(S) Calradia 1050 A.D.: Mercenary Uprising mod (Old Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much will the vageir playstyle be changed , if I recall correctly in native those god damn guards could be a pain in the ass even for the Nords . (Gotta love them Bardiches yo)

Sal_TheConqueror said:
How much will the vageir playstyle be changed , if I recall correctly in native those god damn guards could be a pain in the ass even for the Nords . (Gotta love them Bardiches yo)

The tier 4 and tier 5 Vaegir infantry have long bardiches and the top-tier (tier 6) uses 2-handed bardiche.  All 3 of these troops also have 1-handed weapon and shield.  The infantry is pretty tough, as it is for the other factions since I  made the cavalry less prevalent (but still good).  As you know, some of the skills and proficiencies are randomized at the start of a game, so different games may yield different results in terms of the relative power of each faction and each unit.  I think the Nord and Rhodok infantry is still the toughest in the game, but the other factions will give them a good fight.

Mod update:
I am in the process of adding the 8th faction, which will be called the Khergiz Horde.  The Khergiz Horde is the predecessor of the Khergits in the vanilla WB.  They will be located to the far east of the map in the steppes beyond the normal map.  The kingdom that holds the Khergit lands from vanilla WB is now called the Eastern Province and as I mentioned in a previous post, they are a Byzantine-Khergit hybrid, with a more Byzantine flavor for their infantry and cavalry and more Khergit flavor for their skirmishers, archers, and mounted skirmisher.  The Eastern Province is what remains of the old Empire and they have been hiring Khergiz tribesman as mercenaries to serve as skirmishers and archers.  Little do they know that they have opened the door to Khergiz incursions into their land.  The Khergiz horde are modeled on the original Khergits, with many new armors and weapons, and have an infantry line added to their mainly mounted force.

Down south of Shariz,  along the coast where there are plains, another group of former imperial mercenaries is starting to grow restless.  These Keltons had served the Calradian Empire in its violent final years.  After the western part of the empire fell, they sought refuge in the south, and had to build fortifications to defend against the Sarranids, who were arriving in great numbers.  The Kelton Tribe is a Briton-Saxon hybrid troop with gear appropriate for the time and with solid infantry and excellent skirmishers and archers, including a tier 6 mounted skirmisher. 

Both of these factions are half-factions- they each have a king and 10 lords and 10 ladies.  Part of the reason I did this is that there is limited land for them to occupy and I didn't want to have to add umpteen different towns, castles, and villages.  As it is, each of the smaller factions has 1 town, 4 castles, and 8 villages.  Once I have completed this phase I will test the gameplay and balance to make sure the smaller factions can have a decent chance to survive.  Since they are on the edges of the map, they won't likely be gang-rolled the way Swadia is often done by the other factions. 

Since both of these new factions had served as mercenaries, I thought about calling the mod something like Calradia 1050 A.D.: the Rise of the Mercenaries or some such nonsense.

I have made a few small changes to the other troops since I posted the last screenshots.  The biggest change was to give the top Sarranid skirmishers camels to ride.  Now the Sarranids have cavalry and mounted skirmishers.  I have also added a few more armors and weapons from some recently released OSPs and have made a few armors for the Keltons.  Anyway, things are progressing well and I still expect to release a stable and error-free version this September.  I am a one-man team and I really want to get this finished so I can do some other things.

Antonis said:
Redleg said:
Patience, Grasshopper

No, nonononono. It's Greenstalker, not Grasshopper!

:iamamoron:

LOL.  I have a question for you- have you ever done anything with the script "intialize_aristocracy?"  I have have a heck of a time getting the two new factions so that they are related to anyone in the old factions.  I thought I had it figured out after adding the first faction, but now that I have added the second, I am seeing cross faction family relations.

Ah, yes, the lord relations. It's one of the most baffling and most tedious tasks when adding a faction. If you'd asked me some time ago, I'd say it's a trial and error thing. Fortunately for us, Jacobhinds took time and effort to write a complete guide on adding factions: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,334271.msg7920033.html#msg7920033

This is the bit you are interested in:

Code:
   (else_try),
         (is_between, ":cur_troop", "trp_knight_6_1", "trp_kingdom_1_pretender"),
         (store_sub, ":npc_seed", ":cur_troop", "trp_knight_6_1"),
         (assign, ":ancestor_seed", 31),

Specifically, the trp_knight_6_1 and trp_kingdom_1_pretender. That means Knight X(your lord) is the ____(father, brother, son, whatever) of Lord X. It's a tedious copy paste and you'd have to remember who's who, because if you mix the lords or forget to change trhe ancestor seed or the faction number, a bit of goofy things happen. Good luck and patience.

I followed Jacobhinds guide and it works for the regular number of lords and ladies (20 each for each faction) but I could not get it to work for just 10 lords and 10 ladies in a faction.  I changed the ancestor seed values and even tried to set the new lords and ladies ages and relations but to no avail. 

Because of this, I decided to make both new factions have the usual number of lords and ladies.  It works so I will stick with that for now.

Oh, right. I did the same for my big project, I had some small factions so I went for 10 lords each. Yeah, it doesn't work, or at least, I don't know how it would work. I also went for the usual 20.

Antonis said:
Oh, right. I did the same for my big project, I had some small factions so I went for 10 lords each. Yeah, it doesn't work, or at least, I don't know how it would work. I also went for the usual 20.

I finally got initialize aristocracy to work with just 10 lords and ladies in each of the 2 new factions.  I had the right code, just in the wrong place.  Plus I had to comment out some of my new code.

GreenStalker said:
Just a quick question. Will you continue Working on the mod after you release it or wll you stop updating it?

Good question.  For the first 2-3 months after I release the mod, my focus will be on releasing any necessary patches  to deal with bugs reported at this topic and making small tweaks that won't break save-games.  Because I have been very careful and systematic in building this mod, I don't anticipate any code-related problems for the game scripts.  I have tested each version thoroughly for errors and gameplay.  I am not currently getting any in-game error messages or showing any in the rgl_log.txt file so I don't anticipate any serious bugs. 

When released this month, this mod will be stable, error-free as far as I can determine, and polished in terms of what I have added.  I don't believe that players will see the mod as unfinished or buggy.  Players should be able to enjoy many hours of play without encountering any new bugs, major or minor.

After the first 2-3 months, I will probably decide what new stuff to add.  I am considering making some new scenes and new quests and add them to version 2.

Some Play-Testing Commentary
I have been play-testing the 8 faction mod and everything is working without problems.  I might need to tone down the new Khergiz faction a bit though because they just spilled out of the eastern steppes and took Ichamur and Tulga and several castles from the Eastern Province within the first 4 months or so.  It was pretty cool how their invasion follows the Warband lore. 

The Keltons seem to be holding their own but they haven't taken as much land as the Khergiz.  Swadia seems to be better off than usual, perhaps because there are 2 other factions to get the attention of Swadia's usual enemies (which at game start is just about everyone).

Some recently added features
Besides adding the two factions, I also extended my castle recruitment system to towns.  Now the player can recruit tier 5 faction troops from towns while still recruiting mercenaries from towns.  The tier 5 recruit pool is set by simple trigger to refresh every 30 days.  I also added more OSP armors, including a few of my own, to further equip each of the factions.  I wanted to make sure that they are each distinct and have time-period appropriate armors.  I have taken out several armors that I loved the look of but didn't fit the setting.  Weapons are a bit harder to deal with as I wanted the factions to be somewhat distinctive in terms of their weapons.  There are some anachronisms in weapons but for the most part they reflect the types of weapons used in the 11th Century.  Anyway, this is Calradia, not Western Europe!

Stay tuned for some more updates.  I am probably going to add some form of custom kingdom troops to the mod since many people have suggested it.  The only downside is that the best armors and clothing have already gone to the 8 factions so I will have to figure out what to equip the custom troops with. 

Redleg said:
Some Play-Testing Commentary
I have been play-testing the 8 faction mod and everything is working without problems.  I might need to tone down the new Khergiz faction a bit though because they just spilled out of the eastern steppes and took Ichamur and Tulga and several castles from the Eastern Province within the first 4 months or so.  It was pretty cool how their invasion follows the Warband lore. 

The Keltons seem to be holding their own but they haven't taken as much land as the Khergiz.  Swadia seems to be better off than usual, perhaps because there are 2 other factions to get the attention of Swadia's usual enemies (which at game start is just about everyone).

Some recently added features
Besides adding the two factions, I also extended my castle recruitment system to towns.  Now the player can recruit tier 5 faction troops from towns while still recruiting mercenaries from towns.  The tier 5 recruit pool is set by simple trigger to refresh every 30 days.  I also added more OSP armors, including a few of my own, to further equip each of the factions.  I wanted to make sure that they are each distinct and have time-period appropriate armors.  I have taken out several armors that I loved the look of but didn't fit the setting.  Weapons are a bit harder to deal with as I wanted the factions to be somewhat distinctive in terms of their weapons.  There are some anachronisms in weapons but for the most part they reflect the types of weapons used in the 11th Century.  Anyway, this is Calradia, not Western Europe!

Stay tuned for some more updates.  I am probably going to add some form of custom kingdom troops to the mod since many people have suggested it.  The only downside is that the best armors and clothing have already gone to the 8 factions so I will have to figure out what to equip the custom troops with.

First of all,congratulations to the progress of your mod looks really promising,about the armors for the custom troops you could use some of Pino OSP if you are not using it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom