RUN!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Personally I believe if there is a sprint function that takes away energy, then all attacks should take away energy aswell.

Combat right now, consists of a bunch of people in full armour, swinging their bamboo spears and 2h swords/axes like it's a Dragonball Z fight.

And that's only IF you can get past all the throwing axes, javelins, darts, arrows and bolts being hurled your way by nearly their whole team.

The heavier a weapon is, I think the more energy is used to attack or even feign. It would change the combat mechanics of the entire game and once and for all eliminate the non skills spam garbage that occurs. It'll also get rid of those macro using morons.

I also think that stamina should effect archery aswell. Archery and using xBows is very easy, you stand back, aim, wait for the reticule to become narrow, then shoot. It's a very easy and accurate process.
I believe that every time an archer strings his bow, his stamina should very slowly go down, enough so that archers cannot shoot arrows like a machine gun. Players may be able to get 10 arrows out in succession before they need to take a bit of a break to recover their stamina. Xbows should be the same, as I cannot imagine holding an Xbow up for a large amount of time would be easy to do.
As the stamina for a ranged user goes down, so does their accuracy, so they may be able to string 10 arrows in succession, but each will be less accurate.

The stamina should also affect shield users. Holding a shield up should slowly reduce stamina (but VEEERRY slowly), and with each blow taken to the shield, a chunk of that stamina is removed. Eventually if the shield doesn't break, the player would get staggered and left open to attack.

If you land a hit, you should regain your stamina that was lost doing the swing... otherwise players just won't want to attack.

If you parry an attack, you should not lose stamina. This would encourage players to try and parry attacks more often during combat instead of simply relying on a shield to turtle behind.

This may all sound annoying, but there would be mechanics in place to encourage proper fighting. It wouldn't just be a matter of who runs out of stamina first, but who manages their stamina properly and who is the better fighter.

One last note. If a player manages to kick another player (because it's hard now to do so), the player who got kicked should lose alot of stamina as it would wind them if they got kicked in the gut or groin. The kick function would only require a small amount of stamina (although kicking in reality is something that requires a good level of stamina).
This would encourage players to use more tactics in their melee combat to try and win.

Ultimately instead of the winner in combat being decided by who can exploit the combat animation system the most, the winner would be decided by who uses actual tact and skill.
While not being as annoyed by ranged weapons as ranged fighters will also need to work their way around their stamina.

There are many more variables to consider, but I think stamina would completely change the way mount and blade would be played in a GOOD way.

As for being able to sprint, I think it's a great idea, however sprinting would get very annoying in small groups of combat as you would see players randomly doing small quick bursts of movement all over the place.
However if done correctly it would be ok.

If the player sprints at an enemy from about 5-20m away and runs into that enemy, then that enemy and the player should fall over.
If the player sprints at an enemy that is only 2-5 metres away, it should be counted as some sort of a "RAM" or "Barge" attack, therefore the enemy would get staggered or if stamina is low enough, the enemy would fall over.
If the player tries to sprint at an enemy that is less than 2m away, then the player should fall over, stagger past, or bounce back from the enemy.
If the player sprints and jumps at the enemy, then it should be a guarunteed knock down, even in the 5-20m range, however the player would need to time the jump correctly otherwise it'll be a sprint for nothing that would leave the player open.
One more thing though would be that anyone who sprints would have a SUPER slow turning speed, so that they couldn't just sprint and suddenly do a 180 degree turn without losing momentum.

If the system were to be made more complex. There would be other determining factors such as:
"Is the enemy facing the player while the player sprints at him?"
"Is the enemy moving away from the player or at the player when the player sprints?"
"Is the enemy standing still?"
"Is the enemy jumping?"
"Is the enemy trying to kick the player as the player gets within range?"
"Is the enemy on a horse?" (A jumping sprinting player might be able to knock an enemy off his horse by sprinting and jumping at him)

Anyway...i'll leave it at that, I think i've dreamed enough :razz:

Im guessing that there isn't a sprint button because they carry so much armor so they can't sprint, but the higher the athletics skill the faster you go

[P]aradox said:
DaLagga said:
Well, let me be the first to disagree.  While i do support the idea of a stamina bar, i don't like the idea of sprinting.  Just imagine of those dozen river pirates used that feature to surround you in a couple of seconds?

But the stamina bar should affect everything you do, whether it's running or attacking. Basically you could have it so that if you sprint somewhere, you're too tired to attack until the bar fills up some more. If you want to get more complex you could have it so that if you constantly swing your sword or fire your bow, the bar also drains until you rest. Maybe just have your swings go slower and do less damage over time.

If a dozen river pirates sprint to get to you and you wait, you'll be able to slaughter them with ease.

An implementation like that would seem a bit cliche, don't you think? It'd be just like ES: Oblivion, where you could only attack so much.

Native is a fairly heroic game, where you, the player, can manage to charge an enemy army with your knights, and not come out of it bleeding to death from crossbow bolt wounds (Crossbow bolts could pierce the heaviest plate armor).

hey, I've made something similar, I've done a sprint buttom (default is left alt) wich would increase player agi for a while. it consumes staminna wich is renewed each battle.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,175315.0.html

Maybe thats rather sci-fi for I don't think the WB-engine will make it:

-sprint = double speed (normal running speed-carryweight-affection would have to be rebalanced)

-sprinting costs stamina depending on carryweight

-stamina affects the attack speed (full=1 empty=0.7 or similar, you can't attack as fast when out of breath)

-infantry charge: sprinting into an enemy would cause blunt damage depending on strength and/or athletics + bonus for heavy shields and has a knockback-chance
-->at charge-order, melee-infantry(not spear-/pikemen) will automatically sprint towards the enemy - this will be epic if you let them follow you to about 20ft before the enemy line an then let them charge...

sprinting horses are useless IMO,  ever sat on a horrified horse? they can sprint for a REALLY long time. But they should loose speed when taking damage.

Oh god please don't add in the over done bull**** stamina bar that ruins combat.  If you want more realistic and a stamina bar, go play Chivalry.  This game is an RPG, if you want to run faster up your athletic skill.  I would however support a limited sprint attack or a dodge move to get out of the way of mounted troops.  but a stamina bar that affects attacking and everything else would just slow combat to a crawl because people will complain that it isn't effective or realistic enough until the point to where it becomes more cumbersome and annoying than fun and adding something to the game.  Either that or people will complain to the point to where it might as well not even be in the game, and then it is an annoyance that pops up every once in the while to get you killed.

Sprinting for a short period or/and some kind of dodge would be a nice feature and definetly an improvement for the battle expierience.

As a on/off turnable feature I would even consider these "swordswing consumes stamina" ideas as acceptable, but to force everyone to plan every Hit they do is simply a bit to much. Not everybody plays this game for the most challenging game expierience. Many simply want to play for some fun and I definetly think that I would love to turn this function off if I had the possibility to do that, because I want some challenge but no buzzkilling I-Cant-Swing-My-Sword-While-Standing-In-A-Group-Of-Archer-Action.

Oh god please don't add in the over done bull**** stamina bar that ruins combat.

I dont think that a stamina bar would destroy combat if its only considering special moves like a dash forward, sprinting, shieldbashing, sidesteps and so on.

This game is an RPG, if you want to run faster up your athletic skill.

The stamina bar shouldn´t replace the athletic skill, the athletic skill should effect the stamina bar.

I think it would be an great RPG element if you have to go for some stats in order to perform this movements. Like you need 10 STR and 9 AGI and maybe 2 athletic to do a Dash forward, maybe 10 STR and 12 AGI and 3-4 athletic to do a sidestep without falling down.
And sprinting depends on how much wait you carry. Like 10-20 kg you need only 9 STR,9 AGI and 1 Athletic to sprint, wiht 20-30  you need 12 STR,12 AGI and 2 Athletic and with 30-40 you need 15 and so on.

I think this is not gonna be a good idea, the player is gonna be to OP, what about MP? If everyone is gonna have that sprint thing it is gonna be very chaotic.

Back
Top Bottom