Russian expansion mini-mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Right when I thought your mods couldn't get any better you add another amazing unit! I love your focus on the Russian faction, its my personal favorite! Keep up the great work my man.

A. Protokletos said:
Did the Don Cossacks wear a forelock? Also, what did Cossack officers wear?

They grew their hair out evenly. Early in 1809, officers in the Don Host began wearing braids of silver cord on their shoulders and it's possible the Black Sea Host began to imitate this even before they adopted their standardized uniforms, but I've never seen evidence of it. Instead you could expect finer clothes, horses and weapons to differentiate the officers from the common troopers. If I gave the kobeynik to the enlisted men, I would make the kontusz-zupan combo exclusive to the officers.

Here's a micro-update. I decided to create a fusilier cap for the Pavlovsk Grenadiers, because it seemed simple enough. The "veteran grenadier" now upgrades into two varieties of troop representing the Pavlovsk Grenadier Regiment: a fusilier and a grenadier. Their stats have been tweaked so that they better fit between the guardsmen and generic grenadiers in terms of melee, and between the musketeers and Jaegers in terms of marksmanship. The difference between the two Pavlovsk troops themselves is simply that their stats are the inverse of one another, with the fusilier being a slightly better shot, and the grenadier being slightly better with his bayonet. Visually, the two are distinguished by their headgear. The fusilier's cap was a slightly more expensive mitre that featured a separated front plate without any tassel and a cloth bag, which was reinforced by four brass straps and surmounted by a decorative button and spike (or a stylized flame, to resemble a lit hand grenade). If you're familiar with the 18th century fusiliers of the German states, it should look familiar. The fusilier's cap as an item gives slightly more protection to the head to reflect its brass frame, but the difference is almost impossible to notice. The plate created by Docm30 has two mistakes: the eagle should be grasping a sceptre and not a sword, and its chest should bear the coat of arms of Moscow, rather than the Emperor's monogram - I haven't bothered to change either of these.

Russkiy Rekrut --> Russkiy Mushketër --> Russkiy Veteranskiy Mushketër --> Russkiy Gvardeyskiy Preobrazhenets
                          --> Russkiy Grenadër --> Russkiy Veteranskiy Grenadër --> Russkiy Pavlovskiy Fuzilër
                                                                                                                        --> Russkiy Pavlovskiy Grenadër

It is often remembered that the Pavlovsk Grenadiers were granted permission to retain their mitres by the Emperor himself after their courage and tactical success at Friedland, but it is seldom explained that several regiments were still wearing theirs before the Peace of Tilsit, due to the decision to replace them with shakos coming in late February 1805, only six months before the Army went on the march to assist the Austrians in Bavaria in the War of the Third Coalition. The disaster at Austerlitz was shortly followed by the Prussian campaigns of 1806 and 1807, resulting in up to a three year lag in equipment replacements for some regiments like the Moscow Grenadiers and Vladimir, Narva and Old-Ingermanland Musketeers. What is also seldom noted is that the retention of mitres awarded to the Pavlovsk Regiment was for all twelve companies and that the majority of the regiment were not the iconic grenadiers you imagine. From 1802 to 1811, Russian regiments were divided into a heavy battalion and two regular battalions; for grenadier regiments this means one grenadier battalion and two fusilier battalions, distinguished by a different design of mitres (or by the grenade-plates on the shakos that replaced them). Strangely though, the fusilier cap ended up being more expensive to produce than the grenadiers' cap despite being allocated for a larger number of men and for men supposedly less elite or prestigious, owing to all the brass ornaments. Now you the player have both, so you can build a full line and keep your grenadiers on the right flank in the place of honour without mixing and matching regiments.

33307C054E641989E6968537CE995828D67979C0

5FB567EFB7016E4969414942E2352A7C398E4F23

84F90E7A0344C9EDE7447AA78039EE0EA4BA1730
9xqDYhj.jpg
planchet096_1.jpg
planchet096_2.jpg
Gz8LLn0.jpg

Download (Version 4 - Militia, Cuirassiers, Cossacks and Pavlovsk Fusiliers):
https://www.mediafire.com/?mfx50lj17tcav24

11.4 MB. This includes all the previous versions, compatibility for my scabbard fix and the cossack hair. Installation is the same as usual, and instructions are reiterated in a README.

"Although the Jägers are required to produce a rapid volume of fire like the [regular] infantry, it is more expected that their shots be true and consequently the latter should be emphasized." - Mikhail Kutuzov in his instructions to the Bug Jäger Corps, 1786.

I've made a model and texture from scratch, recreating the 1798 model Stutzer or rifled carbine, which was at first given to all privates and NCOs of the Jäger Regiments during the Reign of Paul I, but in 1802 they were scaled back to only NCOs and 12 selected marksmen per company. In 1808, the Tula Arms Factory was instructed to stop manufacturing new rifles to keep in storage for replacement and equipment of new regiments, so the later generations of Jägers (the 33rd to the 56th Regiments) had incomplete or non-existent complements of rifles, but L'Aigle is set in 1809 and depicts (presently) the 4th Regiment, so I think we can justify their presence. The Sestroretsk Factory however, also producing these rifles, was not issued such an order as far as I know.

It had an 8-channeled barrel between 15.5 and 16.3 mm in calibre and with a length of 655 to 660 mm. Overall length: 1,010 to 1,015 mm. Weight: 3.8 to 4.1 kg. Brass buttplate and counterplate, nose cap, front sight, rammer tubes and trigger guard. Iron barrel, lock, rear sight, rammer and sling swivel. I've given it the same stats as the Baker Rifle just to keep it simple. I did not model the sword-bayonet (yet?) so you'll have to use it in conjunction with a real sword.

Both the regular Jägers and Courland Jägers of my militia minimod now converge into the terminal Jäger Marksman, who is slighter more accurate than France's skirmishers but worse than Britain's chosen men or the Jagdschützen of Austria. Honestly they all feel about equal.
                                                      Yeger -->                          Veteranskiy Yeger -->
Lëgkopekhotnyy Rekrut <                                                                                                                                        >  Russkiy Yeger-Strelok
                                          Zemskogo Voyska Ratnik  --> Zemskogo Voyska Strelok --> Kurlyandskiy Yeger

4014266238DE9EB8303D8CDE916C80CF06876A24

1907F109C80EF1223981767A635B703407D777F1

678A7C10A0B8461D61BEC61EEA5E0957BAB08BC6

3FA4CCCBD769685E6B430FF6F20224B9A71A4E68

9F2CD65814CB9D1A1F7EBAA0D9007C27A09F0FA6

References; I used both a "1798 model" (stamped 1797, the year the design actually first went into production) and an 1806, seemingly of the "1805 model", which was nearly identical. Both Tula-made.
Tn2raJp.jpg

cVtlcaZ.jpg

xOmyy6C.jpg

H5KIzKx.jpg

CC1FfTR.jpg

Yu5sAOi.jpg
hYMKgzu.jpg

i6xrz4L.jpg

bKUxQBJ.jpg

4yazCPn.jpg

1lyqRQd.jpg
The model has 1916 tri's (more than the An IX but less than the Baker Rifle) and vertex animations for the hammer and frizzen. It's a little rough and the normal map is crap, but she's my baby.

Download (Version 5 - Militia, Cuirassiers, Cossacks, Pavlovsk Fusiliers and Jäger Riflemen):
https://www.mediafire.com/?1gdc00kz904p0gs

12.7 MB. This includes all the previous versions, compatibility for the scabbard fix and the cossack hair. Installation is the same as usual, and instructions are reiterated in a README.

You should add to this mod the missing horses to the current units so that each troop of cavalry has its horse with its historical color. So it helps a little mod modder, since you are good modeling.

I discovered you can add new banners to the game and make them animate like the others, as long as you reuse the same meshes and apply the special shader to the mesh's material.

So I decided to give the Smolensk dragoons their proper square colours from 1798 in orange and violet with gold fringe instead of the generic green 1803 standard they were using. The Glukhov Cuirassiers have also had their standards recoloured to their coffee and orange ones, with Paul I's monogram in the corners and a silver fringe. They wouldn't receive green standards until 1814. They're arguably much more ugly now, but I think the dragoon standard came out pretty well. I gave the floral pattern specularity so it really pops in certain lighting conditions.

From there I decided to give all the Russian colour-bearers in the mod more appropriate uniforms. Regular army and Guard infantry sub-ensigns now have NCO pompons and golden metal tape (galloon) along their collars and sleeve cuffs, and have their cartridge bags removed. The Guardsmen NCOs in particular have different cords on their shako and a white and orange tip on their plumes. The cuirassier and dragoon junkers have likewise NCO coats but with an extra strip of galloon along the shoulder strap (this doesn't show up so well for the Smolensk Dragoons, since you have yellow metal over yellow facings). The dragoons' coattails are also red now, as they should have been. A new horse is made for the dragoons as well, with a green rounded saddlecloth trimmed in yellow.

For the cossacks I had a choice. Most regiments didn't carry colours at all and had no formal position like the junkers of the regular army (that is to say, a nobleman serving in the ranks for a period of time to gain practical experience) who typically served as colour-bearers, and the trooptype's name was made "khorunzhiy", an officer's rank equal to ensign or cornet and traditionally associated with carrying a banner (a khorugv') centuries before L'Aigle's timeframe. Rather than make a boring old NCO coat, I went and created an officer's coat for the standard-bearer and/or the player to wear. It is distinguished from the ranker's by the embroidered button loop of the Don Host on the collar and sleeve cuffs, twisted silver cords on the shoulders (which I lazily stole from the Prussian generals' coat), an officer's sash around his waist, and silver decorations on the shoulder belt: the Emperor's monogram and a classical heap of trophies to house two pickers on chains.

Other minor tweaks in this version are that I've updated the Jaegers' and Hussars' shako cockades to match the nicer one I made for the militia; the infantry greatcoats' shoulder straps now match the summer jackets, and the archaic queues and sidelocks have been removed from the cavalry troopers.

EuLfMxc.jpg

RUwZ3Ar.jpg

tuWCFXg.jpg
SZiT0V0.jpg

FMjeSWz.jpg
OgeowuH.jpg

br2PBU9.jpg
TRNrTDj.jpg

MVHyULg.jpg

dMZrQ6R.jpg
bET6cPj.jpg

aIrUxsb.jpg

Download (Version 6 - Militia, Cuirassiers, Black-Sea Cossacks, Pavlovsk Fusiliers, Jäger Riflemen, Colour-Bearers):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/6ycfthedu9k2pa2/Bluehawk_Russian_minimod_6.rar
16 MB. This includes the content of all the previous versions and compatibility for the scabbard fix. Installation is the same as usual, and instructions are reiterated in a README.

Back
Top Bottom