Running down enemies on world map

Users who are viewing this thread

In real world famous historical battles be it Napolean, Rome, Hannibal, Greece etc large armies were in the thousands if not hundreds of thousands.
But that's not the case in Calradia. If it was 20 000 troops, then yeah, I'd find it credible they have supply trains. And camp followers.
But they don't have 20k troops. So excuse me not imagining that my 200 men is 20k men.
And there's also no supply trains here.

But that's not the case in Calradia. If it was 20 000 troops, then yeah, I'd find it credible they have supply trains. And camp followers.
But they don't have 20k troops. So excuse me not imagining that my 200 men is 20k men.
And there's also no supply trains here.

Yes and I wasnt being literal. The overall idea that Large Armies are slower than smaller forces.

Yeah but why should NPC lords waste their time and money chasing a few peasants with big parties? That's pretty stupid thing to do. What if them NPC lords behaved a bit more like... real world?
TW obviously decided not to code it so that AI Lords behaved realistically. If it was a design decision or more likely simply not worth the effort for something most people playing would not notice until they have completed some campaigns...

Making smaller parties have to survive a skill check by larger parties would be worse than the current situation.

As it stands, you can run a small party and outrun or dodge into towns against enemies. If you run a mid-size party 30-80 there are enough perks you will generally be able to catch most of the smaller AI parties but caravans and some parties will simply outpace you.

If you run large parties or armies, you will barely be able to catch anything at all. It is already an problem where you have an army of 1000 when an enemy army of 2000 approaches that has 2-3 smaller armies around it that initiate the battle and the larger army catches up. Not sure if the Ai does this via code or just happenstance when the larger army gets into reinforcement range (if you abandoned a siege or completed a battle with less room to run than guessed or something.

Having an ambush ability which require high tactics, leadership, and roguery might be handy so larger parties could catch smaller parties but making such a mechanic universal would cause much more rage than how it works currently.

This is another reason why the old loose cluster marshal armies from Warband were so much better than these Bannerlord armies. The warband armies actually could chase after small parties, but that's because it wasn't the entire army but a couple small, fast lord parties that could break away from the pack to chase down passing enemies. The loose armies did a much better job of replicating how a big armies would actually march, which in medieval times could be more like herding cats than leading a crack force of disciplined professionals. It made those big armies much more dangerous because if you got too close, some weak junior lord with 30 troops could rush out from the crowd and actually catch you. Warband let you get into towns under siege with no penalty, but to do so you had to get past 20 separate parties camped outside. But you also had a lot more tactical options when facing those marshal stacks since there were ways to break them up and isolate stragglers. Bannerlord armies are all or nothing. Attack them head-on or lurk behind waiting for the army to dissolve.

Leading those loose armies was also more interesting. You couldn't just bring 800 guys against 2000 enemies without most of them noping right on out of there, so keeping everybody together was half the game.

This is another reason why the old loose cluster marshal armies from Warband were so much better than these Bannerlord armies. The warband armies actually could chase after small parties, but that's because it wasn't the entire army but a couple small, fast lord parties that could break away from the pack to chase down passing enemies. The loose armies did a much better job of replicating how a big armies would actually march, which in medieval times could be more like herding cats than leading a crack force of disciplined professionals. It made those big armies much more dangerous because if you got too close, some weak junior lord with 30 troops could rush out from the crowd and actually catch you. Warband let you get into towns under siege with no penalty, but to do so you had to get past 20 separate parties camped outside. But you also had a lot more tactical options when facing those marshal stacks since there were ways to break them up and isolate stragglers. Bannerlord armies are all or nothing. Attack them head-on or lurk behind waiting for the army to dissolve.

Leading those loose armies was also more interesting. You couldn't just bring 800 guys against 2000 enemies without most of them noping right on out of there, so keeping everybody together was half the game.

Actually forgot thats how it was done in Warband -a much better solution that was than the current one is.

Back
Top Bottom