(S) Calradia 1050 A.D.: Mercenary Uprising mod (Old Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Redleg, I don't know if you know already but there's some new item flags in the 1.171 module system in header_items.py called "itp_covers_hair_partially" to make it so hair can appear under helmets. Might be useful for some of the helmets you have that don't have coifs to hide character hair.

ThegnAnsgar said:
Hey Redleg, I don't know if you know already but there's some new item flags in the 1.171 module system in header_items.py called "itp_covers_hair_partially" to make it so hair can appear under helmets. Might be useful for some of the helmets you have that don't have coifs to hide character hair.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I tried to compile with the new header files from 1.166 but didn't have any luck.  Once I find some time I will try again.

Hello, im not sure if this is a bug or intended but the eastern province heavy infantry and spearman are exactly the same unit,same equipment,stats(the infantry has a bit more AGI )and same upgrade(both upgrade to infantry sergeant)

vmpv25 said:
Hello, im not sure if this is a bug or intended but the eastern province heavy infantry and spearman are exactly the same unit,same equipment,stats(the infantry has a bit more AGI )and same upgrade(both upgrade to infantry sergeant)

Those two units should differ in the type of spear that they use.  The heavy infantry has a heavy spear that is used with shield while the heavy spearman has a hewing spear that is used with two hands.

I have since modified the troop trees so that the tier 4 troops upgrade into their own kind of sergeant, for example, the heavy spearman will upgrade into a spear sergeant with hewing spear while the heavy infantry will upgrade into an infantry sergeant with a one-handed spear.  This change is unfortunately not save-game compatible but I will make it available fairly soon. 

I will be releasing a bugfix patch this weekend that is save-game compatible.  The patch will include the following:

1. Fixed the LODS on all of my Rhodok shields that showed white from a distance.
2. Fixed the LODS on one of Sonyer's sarranid armors.
3. Fixed the shader on a pair of shoes work by Eastern Conscripts.
4. Added the force melee script for some of the veteran spear troops that weren't included. This will force them to spawn with their pole-arm and side-arm. Not all troops of Tier 4 were set to do this do to an oversight on my part. That what happens when you make a last minute change and don't test it thoroughly!
5.  Reduced the speed and maneuverability of the cataphracts.
6.  Added a longer broadsword for the Rhodok upper tier troops.
7.  Added some additional armors for Sarranid upper tier troops.
8.  A fix for the Ashford arena.

Redleg said:
vmpv25 said:

Those two units should differ in the type of spear that they use.  The heavy infantry has a heavy spear that is used with shield while the heavy spearman has a hewing spear that is used with two hands.

I have since modified the troop trees so that the tier 4 troops upgrade into their own kind of sergeant, for example, the heavy spearman will upgrade into a spear sergeant with hewing spear while the heavy infantry will upgrade into an infantry sergeant with a one-handed spear.  This change is unfortunately not save-game compatible but I will make it available fairly soon. 
Also nords upgrade to the same liths leader.
Just a thought... why not give the spearman a bit more points in polearms, seems a bit redundant upgrading to him if the only difference is the spear.

Also nords upgrade to the same liths leader.
Just a thought... why not give the spearman a bit more points in polearms, seems a bit redundant upgrading to him if the only difference is the spear.

I will take it under consideration.  The two tier 4 troops do each have a different function because they have different pole-arms.  The two-handed pole-arm (e.g., the nord halberd) is more of an offensive shock weapon while the one-handed spear is to be used with shield and is more effective against cavalry charges.  With the newest troop trees I am now testing, the nord veteran halberd upgrades to nord halberd leader while the nord veteran lithsman upgrades to nord liths leader.  Similar changes are made for each faction (excepting the Khergiz).

The two different sergeants will also have a different side-arm.  The sergeant having the two-handed pole-arm will use a sword while the sergeant having the regular spear will have an axe or a mace.  This will provide a bit more variety for the player to choose from in their upgrades.

Great mod, I've been playing it and having a blast.

I have some feedback: the Kingdom of Swadia needs a regular (as in not from the Professional troop tree) horse troop. In a battle, the very few horsemen they have tend to die pretty quickly in a blind charge, and after that, the Swadians have to count on their infantry. As it is, Swadia feels like a poor man's Kingdom of Nords. Apart from this, the mod is perfect.

Dokka said:
Great mod, I've been playing it and having a blast.

I have some feedback: the Kingdom of Swadia needs a regular (as in not from the Professional troop tree) horse troop. In a battle, the very few horsemen they have tend to die pretty quickly in a blind charge, and after that, the Swadians have to count on their infantry. As it is, Swadia feels like a poor man's Kingdom of Nords. Apart from this, the mod is perfect.

Thanks for the feedback.  I am right now working on revised and slightly expanded troop trees and one of my ideas was to create a mounted sergeant for the Swadians.  In this work-in-progress versions, the swadian veteran billman upgrades to swadian militia sergeant (with a billhook) while the swadian veteran militiaman will upgrade to swadian "horse sergeant" or some similar name (hobilar?).

The changes I am making now for all the factions (excepting Khergiz) permits both of the tier 4 veteran foot soldiers to upgrade to sergeants with the same weapons- for example, the Nord vet. spearman upgrades to Nord Spear Leader while the Nord vet. halberdman upgrades to Nord Halberd Leader.

I am also thinking of ways to further distinguish the unique troops for each of the factions.  For example, the Nords and Sarranids should have the best throwing weapons troops and both should have a level 25 thrower in addition to a level 25 foot (which all factions currently have).  I will also need to modify the party templates to account for new troops and ratios.

If you have any other ideas for troops, let me know.

Is there any way to get a lead in before the second or third parts of seiging a castle?
Recently scaled walls and took the outer walls. Then moved on to fighting the streets. When the combat session starts you don't even get time to look around and get your bearings before being javelin-ed in the back by two enemy skirmishers behind you.. seems a bit unfair.

Mars_Mullo said:
Is there any way to get a lead in before the second or third parts of seiging a castle?
Recently scaled walls and took the outer walls. Then moved on to fighting the streets. When the combat session starts you don't even get time to look around and get your bearings before being javelin-ed in the back by two enemy skirmishers behind you.. seems a bit unfair.

I didn't write that code so I don't know off-hand.  I would need to find the code and figure out if I can modify it.  I know what you mean by having little time to get ready but hadn't really thought about changing it, as I figured that the defenders should have an advantage in being able to ambush the attackers since the defenders would be more familiar with the layout of the castle or town.

On another note, I will be posting my recent development diary to this post to describe the changes I am making for version 2.1, which I will release by mid-March.

Here is a preview of the faction troop trees for ver. 2.1

mike56 said:
Yeah you should! Your mod is highly polished and enjoyable, and it seems like you plan to keep improving it! Great work!

Thanks for the nice comments.  I have requested a sub-board twice but the moderator has not responded.

I am enjoying your mod and will play it more after I release my next update.  Keep up the good work.

Version 2.1 progress report

1.  I am tweaking the troop trees shown in the last video I posted above.
I am satisfied with the differences across factions and the balance of the troops.  Each test game I start seems to produce a different result.
2.  I have added the foraging skill and entertainment skill to help with food and with party morale respectively.
3.  I have changed the disputed castles at game start so that Swadia doesn't start the game with war with all other factions.  Now each faction has a couple of wars at start. 
4.  I have made it so the king will pay 3000 denars instead of 900 for not granting a castle.
5.  I fixed most of the helmets that cover beards so that beards don't show through.
6.  I added some new armors and improved some of the textures of others.
7.  I improved the siege scene at Ashford so that defenders don't get bottled up as they rush reinforcements to the breach.

I am sure there were some other changes, but I can't find my notes at this time.  I still have a little bit of work to do but version 2.1 is getting very close to completion.  If anyone is interested in creating some simple Khergiz fortresses for the mod, I would much appreciate it.  Right now I am using some OSP stone castles, which are nice, but are too European looking.  What I would like for the Khergiz are hillforts with wooden palisades and steppe huts inside.  Anyway, I will post more updates to this thread as more progress is made.

Just want to say, fantastic mod. Really enjoying it so far, it's pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. Mid-late 11th century warfare has always really interested me.

I have a question about the new commoner-tier cavalry troops, specifically for the Swadians. Will they be more of a skirmisher-style cavalry with javelins? Or will they be more like the existing heavy cav? I think that's the one thing the current version Swadians are missing, a cheaper light cav that can run around throwing javelins.

wicksell said:
Just want to say, fantastic mod. Really enjoying it so far, it's pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. Mid-late 11th century warfare has always really interested me.

I have a question about the new commoner-tier cavalry troops, specifically for the Swadians. Will they be more of a skirmisher-style cavalry with javelins? Or will they be more like the existing heavy cav? I think that's the one thing the current version Swadians are missing, a cheaper light cav that can run around throwing javelins.

I am glad you like the mod.  For ver. 2.1 Work in progress I have added a medium cavalry "Swadian Mounted Sergeant."  He doesn't have throwing weapons but does have a nice morningstar and sword.  He isn't that cheap as he is level 25.  I really like the idea of a lightly armored horseman (like the lower tier manhunters) but I don't know if I will create one for the Swadians.  I will think on it.

One of the design objectives for the mod was to somewhat reduce the amount of mounted troops to represent an earlier, more infantry-centered approach.  I am trying to get the right balance for each faction.  The Eastern Province and Sarranids both have commoner mounted skirmishers in v.2.1.   

Redleg said:
wicksell said:

I am glad you like the mod.  For ver. 2.1 Work in progress I have added a medium cavalry "Swadian Mounted Sergeant."  He doesn't have throwing weapons but does have a nice morningstar and sword.  He isn't that cheap as he is level 25.  I really like the idea of a lightly armored horseman (like the lower tier manhunters) but I don't know if I will create one for the Swadians.  I will think on it.

One of the design objectives for the mod was to somewhat reduce the amount of mounted troops to represent an earlier, more infantry-centered approach.  I am trying to get the right balance for each faction.  The Eastern Province and Sarranids both have commoner mounted skirmishers in v.2.1. 

Oh, that's great news. I asked about the Swadians specifically because I like to rp as a Norman and they fit the best, but that's my own weird little thing that doesn't actually matter. Any sort of commoner skirmish cav would be very welcome.

Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom