[S] Historic Castles Project - the British Isles [Released for Warband]

Users who are viewing this thread

othr said:
That is very nice!  Let me get my little, grubby hands on them!

Here is some castle plans

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:razz:lans_of_castles_of_the_Teutonic_Knights

Another one
IMG_9306_8_7.jpg

The castle on the picture is polish, not Teutonic :wink: It is Chęciny castle build during Fragmentation of Poland and rebuild by Casimir III the Great in XIV century.

There are some great pictures of that castle: http://dwory_dworki.republika.pl/checiny.html (It's in polish, I can translate it, if you want it)

Casimir the Great is know as the best founder of medieval castles in my country ( yes, I'm from Poland  :wink: ). If you want planes and pictures of the most interesting and epic polish castles, I can help  :wink:

absolutely fantastic job Adorno
I think I shall have to renounce my oath and get myself some castles  :mrgreen:

if you feel more adventurous I would love to see you having a go at a walled town, such as Southampton
southampton.jpg
as that would be awesome.

the main gate to Southampton (known as the Bargate) is at the north end of the high street and in Norman times it was just a square keep.

today it looks like this
inside the walls
Southampton-Bargate.jpg

outside the walls
Southampton%20bargate.jpg

I'm not saying that you should make a completely accurate scene of Southampton, but offering this in the hope that it gives you some more inspiration  :smile:

those scenes are insane,

i think if your up to it making some city fights would be awesome, as right now sieging a city is soo god damn boring, fighting 300~ men on a single wall. It would be better, if when taking a city you took the walls, fought through the high street,  then onto the keep

if doing some city scenes interests you I'll willingly search for good reference ideas

but basically thinking;
farm area -> city walls -> high street -> keep

also on a side note, are you able to use the other siege tower model? (contains a staging area behind the ladder where you can stand waiting for it to lower) & has a crows nest top.
I'm not sure how hard it is to do this but an awesome idea would be (possibly includes script edits); thinking to the ship combat mod that spawned X amounts of ships depending on how many units you had, what I'm thinking if the siege tower is doable a great addition would be spawning archers on top of it(on the top deck) and infantry/cavalry on the second floor, ready to go as the ramp goes down and as each tower can only carry so many men will need more siege towers.

if the whole getting men to spawn on the tower is too much, just using the alternative siege tower would be awesome, model is soo much better. (although it does use a steep ladder so i'm assuming the rate that men climb it will be slow

You are all too kind. These are my first castles, so it's still a learning process.
The main problem with sieges that I see is: all the fighting takes place by ladders or a siege tower,
and once they're 'breached' the battle is basically won.
Trying to change that and you get more open battles making castles harder to defend.
There should be a great advantage in having a castle. So it's a catch 22  :smile:

Thanks to this thread - and kind people - I now have plenty of good resources for new castles.
I'm working on Llansteffan/Llanstephan castle (in Wales) - a very simple castle but with an interesting approach to the siege, hopefully  :smile:
Then Trim castle is interesting (classic Norman stone castle) - and Kolba offered some work.

I still prefer the fascinating history of the British isles :smile:

towns aren't all about sieges though and there is more to do when walking round them.

but my hat is off to you sir, these castles look so good in game.

Adorno said:
The main problem with sieges that I see is: all the fighting takes place by ladders or a siege tower,
and once they're 'breached' the battle is basically won.
Trying to change that and you get more open battles making castles harder to defend.
It would be greater with defensers equally split on few separated concentric location (Outer defensive perimeter>wall/bridge>keep/fort...); where last should host player and overview previous.
Intruders would have to breach severals times while on the same scene.
(but might be problem with defensive reinforcement spawn spot ?)

How about Conwy Castle? If you look for welsh castles, you might find quite a few that fit your interest. Seeing as how many were built by the English in and around the 13th century in order to get a firmer grip on the territory. Also using google maps, you can get great satellite photos of castles, as well as get street level views. (if you zoom in very close)

conwy_castle.jpg

conwy-castle-pa_1010927c.jpg

Aeon said:
It would be greater with defensers equally split on few separated concentric location (Outer defensive perimeter>wall/bridge>keep/fort...); where last should host player and overview previous.
Intruders would have to breach severals times while on the same scene.
(but might be problem with defensive reinforcement spawn spot ?)
That would be ideal if you ask me. But that's a job for Armagan to change the AI.
Right now there are 2 spawn points (10/11) where the main defensive force spawns,
and once that's been defeated you've won. You can't make 'multiple stage' (Outer defensive perimeter>wall/bridge>keep/fort) sieges.

thick1988 said:
How about Conwy Castle?
Fantastic castle. Built between 1283 and 1289. The little Llansteffan caste is soon done and this could be the next Walesian project  :smile:

you can have multiple stage defenses in towns

breach the walls then fight in the streets then in the castle keep/hall

the only problem would be holding back enough defending troops for the street fighting

Adorno said:
That would be ideal if you ask me. But that's a job for Armagan to change the AI.
Right now there are 2 spawn points (10/11) where the main defensive force spawns,
and once that's been defeated you've won. You can't make 'multiple stage' (Outer defensive perimeter>wall/bridge>keep/fort) sieges.
What I'm trying to say is, to not rely only on hypothetic AI improvement from the devs, there is something related to castle design that worth to experiment :idea:...
As we know AI npc cannot jump, so if you manage to mod a -what I call- "saw step" surface/obstacle, you could concentrate defensers. Let me show with a picture :
1274395143.png

A- Defensers (blue) rush to intruders, but are blocked by the saw step (vertical riser)
B- Intruders (red) could over-pass it by walking on the tread (oblique), "fall" beyond the saw step, and go on.
C- Player could either stay retreated or rush to intruders by jumping the saw step. (or if intruder, assaulting in the other way like any npc). 

Imagine if you could set a saw step somewhere like here...
1274395191.jpg

...and place the second defensive spawn spot just behind it

hi Adorno
you can explain to me how i can make or edit a new castle and make their spawn point?

No, no, no, you simply MUST make some Teutonic castles!

Just joking!  But if you ever run out of scene targets..... :smile:

Proie said:
hi Adorno
you can explain to me how i can make or edit a new castle and make their spawn point?
I don't know why people think I'm good at this. I know how scene edit works, and that's just it.  :smile:
Not how to make new scenes and spawn points.
If you just want to edit an existing castle: go to the scene, keep the spawn points and passages - and tear the rest down.
Then build a new one and place the spawn points and passages accordingly.

Aeon said:
Adorno said:
What I'm trying to say is, to not rely only on hypothetic AI improvement from the devs, there is something related to castle design that worth to experiment :idea:...
As we know AI npc cannot jump, so if you manage to mod a -what I call- "saw step" surface/obstacle, you could concentrate defensers.
I could try doing that, but I'm still not sure if it works in practice.
first of all it will look strange  :smile: - and second there's only one spawn point (11)  where the main force spawns.
The other spawn points are meant for small units of ranged troops. And then there's reinforcements.
So if the main force is placed by the first 'saw step' you still only need to defeat them,
and the other 'saw steps' will be guarded by a small number of troops.
We must also remember the ranged troops are programmed to be passive and might not pose much of a threat...
But I suppose it's worth a try. If you know scene editing you could try it out yourself with the motte & bailey castle.  :smile:

Progress report: Llansteffan castle is nearly done. Just a small (native size) castle. Screenshots tomorrow.
Busy weekend but next week a new castle  :smile:

Adorno said:
If you know scene editing you could try it out yourself with the motte & bailey castle.  :smile:
Unfortunely I have no skill about that  :oops:
But nevermind, I realized it was just a noob idea.

Oh by the way, let me introduce you "Clyth castle", a mid 13th century Scottish castle (but descend from Viking).
dwwdfn.jpg
wich would fit to substitute the sea edged "Tevarin castle".
(even if I have to admit Tevarin Castle is also good enough in native)
3485cif.jpg

adorno can you give me the list of the step for edit a existing native castle
how i can edit it and change the edit native castle to the existing native castle?

@Proie.

Click the Configure button in the Warband Splash Screen.
When the second window pops up, click on the "Advanced" tab.
Once there, you'll see two tickboxes, one is "Enable Edit Mode", and the other is "Force Single-Threading". Tick the first one.
Once this is done, press the OK button on the lower left corner of the Configure screen, then run the game.
Go to the castle that you want to edit, click "Take a walk around the courtyard" then press Ctrl and E simultaneously.
Tinker.
Profit.

Back
Top Bottom