(S) Calradia 1050 A.D.: Mercenary Uprising mod (Old Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job.

A few suggestions. How about implementing hunting from BW and few other mods? I think it's OSP, so it wouldn't be a bit deal to include.  It's a great way how to get early money and later to get additional supplies for army.
About armours, I totally support the reduction on mail abundance. Few more variations on boiled leather armour instead wouldn't be bad. Speaking of which...how about adding a heraldic variations of some lighter armours that could be worn by some factions' high tier troops? I mean, Swadians, Eastern Provinces and perhaps Rhodoks strike me as the kind that would do that. It would be great for example to see EP archers occassionally wear heraldic tunic...
By the way, are you using any method to guarantee polearms to troops that should be using them? A simple option was added in 1.168 and is described for example here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,367421.0.html (since it's stated that this mod is for 1.153+, I assume you didn't use that).

And about lances. No lances in tourneys is great. I wouldn't mind exclusion of weapons with couched ability entirely from the mod. Historically, the technique and related tactics were just developing on Earth of same time period, and were not yet popular, and from gameplay perspective, I feel it's bad, unbalanced...player can easily abuse it to do huge damage with minimal stats and skills, while it is hard to use or counter by AI. However...I noticed that virtually no cavalry uses spears, and there is exactly one lancer unit (Khergiz). Spears and lances, although not couched, were still most common cavalry weapon of the time. Unfortunately, there isn't an animation for two-handed spear stab from horseback, since kontos-a heavy two-handed lance-was still popular on Earth among Byzantine cataphracts.

Edit: a little question...the new companions, what are their likes and dislikes in party?

Sarin said:
Great job.

A few suggestions. How about implementing hunting from BW and few other mods? I think it's OSP, so it wouldn't be a bit deal to include.  It's a great way how to get early money and later to get additional supplies for army.
About armours, I totally support the reduction on mail abundance. Few more variations on boiled leather armour instead wouldn't be bad. Speaking of which...how about adding a heraldic variations of some lighter armours that could be worn by some factions' high tier troops? I mean, Swadians, Eastern Provinces and perhaps Rhodoks strike me as the kind that would do that. It would be great for example to see EP archers occassionally wear heraldic tunic...
By the way, are you using any method to guarantee polearms to troops that should be using them? A simple option was added in 1.168 and is described for example here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,367421.0.html (since it's stated that this mod is for 1.153+, I assume you didn't use that).

And about lances. No lances in tourneys is great. I wouldn't mind exclusion of weapons with couched ability entirely from the mod. Historically, the technique and related tactics were just developing on Earth of same time period, and were not yet popular, and from gameplay perspective, I feel it's bad, unbalanced...player can easily abuse it to do huge damage with minimal stats and skills, while it is hard to use or counter by AI. However...I noticed that virtually no cavalry uses spears, and there is exactly one lancer unit (Khergiz). Spears and lances, although not couched, were still most common cavalry weapon of the time. Unfortunately, there isn't an animation for two-handed spear stab from horseback, since kontos-a heavy two-handed lance-was still popular on Earth among Byzantine cataphracts.

Edit: a little question...the new companions, what are their likes and dislikes in party?

Thanks for the comments.  I am aware of the new operation in MS 1.172 to flag polearms and will use it once I convert to the module system.  For this and previous versions I am using Sonkidd's force melee weapons script, which works fine but necessarily limits the numbers of weapons that can be included in the troops' inventories.

I chose to do away with heraldic armors for a couple of reasons.  The first is that I haven't optimized the heraldic codes for some of the added banners and as a result certain banners don't look good on heraldic armors.

Second, I felt that heraldic armor was a bit advanced for the time period, although I haven't removed all anachronistic items, I have tried to reduce them a great deal.

As for spears/lances for mounted troops: I have changed my thoughts on this several times.  In this latest version, I decided to give spears to the lowest level professional mounted troops and not to the highest level professional mounted troops.  As you stated, the use of spears/lances by mounted troops is imperfect.  They work fine when the horse is moving fast, as when pursuing routing enemies but don't work well when the horse is slowed and the troop doesn't change to his one-handed melee weapon.  Part of this is due to the PBOD coding, which tried to fix this issue but didn't completely succeed.  I decided to take spears/lances away from the higher tier mounted troops so as to make them more effective in combat, using either their sword or mace or two-handed weapon.  I also made the cavalry lances non-couchable but gave them more damage.

As for the Khergiz, there are actually 3 mounted troops with lances in their inventory: the Master Horseman, the Professional, and the Veteran Horseman.

I appreciate your interest.  Let me know of any ideas or recommendations for improving the mod. 

One thing I really miss that is included in the newer Diplomacy version is color coded messages. Going back to white messages just makes it so much harder to read. Would love it if the coding doesn't involve significant and potential bug-inducing changes.

sirballington said:
One thing I really miss that is included in the newer Diplomacy version is color coded messages. Going back to white messages just makes it so much harder to read. Would love it if the coding doesn't involve significant and potential bug-inducing changes.

I hear you.  I will consider this for future version.  I had tried to switch to Diplomacy 4.3 before but that introduced other bugs so I reverted back to Diplo 4.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom