(S) Calradia 1050 A.D.: Mercenary Uprising mod (Old Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redleg said:
GreenStalker said:
Have you considered adding new companions and auto loot :3?

I have already added 4 new higher level companions.  The version of Diplomacy I am using allows for the player to determine what arms the companions can have as well as allowing them to automatically choose from the loot pool.  Is this what you mean?

Yeah.. But od love to see at least 10 new companions in this mod. It would be great.

Me too but I probably won't add any more companions at this point.  Doing the dialogs and other companion-related stuff can be very tedious. 

As far as recent progress goes, I have added a 7th faction that is at half-strength compared to other factions (1 king and 10 lords).  I modded the map a bit to allow me the space to give them a town, 4 castles and 8 villages.  The town and castles are OSP add-ons. 

The faction is equipped as a relatively tough Briton/Saxon hybrid with excellent skirmishers and bowmen and solid infantry.  Their main strength is relatively high athletics.  Since they are in the plains along the far southern shore (south and west of Shariz), they aren't as likely to get gang-stomped by the other factions.  So far they have captured 2 Rhodok castles and have lost no land themselves.  Of course my character is helping them out. 

I am thinking about adding an additional small faction somewhere up north-east in the snowy lands where there is some space.  To be honest, adding the troops, towns, etc. is relatively easy compared to the hassle of getting the new banners and map icons stuff to work properly.  The module system is somewhat Byzantine in how it manages the new banners.  Anyway.  I am making good progress and the "permanent camp" OSP kit seems to be working as intended.

Nice! If you end up adding one more faction, I would suggest a faction in the east of the steppes or desert. We already have lots of 'western' type factions, some eastern ones would be cool. And yeah, banners and drawing the lords' relations is tedious as hell and tiresome, I feel you, man.  :smile:

Antonis said:
Nice! If you end up adding one more faction, I would suggest a faction in the east of the steppes or desert. We already have lots of 'western' type factions, some eastern ones would be cool. And yeah, banners and drawing the lords' relations is tedious as hell and tiresome, I feel you, man.  :smile:

That might be good to do.  I already made the Khergits into a more Byzantine-like force- perhaps I could have a smaller more Khergit-ish faction to the east.  I had thought about calling the current Khergit area the "Eastern Province" or "Eastern Empire" or something like that and then having a half-faction of Khergit invaders, wearing tribal outfits and using some lamellar armors.  Hmmm.  It might work out.  I already have the resources and textures for that.

Yeah, the banner thing is killer.  I think I got the relations part okay and worked out the initialize aristocracy part.

GreenStalker said:
You should use Silverstag map. Its very extended you could at least add 4-5 factions to it but i dont think thazlt will happen

I'll have to take a look at Silverstag map.  I have already modded the native map to allow access to some of the previously forbidden areas.  I doubt I will add more than 1 more faction for a total of 8 factions.  Doing the banners was a big enough pain in the rear.

I agree, 8 factions tops would be good. Calradia with a ton of factions, eh, I don't know. The greatest advantage of the mod(for me, at least) is that it keeps the game's lore and expands but not twists it. I don't know if I want to see suddenly 10-15 factions lying around in Calradia. Of course, Redleg has the say on all those, but yeah, my opinion is that if you continue in the current direction, the mod will be a great success.  :smile:

Well. I guess i have to agree with you. I mean i would love to see lots of factions in Warband. Like maybe you can create them but not give them city's. Just make one king with 500 soliders party who roams around map and whatever castle/city he takes he get's a faction. Maybe you can make Looters/Sea Riders/Mountain,Forest,Steepe,Desert bandits as factions which player can join.

Here's a look at the new faction, the Kelton Tribe.  It is a hybrid Briton/Saxon tribe made a bit more current to fit with the times.  I also made some small armor and arms changes to the other factions.

TEyQy.jpg

Redleg said:
Here's a look at the new faction, the Kelton Tribe.  It is a hybrid Briton/Saxon tribe made a bit more current to fit with the times.  I also made some small armor and arms changes to the other factions.

TEyQy.jpg

The skirmrish line looks awesome

Antonis said:
Very nice! I wonder how they'll fare against Rhodoks.  :smile:

The Rhodoks are fairly tough.  They have better armor than in native plus those big board shields.  The Rhodok sergeants and retainers are hard to kill and carry damaging weapons.  Every time I battle these brutes they surprise me with their skills.  The timing has to be just right to score a hit around those big board shields.  Many of the Rhodok troops also have hammers, which can keep the player off-balance when he's fighting them.

So far, the Keltons, aided by my character, have done fairly well.  I am playing on normal AI and the Keltons have taken two Rhodok castles while not having lost any of their own fiefs.  They are barely hanging on to those castles, but they are performing well for a small faction.

Great! Now that you mentioned it, though, those board shields that the Rhodoks carry, as they are in the Native module, they are the real-life pavise shields. Which were introduced way later than 1050. Of course, rectangular shields existed for centuries(and even thousands of years, even in the Bronze age the used them. But not the pavise type, that particular design. That came later. Soooo, that might look out of date.

Now, those are only suggestions, but you can try something like that: Go for a kite or tear-drop shield. They were used in the 11th century and some were quite big, almost the size of a pavise. Or you can go for the good ol' round-shield, they were less widely use during that time, but still had a lot of fans. Now, I do believe that the Islamic sultanate armies used some type of 'board' shield, although I can be mistaken. But yeah, pavises shields were introduced and used later on.  :smile:

Yeah, I had thought about that.  It's likely that some of the top-tier equipment for all factions is more modern than what existed in 1050 A.D.  I had thought about using a Roman style rectangular shield for the Rhodoks.  I have some of the Rhodok troops already equipped with a gladius, which lends itself to such a large shield.

Although the top-tier troops may be too-well equipped for 1050 A.D., the equipment is still less advanced than in Calradia of 1257 A.D.  Cloth armor and spears and used for many of the troops at the lower end.  The problem I have with reducing the armor at the top level is that I hate to see some of those nice OSP armors I am using getting removed.  Call me sentimental!  Anyway, thanks for the comments.  They are always helpful!

Thanks, I am glad you find them helpful. The rectangular shield like a scutum sounds like a very good idea. If you are worried because the OSPs have them as distinctly Roman(at least Mount and Gladius I which is OSP does), don't. You can always re-texture them to something like wooden planks with the boss in the centre, or even something like that:
Steppe_rectangular_shield_01_screen_01.jpg

It's a quick and easy texturing job, especially if the base texture is provided, like from an OSP. I mean, since Rhodoks already use a gladius in the mod, a big scutum would really compliment them. But yeah, it's up to you, we can only offer ideas(wild maybe  :smile:) and suggestions.

i agree with Antonis, because i am antoni,  :grin: :grin:,
no, rectangular shield will realy fit to them..

Slavos said:
Hey man,are you going to add a new recruitment system like A.D 1257(lance recruitment) or Blue Blood(Raise the levy recruitment system)?

I have added recruitment of tier 5 infantry from castles.  You can do this every 30 days.  I don't have any other plans for a whole new recruiting system because this is a one-person modding team and I want to complete this work soon.

Some new armor I am working on.  I am making 3 different armors for the Kelton top troops.  Their armors are mainly scale-based.

mb18.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom