[S] Rallix's Troop Trees

Users who are viewing this thread

I like making new troops for Native Singleplayer, and here's a couple of them.

My most current work is a simplification troop tree, that also required modification of party_templates.
There are less tiers in all factions, increasing the quality of each unit, and making them fulfill more unique roles.
There are some slightly outdated screenshots of the Sarranids in the link below. (No significant differences to the downloaded file.)

Essentially I streamlined the whole process of recruiting, upgrading, and commanding soldiers by making the trees themselves shorter and to the point. It's for Version 1.143 of Warband, and you can use it with Diplomacy and PBOD at a moment's notice.
Kingdom of Swadia: I base them loosely off of the Holy Roman Empire.

Levies: Recruit Tier units, these are peasants obliged by feudal law to serve in their Lord's army. They are equipped with padded armour, 1-handed weapons, shields, and hunting crossbows. Cheap to maintain, these are the men you should use in large numbers for garrison duty. They upgrade to Infantry, or Crossbowmen.

Infantry: They are shod in mail, and tend to be readily trainable and versatile heavy footmen. These fellows are difficult to defeat in large numbers due to their meatshield-like resilience. Can Upgrade to Men-at-Arms or Sergeants.

Crossbowmen: The standard Swadian ranged units, these soldiers can be fielded in large numbers easily, but have survivability only marginally better than the levies, equipped only with padded armour, shields, and better crossbows. They provide a reliable cover of bolts however, and upgrade to Sergeant Crossbowmen.

Sergeants: Well trained and tough, the Swadian sergeant gives the swadian army an elite infantry backbone. They have plated and mail armours, as well as strong melee weapons.

Sergeant Crossbowmen: Grizzled and decently armoured in mail, the Sergeant-Ranked Crossbowmen are better shots than their subordinates, and have better equipment.

Men-at-Arms: The finest heavy-cavalry in Calradia. Knights and mounted sergeants, these men are to be feared in a charge, and most others are hard-pressed to bring them down. They do have the drawbacks though of being the most expensive to mantain and difficult to train warriors on the continent.

Kingdom of Vaegirs: I base them off of the Kievan Rus, with anachronistic armour for balance and aesthetic purposes.

Serf Footmen: Untrained and fur-coated infantrymen, they are fodder for the meat-grinder. However, charging into a large group of them may have you axing why you did it, if you aren't well armoured. Upgrade to Infantry and Strelecs.

Infantry: Coated in mail, these men provide a similar service to their Swadian equivalents. Though, these men may tote a few two-handed axes, making them more useful for assaults than their counterparts. They upgrade to Noble Cavalry and Druzhina.

Strelecs: These fellows are lightly armed and armoured, but prove to be deservingly feared bowmen in decent amounts, especially when they are further trained to Marksmen or Light Cavalry.

Druzhina: The Vaegir Druzhinik serves his Lord as a retainer and elite infantryman, being finely armoured in lamellar and mail. Like many Vaegir troops they favour axes and swords. These men are useful for both holding and taking battlements.

Strelec Marksmen: Quite arguably the finest archers on Calradian soil. They are armoured in studded leather and lamellar, and draw the heaviest bows.

Light Cavalry: Providing important auxiliary forces, men of the southern Vaegir plains join the armies of the Boyars as light horsemen, armed with bow, lance, axe, and sword.

Noble Cavalry: Drawn from the aristocracy of the Vaegir courts, these men are finely armoured, but not as well trained as Swadians. However, they are cheaper, and more easily trained.

Khergit Khanate: They are of course based on the Mongols.

Tribesmen: Armoured in leather, and riding inexpensive mounts, the freshly recruited tribesman does his Noyan the service of scouting, and fighting as javelin-armed skirmishers, with poor shields and one-handed weapons. They the most vulnerable Khergits on the field, but upgrade to Horsemen

Horsemen: Heavily padded, and modestly armed light cavalry. They are the standard rider in a Khergit army, and are often the most numerous. Some have bows, some do not. They ride steppe horses, and carry some combination of shields, maces, lances, and swords. They become more specialized as they are more trained, and eventually become a lancer or horse-archer.

Horse-Archers: The best mounted archers in Calradia. They ride swift white horses, and send finely crafted Khergit shafts accurately as they go. They are armoured in lamellar vests, and have slightly better melee weapons than the standard horseman.

Lancers: The finest light-cavalry in Calradia. Lancers do not wield bows, but lances of course. Their lances are longer than those of their subordinates, and they are well-trained with them. Lancers also boast the best armour and weapons, clad in steel, white, and blue; sometimes their horses are also armoured in the Vaegir Style. True warriors of the Sky-Father.

Kingdom of Nords: Based on the late Viking age Norse, and Anglo-Saxons.

Leidangr Militia: Common men called to serve in the Leidang by the Jarls. They are well-padded, and equipped with spears, hand-axes, javelins and shields. Upgrades to Frimann or Bowman.

Leidangr Frimenn: No longer serving in the militia by obligation, these are free soldiers of the Kingdom. They are clad in shirts of mail, and their weapons include throwing axes, javelins, two-handed axes, swords, and hand-axes. They are reliable and easy to train. Frimenn upgrade to Hirdmenn.

Leidangr Bowmen: These archers provide quantity to quality among the Bow-wielding Nords, being equipped with padded armour, and short bows. With training, they can become Hird Longbowmen.

Hirdmenn: Retainers of the Jarl, these warriors form the backbone of the Nord military. Their equipment is similar to a Frimann's, but consistently better, as well as their training. They wear Hauberks, their shields are iron-rimmed, and their swords are finer. With time they can become Huscarls.

Hird Longbowmen: The elite archers of the Jarls, these men draw the longbow, and launch bodkin shafts for a living. They are dressed in mail, but do not carry shields. They're not too shabby in a close fight either.

Huscarls: The best Infantry in Calradia, and the hardest to train. They are servants to the Jarls, and considered a higher-class Hirdmann. Their shields have a stronger design, their axes a clever bite, and their swords are often given names. Their armour is reinforced with laminated leather, or lamellar.

Kingdom of Rhodoks:

Clansmen: Rough men of the mountain villages, brought into service by coin or conscription. They are given or inherit their weapons, which will always include a hunting crossbow, a beat up pavise shield, and some sort of one-handed weapon. They give a little more volume to the fire of the Rhodok crossbow corps, and a little more wood to the wall of shields. When properly trained, they will be given the rank of Private.

Privates: Protected by padded kilts and cloth, the average Private uses either a pike, or a shield and spear. Usually the former. They are useful for stopping cavalry in their tracks, when used in large, tight formations. Alone they are quite vulnerable, and are best used in conjunction with other Rhodok infantry. When proven able, the private will be promoted to corporal.

Crossbow Privates: The crossbowmen of the Rhodok Counts tend to be less well equipped in terms of armour than the infantry, but this is only natural because crossbows are expensive weapons. They all have shields, and a side arm. Frequently the men of the crossbow troops become mercenaries, after either being discharged, or by deserting. Despite their poor survivability in a melee, these troops prove excellent for volleying bolts at foes. When their skills are up to par, they get promoted to corporal.

Corporals: These men are protected by mail armour, and wield the glaive, pike, spear, and shield with nearly unmatched ability. They make up the bulk infantry forces of the Rhodoks. If they survive long enough, the veterans among these troops will be promoted to Sergeant.

Crossbow Corporals: About as well armoured as a private of the infantry, the corporals of the crossbowmen shoot heavy crossbows with the accuracy due a Swadian Crossbow Sergeant. They have better shields and side-arms than their subordinates. When his kill-count is tallied high enough, he can be promoted to Sergeant.

Sergeants: Equipped in good mail, these are the backbone of any Rhodoks. They have fought in the line a long time, and are finally given the right to use a one-handed weapon and shield in the formation, which gives them the ability to release their pent up disgust of their enemies in very personal combat, on any foe willing to come within military cleaver, hammer, or pick range.

Crossbow Sergeants: As well armoured as an infantry corporal, these soldiers know how to shoot their siege-crossbows better than any other sharpshooters on the continent. With time, they've gained some proficiency with their side-arms and shields, being able to be used as medium-infantry once their quivers are empty.

Here's the link:
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=3420

This is the first completed troop tree I released; It is compatible with a good number of partial conversion mods.
Download Original
(As well as Diplomacy)

Post and give me Feedback please.
Suggestions and ideas are welcome. Also, feel free to change around anything you like.
Thanks to Morgh for making an awesome mod tools set, without which I would be deaf, blind, and dumb in modding my favorite thing to mod, troops.

RalliX said:
Mercenaries, now available. (Old)
(Replace Watchmen)

(Replace Caravan Guards)
[URL=http://img651.imageshack.us/i/mb26.jpg/]
(Replace Mercenary Crossbowmen, use bows and crossbows.)[URL=http://img17.imageshack.us/i/mb33.jpg/]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
(Replace Mercenary Horsemen)

(Replace Mercenary Swordsmen.)

(Replace Mercenary Cavalry)

(Replace Hired Blades)

Mind sharing the troop trees here, Rallix? Perhaps also details about the various units in the troop tree...which were added to Native, which were changed and how?

It's hard to get an idea of what you've changed from the statements about the faction's character.

Mercenaries, now available to all factions.
(Replace Watchmen)

(Replace Caravan Guards)
[URL=http://img651.imageshack.us/i/mb26.jpg/]
(Replace Mercenary Crossbowmen, use bows and crossbows.)[URL=http://img17.imageshack.us/i/mb33.jpg/]
(Replace Mercenary Horsemen)

(Replace Mercenary Swordsmen.)

(Replace Mercenary Cavalry)

(Replace Hired Blades)

Doesn't "Militia" to "Noble Footman" seem like a bit of a change? Seems like a big promotion  :razz:

RalliX said:
Zigama said:
Doesn't "Militia" to "Noble Footman" seem like a bit of a change? Seems like a big promotion  :razz:
Perhaps, I was somewhat wondering at it myself.
I merely decided to go for it. The men you recruit are neither said to be nobles or Peasants when you recruit them, so I just decided that peasants will become peasant archers, and nobles will become mail-donning melee troops.
Still, a footman is just a footman.
A new version of the mod has been released. It's Compatible with Diplomacy, and I suggest installing it with Diplomacy+PBOD.

Comrade Temuzu said:
I like the Merc tree. Well done :razz:
Yeah, it's supposed to be a conglomeration of different armour and weapon styles. Sorta marking how the mercs come from everywhere. If you like them, I think you'll not find the factions themselves lacking.

I made any recruit you get from a village able to be turned into a mercenary at some point, and thus lords of infantry factions now have mercenary cavalry to bolster them, and Khergits have infantry and foot-archers.

Failing Conquer said:
Quick question. When you download this, does it replace the native files or is it a stand-a-lone mod?
Indeed, it simply replaces anything you already have there under the same name. It is best to back up what you have there somewhere convenient, or copy/paste Native and make another module to play it with.

Here's a video of some Rhodok Veteran Spearmen & Sergeants duking it out against about a third less Swadian Knights & Squires, ending with a not-too-shabby turnout.

http://www.xfire.com/video/42f0bf/ (don't mind the odd noises I may make.)  :razz:

RalliX said:
Here's a video of some Rhodok Veteran Spearmen & Sergeants duking it out against about a third less Swadian Knights & Squires, ending with a not-too-shabby turnout.

http://www.xfire.com/video/42f0bf/ (don't mind the odd noises I may make.)  :razz:
Will download just for the music you were listening to :razz:

RalliX said:
Gottfried von Berlingen said:
RalliX said:

Will download just for the music you were listening to :razz:
:???:  :lol:

Orion by Metallica, though you probably guessed that, friend.

Who likes the idea of 6th Tier Swadian Cavalry and Khergit Ranged Infantry?
If you do, please have a look here: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2777
Keep in mind, it's only compatible with Diplomacy, because somebody just had to add a new item(to diplomacy) which makes it incompatible with native. :l
Edit: Oh yeah, and don't forget Separate Longbowman and Sharpshooter classes for Swadia now.

I'll release that new version momentarily. 3.6 Let's say?
Also, so this doesn't seem like just a random addition, I give you Khergit Black Horsemen!
Yes, they are now a horse-archer mercenary upgrading from Merc archers.

http://img828.imageshack.us/g/mb6f.jpg/

Two questions if i may:

- Why was the Khergit Lancer removed?  What was the rationale? This isn't a critque, im just curious as to why.

- Is this mod compatible with the Native Mod Compilation? ( http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,126993.0.html )

Back
Top Bottom