Rome - scene in progress (Poll added)

How should the defense scene of Rome be handled?

• Using the civic scene - Mainly a street fight in the core of Rome, with player using a few holdouts

Votes: 180 62.7%
  • A separate scene - Player starts defense at a section of the Servian Wall. Maximized defensive poten

Votes: 107 37.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

That may be so, but it will not stop me in this glorious quest. Though I should probably stay with filling out the rest of the central forum first, and save that for later  :wink:

So I think I will do the Rostra next, and then..

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and squirrels of all ages, grab your seats and vacuum cleaners because then I will be moving on to texture sheet 2048 for both of the basilicas!

If anyone wants to help out, I need some reconstruction images or illustrations of the Carcer, and more for the two basilicas would be nice.

Also any detail info for descriptions on the objects around the Rostra would be great.

------------

Speaking of which, I guess there are two platforms for the forum? Anyways there doesn't seem to be much info on the one closer to the Vesta temple, so this is the rough outlines i'm going with for the two platforms:

rost1.jpg

rost2.jpg

small_rostraperspective1.jpg

The thick statue at the upper right was meant to be the real heart of the Roman Empire. This marked the  center of the Empire.

Also, the wooden stakes at the front of the Rostra were captured from fleets in the battle of Actium.

Quintillius said:
Also, the wooden stakes at the front of the Rostra were captured from fleets in the battle of Actium.

Yeah I had figured out so much, and about the milestone at the upper left.

What I am struggling with is what were the inscriptions, if any, on the milestone, or the center of Rome object, and any inscriptions on the pillar bases which sat on the Rostra.

Just as well, there are some depictions of a statued man on a horse inbetween both of the Rostra podiums, and I have no idea who that is, or if it is time relevant:

wtf-2.jpg

I whould Help if I knew how to do so, all i know is how to use the blender texture engin syttem.  :sad:

Out of curiosity, are you planning on doing the emperors palace? I'm not sure on the time frame though, and I'm slightly drunk so I can't really be bothered to find out lol. Although, saying that, it would probably take a whole scene anyway....

Yeah none of the palaces would serve as a function, nor would they even fit the scene, so their modeling would be useless

At present the following will serve a use for the scene, and their functions are as such:

Curia Julia - Lords hall / castle
Basilica Julia - Market for weapons / armor and guildmaster
Carcer - Prison
Flavian Amphitheatre - Arena
Basilica Aemilia - Market for trade goods
Market in place of Basilica Maxentius - Horse market. Optionally this may be consolidated to the Basilica Aemilia, but im not sure on how I feel about the thought of some horses ****ting up a nice basilica.

I would make use of other notable buildings in the future pending I make some functions for them.

Should also note that the Flavian Amphitheatre cannot be directly reached, so i'll have to make a hub of some sorts to transport players to the actual interior scene for the arena action.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Rostra -

Source inspiration:

RostraAug_1_Side2_MedRes.jpg

small_rostraperspective1.jpg

Platform minor:

plat11.jpg

plat12.jpg

Platform major:

plat21.jpg

plat22.jpg

plat23.jpg

plat24.jpg

plat25.jpg

plat26.jpg

Goes without saying the pillars are added later.

Just an update:

I was going to preview the Basilica Julia, but seeing as I haven't started it, its not going to happen just yet.

I'm trying to get the scaling and layout just right for this forum area, so i've been doing other things that are progressing away from the Arx, and leading to the Palatine. Because of this, i've been doing some platforms, and other misc things around that area, including the temple of Concord which I am finishing now. Though it should be soon enough I start on the basilica.

For some reference, this is a look at which buildings (lighted area) I have layed out now or soon will be, excluding housing and other such props:

layout-1.jpg

ToC

templec.jpg

Just another brief update folks, bear with me and excuse the double post:

Putting together a full mockup for the basilica has made it quite clear that Wings will not handle the triangle count of the entire model. Now that's fine because if need be I will assemble it in sections, and combine it in the BRF.

bjfloor1.jpg

Though I would prefer to assemble it all in one mesh, so I will look into what a new Wings version has to offer. but either way, it can be put together nonetheless.

I think the real issue at present is with the poly count impacting the scene. I assembled mockups to approximate the total poly count of what both the basilicas would be in the scene, and before putting them in there was just the slightest in lag, but afterwards it was somewhat noticable when facing the Forum Romanum area.

Now fortunately Warband allows for the usage of lods for scene props, so that will help tremendously, otherwise the scene likely wouldn't work as I plan it. I've already made a few lods for some of the newer props such as the houses, but I will have to assemble for some others.

So before I get back to the scene of Rome, i'm going to work out the lods, and do a number of other things including:

1. Trim down the mod, as there's still some old props and textures left over which aren't used. This will help with load time and make space.

2. Generate some more generic or non specific models for the scenes.

3. Make another scene using the current props which I can showcase in a preview. I was thinking Ostia, but I might just do some generic scene, where I can try test out some various styles and themes for layouts. We'll see.

Anyways I'll continue to aprise you of the twitter like updates  :wink:

That first layer 24k triangulated.

But thats a mock up using the arch section of the tabularium, which has other mesh bits the basilica wont use.

I will reduce some of those, but then I will be adding other sections to that first layer, so I suspect the real first layer will be about 20-30k when done. The second level layer will be about the same, and the last layer might hit 5k at most.

So for the final model it will probably be around 45k - 65k total triangulated, and that's being generous. I suspect I will go overboard with the detailing and that will add probably 10-20k to either of those figures.

Maybe upwards of 80-90k for worst case scenario, and I can't even think about that ugh.

I crash if I put more than 50K poly models overall in a scene.
So a scene in overall can't go beyond 60K or so with all the models combined.

theAthenian said:
I crash if I put more than 50K poly models overall in a scene.
So a scene in overall can't go beyond 60K or so with all the models combined.

No, i've exceeded several hundred thousand poly count now. Just putting in those mockup basilicas is almost 100k - 4x24k.

I suspect that you might have a graphics enhancement mod or sorts where the density of texture sheet sizes could be the culprit, or maybe your shadow settings are on ultra high. Though that still might not crash it since I believe ive had a look with them at ultra high before. It was chugging, but it didn't crash.

This is my optimized settings atm:

currentsettings.jpg

Let me know what you have against that, your machine specs, and if you are using graphic enhancment mod.

Well for my old comp I do, which is what I mod on.

The new one is great for the game itself, though I have annoying issues with Windows 7 when I try to mod things, namely the python conversions.

So I have to suffer on this rig to make it happen.

----------------

Update : Trimming off unused meshes and textures has saved some 230 mb, so thats always a good one.

Gorgerous, those buildings are awesome, and seeing the poll, that sounds really fun and innovative (the first option)

Back
Top Bottom