[RoN]: Rise of Nationalism (v1.1, updated 13 Sept. 09).

Users who are viewing this thread

Thufir

Regular
l_9402a32ecf744f8888f7b5b00e553bc9.jpg
"Here I am, and here you are, war to the Turks!"
- Milos Obrenovic at Takovo, April 23rd 1815.

Rise of Nationalism is an unofficial add-on for Age of Blackpowder set in the Balkans between 1815 and 1831.  In that time the region saw three major uprisings against the Ottoman Empire that laid the foundations of Bosnia, Greece, Montenegro and Serbia as modern nations.

Youtube video with images an info regarding the time period: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTA0SGgGerE​

Download:
https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=7&id=1452

Rise of Nationalism should now work with Vista.  Vista users please leave feedback when you get a chance.

List of features:

-New map
-New factions (Bosnia, Greece, Montenegro, Ottoman Empire, and Serbia)
-New faction lords (historical)
-Some new companions
-Some new dialogs
-New outfits (a couple new meshes, lots of new textures)
-New troops and troop trees

----------------------------
v1.1 List of Changes:
-This mod should now work with Vista.  Captain Proof and I were able to figure out that the sound.txt file was causing the crash to desktop when using muskets.
-Faction Balance. (Ottomans are now stronger but more melee based, Montenegrins are stronger)
-New Flags.
-Added Balkan muskets.
-Reduced rate of fire on firearms.
---------------------------

Like Age of Blackpowder: Realm of Revolution. Rise of Nationalism deals primarily with ranged infantry.  But like AoB melee is still a major part of the game, a cavalry charge can be devastating as even the best of troops will only get off two shots before the lances and sabres of the riders are on top of them.  Some of the factions are very strait forward, designed to hammer away at their enemy with musketry, while other factions require a little more skill and maneuvering to archive success (don't expect the Ottomans to stand toe to toe exchanging musket fire with the Montenegrins and win).

Map screen shots:
MoravaValley.jpg

Morava Valley

podrinje.jpg

Podrinje Valley

overhead.jpg

Overhead from the map editor.

Factions

Sanjak of Bosnia:

Bosnia has always been in a precarious position as the Ottoman Empire's western most region.  The recent uprising in Serbia has given rise to a nation of highly militant and aggressive people whose designs on the region may incorporate the Christian populations in part of if not all of Bosnia.  This combined with dreadful Ottoman mismanagement has made it clear that if Bosnia is to defend itself it must be done by Bosnians!

The Bosnian army is somewhat antiquated as it is organized and equipped along Ottoman lines.  But many Bosnians are veterans of the recent wars with Austria and Russia and with the best cavalry in the Balkans the Bosnians may have an edge on the other factions.

Decent infantry, excellent cavalry.
bosnianline.jpg

Bosnian Line
bosniancavflank.jpg

Bosnian Cavalry hits the flank

Hellenic Republic:

The Greeks have regained part of Greece and independence for themselves, but strife within their provisional senate about how and who should rule Greece has caused infighting and fragmentation among the population and armies.

The Greek army is haphazardly equipped but her soldiers are skilled and determined fighters.

-Strong infantry, no cavalry, short troop tree.

greekline.jpg

Greek Line

Bishopric of Montenegro:

Surrounded for centuries by the Ottoman Empire the noble Serbs of Black Mountain have never given up their fight against the hated Turk.  Now that their brothers across the Sandzak have finally archived some success the time is right for war.  But to be sure, if the old Serbian Empire is to be resurrected it can only be done by the Serbs of Black Mountain who have never tasted slavery.

Centuries of violence and blood shed have left Montenegro with the best equipped and most experienced army in the Balkans.  But their nation is dwarfed by those around them.  With only two city centers Montenegro is the smallest faction.

-Best infantry in the game, no cavalry.

montenegrinline.jpg

Montenegrin Line
montenegrinfight.jpg

Montenegrins Embattled

Ottoman Empire:

Times are changing and the leadership of the Ottoman Empire, even in spite of the efforts of some enlightened Sultans, keep resisting change.  The Janissary corps which was once the most feared military force in the world is now corrupted and no longer capable of facing modern European armies.  Rebellions across the Balkans have further weakened the Empire and the Christians have shown little mercy to the Turkish population.  To defend her people and for the sake of peace (The rebellious provinces are already eying up each other for more territory) the Empire must crush the upstarts and regain control of the region.

The army of the Ottoman Empire is well trained but its organization and equipment is antiquated and its higher level troops are mediocre at best.  If the Ottomans are to find success on the battle field they will need to rely on their wealth of resources to chip away at their opponents.

Strong beginning troops, weak higher end troops, good cavalry.  With 6 city centers and nearly twice the reinforcement rate of the other factions the Ottomans can field a staggering amount fo men.

TurkishLine.jpg

Ottoman Line
turkishcharge.jpg

Ottoman charge hitting the Serbs

Principality of Serbia:

400 years of bondage have ended!  In two uprisings the Serbs have gained independence from their Moslem overlords.  But in truth only the Pashaluk of Belgrade has been liberated.  Southern Serbia and Bosnia are still enslaved.  The souls of the Kosovo Martyrs continue to cry out for vengeance!  But the Serbs must keep heart and remember that no amount of blood, Serb or Turkish, will avenge them.  Only when Kosovo hears the sound of Serbian trumpets and all Serbs are living again united and free can the Battle of Kosovo be put to rest.

Milos Obrenovic is creating a modern European style army out of the zadruga clans men and hajduks which brought the Ottoman Empire to its knees, but the Serbian army still has a long way to go.  Aided by a flood of muskets, shot and powder pouring across the Danube from friends in Austria and allies in Russia the Serbian army looks as though it may become the dominant power in the Balkans. 

Good infantry and good cavalry.

serbianline.jpg

Serbian Line

Notes:

-I could use any feed back regarding faction balance.  I tried something very unorthodox by off setting faction size with troop strength, it may end up being something that cannot work in Mount and Blade.  As of yet I have not been able to test it extensively.

-I tried my best to make the factions as historically accurate as possible but there are a lot of holes in my research (I found very little info about Bosnian and Greek armies during this time period).  If you notice something is wrong or missing or if you have a suggestion please feel free to let me know.  I have an open mind and am always interested in learning something new about this part of the world!

-And lastly, I realize there has been and there still is a lot of tension surrounding the real life factions in this mod.  I attempted to be non-objective and I hope it shows.  I ask that any ensuing discussion regarding this mod remains non-objective. 

Credits:

-Bjorne and Tavener, for all their work creating Age of Blackpowder which was the base and inspiration for my mod!

-Dain Ironfoot, 18th century uniforms
-RR_Raptor65, the muskets from OSP Weapons
-MAXHARDMAN, animations
-D'Sparil, for the Janissary helmet.

-Manitas, .obj to .smd (armor rigging)

-Yellowmosquito, Banner and Flag Standardization pack v1.2

-Thorgrim, BRF Edit and Map Editor.

-Effidian, Unofficial Editor (items and troops).

-All of the Mount and Blade modding community.  Believe it not I had no modding experience before I set out to make this mod only a month ago!  Whenever I came upon a problem or issue I was able to quickly find a solution with a search on these forums.

And last but not least I would like to thank,
-Venizelos' Turkish coffee. 
-Camel filtered, Drina filtered, and Morava filtered cigarettes. 
-Manastirka plum brandy. 
Their emotional and material support in the times of frustration, insomnia and social isolation, which I discovered can sometimes be the result of a desire to create a minor modification for an already excellent game, was invaluable! :razz:
--------------
God bless! Наздравље! Nazdravlje! Tanri Korusun! O Theoz na eylogi!

-Thufir

Just took my time to play some battles with Bosnia, and so far all I can say is great job..

Downloading. And I saw a few of those models and textures could fit into the 1716. If you would like to share them that is.

Yea about that. I think it needs a name change.

Like.

Rise of Nationalism (based upon aob)

Lucius Calrad said:
Thufir,and where is Croatia :evil:

No offense, but Croatia had very little if nothing to do with any of these rebellions (Croatia was not under Ottoman rule).  Croats are somewhat represented by Bosnia (it is thought that 1/3 of Gradascevic's army was Christian).  But I did add Croatian Mercenaries which are powerful troops! :wink:

Great mod/add-on/based upon AoB.  For a guy who doesn't much about the Ottoman empire like myself, this was a really cool mod to play around with.

Also like bjorne said alot of your models work so well for 1716.  Great work on your own, and hope you'll contribute to the next AoB series while your at it.

Sudenpawm said:
Great mod/add-on/based upon AoB.  For a guy who doesn't much about the Ottoman empire like myself, this was a really cool mod to play around with.

Also like bjorne said alot of your models work so well for 1716.  Great work on your own, and hope you'll contribute to the next AoB series while your at it.
Yep, I agree. I played the mod for a few hours and I love it! A great add-on indeed!

JDeNef13

Lucius Calrad said:
Yeah, and where is Bulgaria?!?!?!?!? :evil: :evil: :evil:

... Just kidding (and contemplating about the possible rise of nationalism-related complaints in this thread (hopefully not)). :wink:
Otherwise, great work and congratulations! The mod seems pretty well done, though I haven't had the time to test it out yet. But finally we have a Balkan mod which so many have probably waited for!

P.S. Since many people can't notice sarcasm over the internet, I'll point out that I'm not actually asking why Bulgaria isn't in (since it obviously shouldn't be, at least at that game-time).

Telecaster said:
Svaka tebi cast. samo nije "war to the truks vec turks" lol.

Moj Srpski nije dobar :-\

On je Srbin, ali kao sto vecina Srba u 1800's, onda je preliven kao Turk.

Koristiti Engleski ovde! :wink:

---------

For everyone else, I think Telecaster is confused or poking fun at the fact Milos Obrenovic is dressed like a Turk.  Turks were the rulers so the Turks set the fashion trends.

And I told him to use English (I think!)

NikeBG said:
Lucius Calrad said:
Yeah, and where is Bulgaria?!?!?!?!? :evil: :evil: :evil:

... Just kidding (and contemplating about the possible rise of nationalism-related complaints in this thread (hopefully not)). :wink:
Otherwise, great work and congratulations! The mod seems pretty well done, though I haven't had the time to test it out yet. But finally we have a Balkan mod which so many have probably waited for!

P.S. Since many people can't notice sarcasm over the internet, I'll point out that I'm not actually asking why Bulgaria isn't in (since it obviously shouldn't be, at least at that game-time).

I got the sarcasm.  And I will not be surprised if someone asks where Albania and Romania are before this week is finished. :wink:

But if you look for the Ottoman claimant you will find Voyvoda Indzhe.  One of the things I would like to try to do for a future release is opening up a new troop tree (Bulgarian/Hajduk) if you take up Indzhe's cause.  I am not sure where to begin with that however, maybe I could take a look at "Sword of Damocles".

NikeBG said:
Actually, Telecaster corrected your quote "Here I am, and here you are, war to the Truks!" - it should be "Turks", not "Truks". :wink:

hahaha!  I thought he was saying "war to the Turks 'but' Turks (as in they are Turks), oops!  Thanks Telecaster!

Well, the haiduks were more like brigands (I think the name itself means brigand too), so another option would be to just make them as bandit groups which are hostile only against the Ottomans (though, if they're hostile to everyone, it still wouldn't be inaccurate IMO).

Edit: Btw, just thought I'd also add some name corrections of the settlements around Bulgaria on the map, since they're probably the easiest and quickest thing to improve - Vrasta Castle should be Vratsa; to the south of it are two villages called Svoge (I guess the northern one is supposed to be either Mezdra or Varshets); further south there's a village called Rila (Irlie on Turkish), but that was rather unimportant (and can be confused with the mountain of the same name), so I'd recommend changing it either to Dupnitsa or Cuma-ı Bala; to the south-east of Rila is Razlog Castel, which should be Castle; to the south of it is Melink Castle, which should be Melnik.
Anyway, here's a map of modern Bulgaria with the locations of all those settlements, if you decide to change some settlements or their locations.

Back
Top Bottom