably, although by all accounts the main plot isn't that long. It's the dynamically generated side missions which bulk out the game...

Hack McSlash said:
Maybe Stalker difficulty does kill your accuracy?

Sorry for the confusion, I meant the AI's accuracy dropped. :wink:

Archonsod said:
Probably, although by all accounts the main plot isn't that long. It's the dynamically generated side missions which bulk out the game...

I did another couple of searches but came up empty.  The two forum members that were claiming to have watched them haven't replied (even though they have logged on) so I'm claiming tall-tale-telling.  :shrug:

Narcissus

Yeah, I've gotten further and it gets much easier once you have a gun with good accuracy and range. I've switched the difficulty back up to veteran since stalker was too easy like that.

Also I found out there's a very nice suit of armor hidden in the starter town, which helps a whole lot since you otherwise can't get decent armor until you make it to the bar (a fair ways). If you have the unpatched game it's very very nice armor, if you've patched then it's downgraded to one not quite as good.
If you want to find that armor (it is well hidden), there are FAQs online which give the location.

Back
Top Bottom