[S] Sword Song - 9th Century England

Users who are viewing this thread

BadKarma

Regular
Sorry to all.  I was out of the loop for the entire summer.  Unfortunately my paying job will prevent me from continuing to develop this MOD.
Anyone who is interested in continuing this MOD please feel free to use anything and everything I have posted to keep it going or develop someting similar.  If there is any other data you may need please PM me and I will be happy to sned you everything I have.
Sincerely,
BadKarma

Version 2 now available to download
All new items list
revamped troop tree

This MOD is set in the British Isles between 800-900 CE for the WarBand expansion.

9 Factions
-The Church- Not a historical kingdom but so influential in the period that I though it would be interesting to add them as a faction.
peasant -> christian milita -> christian archer
                                    \
                                    priest -> monk ->  warrior monk 
                                        \
                                        pilgrim(mounted) -> knight protector(mounted)
-Kingdom of Mercia
peasant -> fyrdman -> vet. fyrdman -> thane ->  huscarl             
          \                  \
            \                archer -> vet. archer -> sherwood forrester
            \
          scout(mounted)
-Kingdom of Wessex
peasant -> fyrdman -> vet. fyrdman -> thane -> huscarl
                        \                    \
                          \                light cavalry -> mounted thane
                        bowman
-Kingdom of Scotland
clansmen -> spearman -> highlander -> vet. highlander -> noble highlander
      \          \          \
        \          \        highland archer
        \          \
          \      pikeman -> arm. pikeman
          \
        Tracker(mounted)
-Irish Principalities
peasant -> skirmisher -> dartman -> kern -> elite kern
                    \
                    spearman -> warrior -> noble
                            \
                            horseman -> mounted noble
-Welsh Principalities
peasant -> woodsman -> spearman -> Celtic warrior -> Celtic hero
                                  \              \
                                    \              Scout -> mounted welsh raider
                                      \
                                    bowman-> veteran Bowman -> welsh Radier
-Kingdom of the Picts
tribesman -> skirmisher -> warrior vet. warrior -> chosen warrior ->chieftan
                                \
                                  \
                              huntsman
-Kingdom of Northumbria
peasant-> fyrdman -> vet. fyrdman -> thane -> huscarl -> warlord
      \                      \
      Rider                  \
                                  \
                                  archer -> ranger
-DaneLaw (vikings)
recruit -> milita -> viking -> vet. Viking -> viking captian -> sword dane
      \        \
      \        viking cavalry
        \
        huntsman -> viking archer

-New NPCs with Dialog
-New Map
-OSP Armours and Weapons

Thanks to everyone who contributes to the OSP and to Morgh for his Modding tools which have been a big help.

Download Version 2

Known Bugs:
-Do not choose "take a ship Edinburgh" in the opening menu. For whatever reason the merchant does not appear and you become stuck in the opening battle sequence. I do not know what causes this but I am still working on it.

-Error message comes up as soon as you start a new game. It does not affect gameplay.

Plans for future release:
Fix scenes i.e. you go into a village in scotland and it is a sarranid desert village.
Fix dialog for pretenders and party members who spread right to rule.
Add diplomacy features

Why are there LOTR movie weapons in a historical mod? For example, the elven two handed sword and the urak-hai cleaver are both called "pictish swords" or something like that. Excuse me? Its a great concept for a mod, and it is plenty interesting without having to introduce fantasy weapons. I also noticed you used Bernard Cornwell's anachronistic spellings of Viking names instead of what they really should be in English. I was very excited for this mod, but it is very disappointing historically :sad:

I would add more equipment and armor that truly gives the time period some justice, because if you take away all the anachronistic stuff, it is basically a stripped version of warband.

I just started to play this mod and I think I will be liking it. It is something completely new and fresh for Warband, map is nice, its size is just good because I personally don't like uselessly large map with this endless riding across it. Something like that really was lacking here because I really somehow can't withstand already this bad Calradia map with all these stupid detours and so on. I think difficulty is just alright although I was crushed in the beginning by some bands of Sea Raiders but they are always quite strong.  I think Adorno's castles would be the most proper  in this mod. I will see how my enthusiasm and contentment will be evolving in the course of playing. So, man, thanks for this mod. This is my first reaction and impression. And despite of Uhtred I like historical accuracy too but for me it can't be completely strict because anyway it is just game and not any simulator of some exact historical period. For me is sufficient you won't be wanting to add some samurais and katanas here or plate armors from renaissance period and so on. wink:   

Well, I think it's a good idea, interesting map and could be exciting.

However you have a *lot* of work to do on items and troop types, at the moment this mod has nothing at all to do with 9th century england other than a few faction names and the general shape of the map.

The items are all over the place, and sarumans staff? foils?

If I were you, i'd delete *every* item and carefully cherry pick what to add. This is a period of cloth, leather and chain mail (for the very rich and succesfull warrior).

Good idea, but still a ton of work to do before it's finished.

I would also like to say, I love any mod which removes that ABOMINATION they call a map in warband, my god, whoever made that thing should be fired, I really look forward to someone re-making the old map for warband, then maybe...maybe, i'll play some native.

yes. I agree with El Diablito. Take out every item, and hand pick what items you want. As he said, most men would be clad in cloth, leather, with a minority in chain mail. Also add more weapons, they are already out there. To me its silly to have a Viking Age game without seaxs and more hand axes and spears. Take out the foils, saruman's staff, elven swords etc etc and add more historically accurate items.

I think you are too severe to it. Even creating such map isn't easy. I have seen a lot of worse map of British isles.  :wink:

you should fix the dane troop tree. Less native huscarl armor and more historically accurate armor : )

I will definitely try this one, since I have a great interest in the period and really like Cornwell's Saxon series.

Having read the replies above, I'm anticipating a few flaws, but I also think that it's hard work to be historically correct, create the right atmosphere and stay balanced. If you haven't done so yet, BadKarma, I would suggest you ask the creators of other mods related to this topic (Viking series by Ruthven, 867-A.D. Lords of War) for help with items etc.
So good luck improving the mod, I'm off to install now.  :smile:

El-Diablito said:

However you have a *lot* of work to do on items and troop types, at the moment this mod has nothing at all to do with 9th century england other than a few faction names and the general shape of the map.

If I were you, i'd delete *every* item and carefully cherry pick what to add. This is a period of cloth, leather and chain mail (for the very rich and succesfull warrior).

I would also like to say, I love any mod which removes that ABOMINATION they call a map in warband, my god, whoever made that thing should be fired, I really look forward to someone re-making the old map for warband, then maybe...maybe, i'll play some native.
I will defintiely clean up the items in the next release.  I know a lot of the armors and weapons (i.e. LOTR stuff) are really out of place.  I just wanted a little variety until I can work out a more realistic items list. 

El-Diablito said:

What changes would you suggest to the troop trees?  From my limited historical knowledge it seems that everyonw in the period fielded pretty much the same type of army, a lot of heavy infantry with some cavalry and archer support.  I tried to mix it up a little to give the game some variety but in the end I just was not sure which way to go with some of the troop trees, especially the welsh, pict, scot and irish.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Why are there LOTR movie weapons in a historical mod? For example, the elven two handed sword and the urak-hai cleaver are both called "pictish swords" or something like that. Excuse me? Its a great concept for a mod, and it is plenty interesting without having to introduce fantasy weapons. I also noticed you used Bernard Cornwell's anachronistic spellings of Viking names instead of what they really should be in English. I was very excited for this mod, but it is very disappointing historically :sad:

I would add more equipment and armor that truly gives the time period some justice, because if you take away all the anachronistic stuff, it is basically a stripped version of warband.
Uhtred, any help you could throw my way on place names would be greatly appreciated.  I honestly got a little lazy toward the end of my map making progress and stated cutting corners on names.  As for the items, (sigh) I know they need a lot of work.  A historically accurate MOD from that period is more difficult to put together than one might expect.  I would welcome any collaboration or advice you might have.

BadKarma said:
What changes would you suggest to the troop trees?  From my limited historical knowledge it seems that everyonw in the period fielded pretty much the same type of army, a lot of heavy infantry with some cavalry and archer support.  I tried to mix it up a little to give the game some variety but in the end I just was not sure which way to go with some of the troop trees, especially the welsh, pict, scot and irish.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Be careful.
Well, there are surely differences concerning the armies. In big battles, Saxons for instance field the so called Fyrd, consisting mainly of farmers that are recruited only for a limited time. They were not likely to be well equipped, so no swords and chainmail, but rather cloth, leather, axes, spears, maybe even pitchforks and sickles. The minority and at the same time the core of the army would be the household troops of ealdormen, wearing more expensive weapons and armour.

I'm not sure about Danish armies on a big scale. Although the crew of a longship may consist of well-equipped warriors, bigger armies could probably be only raised with levied non-professional troops from the occupied kingdoms/areas.

Concerning the placenames: Did you stick with the names of the novels or did you have other sources? I had a quick view of the map and many names were different from the novel and also from those I saw in other sources.

BadKarma, try to avoid double/triple posting. You can edit your posts by clicking the modify-button.  :wink:

Could it be possible to get a troop tree showing all the faction troops and what they upgrade to and so on? (always nice to have in the first post in the mods thread for people to easier see what the mod is about and for them to identify the different factions)

btw, loving the mod  :mrgreen: I think things are sped up or something, very fun indeed.

I was in Lorien in northern Scotland and this village is taken from desert area. It is really bad. The same village Ardem a Allness, Gyfnir and others. It should be exchanged as soon as possible. Didn't you check it at all?  :???:

I read and loved this series, coincidentally the original idea for mount and blade comes from a mixture of things but one of them is inspiration from bernard cornwells realistic fight scenes. I am going to wait a while to download untill the flaws are mostly picked out but good Idea for a mod

Back
Top Bottom