Rome - scene in progress (Poll added)

How should the defense scene of Rome be handled?

• Using the civic scene - Mainly a street fight in the core of Rome, with player using a few holdouts

Votes: 180 62.7%
  • A separate scene - Player starts defense at a section of the Servian Wall. Maximized defensive poten

Votes: 107 37.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Alright, so the trimming down is done and missing files worked out.

Right now I am working on some togas for citizens, but I also started working on a little village scene to work out the props and prop textures.

I will be making some additional models and displaying them here, also I will revise the models for the first houses and increase the texture sheet size, since they are rather blurry up close, and the normals aren't quite offsetting that blurryness as I had hoped, since the texture is too small.

So, this means in the near future i'll display the new/revised props, and once that is done i'll complete the scene and display that.

ealabor said:
Alright, so the trimming down is done and missing files worked out.

Right now I am working on some togas for citizens, but I also started working on a little village scene to work out the props and prop textures.

I will be making some additional models and displaying them here, also I will revise the models for the first houses and increase the texture sheet size, since they are rather blurry up close, and the normals aren't quite offsetting that blurryness as I had hoped, since the texture is too small.

So, this means in the near future i'll display the new/revised props, and once that is done i'll complete the scene and display that.
Thank you for heads up,ealabor. :wink:
I'm with ya here,and full support till the end!

Cheers! :grin:

I'm really loving all the constant progress here E.
Can't wait to see script changes and game improvements.

I am just hoping there will be also some new weapons or armors after seeing these buildings countless times. We also would like to see some weapons from you....:smile:

@Outlawed, i hardly believe he is planning that as he was looking for someone to take that position.

I can't frickin wait to see a fully explorable town scene of Rome.

Belendor said:
I am just hoping there will be also some new weapons or armors after seeing these buildings countless times. We also would like to see some weapons from you....:smile:

Yeah there will be those as well, though those will be done last with the exception of these civilian clothes, since it just wouldn't look appropriate to showcase a scene with m&b attire.

Belendor said:
@Outlawed, i hardly believe he is planning that as he was looking for someone to take that position.

No, it's going to have it's own custom coding, which much of it has been done for a while, and a few other things I am going to add from public works.

theAthenian said:
I can't frickin wait to see a fully explorable town scene of Rome.

Neither can I, and I hope It doesn't blow up some old computers in the process, heh.

I am going through the same thing right now with my own map of Rome and my own scene props. Tbh, it's quite difficult putting it all together to create a scene according to a plan.

Sounded easy when I had all the basic scene props ready but I was quite surprised by the difficulty.

E, have you tried lods with props yet? I'm just wondering, since I haven't tried it myself. Granted, meshes too simplified would degrade some scenes that rely on a nice background like the propylaea, but it might be useful for the more complex columns, at least, should get rid a couple thousand polies.

theAthenian said:
I am going through the same thing right now with my own map of Rome and my own scene props. Tbh, it's quite difficult putting it all together to create a scene according to a plan.

Yeah it can be, though if you properly scale a section of a historical layout with whats realistically allotable in a scene, it can be much easier. You want to do this by getting at least one building to an appropriate scale in comparison to your character, then kind of jot them out all over to get a feel of area.

Ideally that should be a house, and I put some of those out which gave me some sense of what amount of area would be practical.

Though the most important thing for specifically the Rome scene was for me to get a good sense of the distance between Capitoline and Palatine, then place mock up buildings between those two to get a much better feel.

So i'd for sure recommend those ideas, using mock up props and geographical points for reference to get scale right.

Lynores said:
E, have you tried lods with props yet? I'm just wondering, since I haven't tried it myself. Granted, meshes too simplified would degrade some scenes that rely on a nice background like the propylaea, but it might be useful for the more complex columns, at least, should get rid a couple thousand polies.

Yes, actually looked into that the other day.

The lods do not scale with mesh size, so keep that one in mind. I loaded up that 4 story insula with a lod1, and I had to be inside the building for it to trigger, heh.

nothing within normal lod ranges (1-4) is sensible for bigger buildings, so something outside those i'd suggest, if they exist.. maybe a 7 or such.

Though there are some exceptions, such as inaccessible faces from distance. So for example if you had a high poly accessible interior section of a building that wasn't visible from the outside, then you could generate an lod with a simplified interior section of it. Also for smaller ornate sections of building props, those could be simplified as well.

But for some smaller-medium columns, statues, pillars etc. yes I think that will see the most mileage, just as well any decoration props, amphora etc.

Oh, the latest version of OpenBRF has an lod generator, so that might be helpful news if you haven't found out.

btw I think textures can be lod's now as well.

Alright guys just a quick preview of what I am willing for the forum area:

arch1prev.jpg

So, a toga, the Sep. arch, part of the ToC, and a placeholder prop for the Carcer.

ealabor said:
Alright guys just a quick preview of what I am willing for the forum area:

arch1prev.jpg

So, a toga, the Sep. arch, part of the ToC, and a placeholder prop for the Carcer.

Holy orgasm. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom