Rome II: Total War

Users who are viewing this thread

Arvenski said:
If every American had an incest fetish, we'd all be ****ing our relatives.  :razz:

Well, technically...

Beny said:
JACVBHINDS // 寒心420? said:
the average total war fan just wants a cinematic audiovisual experience
Yes. This is the only reason you would ever buy a total war game. I love them for this exact reason.

But they don't even do a good job of that because they insist on trying to be hardcore strategy games, and the way the AI works doesn't lead to many big interesting field battles. They're either curbstomps or clustermesses. Sieges are meticulous and tedious as in real life even though they're consistently advertised as cinematic wall rushes. It tries to be both things and ends up being mostly mediocre in both camps.

Was going to edit this on to my last post, but I'll make a new post for it:

DYSTOPIAN said:
The-"Victorian-Era TW would be the next logical step"-type of suggestions
I've seen posts mentioning that, too, and honestly, I don't see what would so bad about a TW game set in Europe* at some point in the mid- to late-19th Century. The only other TW game set it that time period is Fall of the Samurai, but I've never really been drawn into FotS. Japan's never been my thing.

*Not America. I'm sure we'll get a TW: American Civil War eventually, but that's not what I'm thinking of here.

But the only wars worth representing are the Franco-Prussian war, the Crimean war or maybe the German wars of unification. Not many factions involved so not much scope really.

Unless you went a-historical.

Beny said:
But the only wars worth representing are the Franco-Prussian war, the Crimean war or maybe the German wars of unification. Not many factions involved so not much scope really.

Unless you went a-historical.

I feel the ACW would fit in as prime Expansion/DLC territory. And I mean, I feel you're missing out on the big thing, which is the global expansion of New Imperialism. Plus dynamics with the Opium Wars and the Taiping Rebellion among many others in China, and the modernization of Japan. It'd be an ambitious but honestly perfect setting for a Total War game, as this is when the modern concept of, well, total war started to begin. Or maybe someone could make it into a BoP setting. :^)

Si-A-erra. said:
Wouldn’t the pax britannica kind of ruin the whole total war aspect?

Worse still, most of the expansionist wars in the 19th century were one-sided and the combat dynamic would probably suck. All the inter-european wars resulted in relatively small territory changes, and Total War has never been fun unless you're aiming for total annihilation of the enemy. ETW avoided this by having these big intercontinental wars over colonial possessions, and by keeping gun-less factions to a minimum, but in the 19th century it would be impossible to simulate something like the Crimean War in a total war game.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-rome-ii-desert-kingdoms

Female Leaders – Free LC

Following in Zenobia’s footsteps, Cleopatra and Teuta are now fully playable as faction leaders and generals, along with custom visuals and voice-over.
Important female characters have been added to all campaigns and across all factions. In some cultures, like Rome and Greek – women can only serve a social/political role while in other [sic] women can be generals and fight alongside men.
For cultures where women can’t hold public offices there is a special “Cursus Honorum” path that follows the increase in “behind-the-stage” political influence of women.
There are special events (dilemmas) that portray the trials and tribulations associated with women coming to power in ancient times. Usually, there are traditions and prejudice standing in the way. Such events allow the player to recruit a female leader or gain some other bonuses from parties that would oppose such a decision.
Faction leaders of opposite gender can now marry as a diplomatic action, significantly strengthening the relations between the two factions.
The basic marriage action now has political implications.

damn

I doubt it since that would require the Romans to actually reach Britain, plus she's outside the scope of both the main campaign and the Imperator Augustus one. Still, I've been wanting something like this for ages if only for the roleplay aspect. At the very least there'll be some variation from the same 5 male general icons in every faction, and female leaders will be quite easy to distinguish on the battlefield.

JACVBHINDS // 寒心420? said:
Sieges are meticulous and tedious as in real life even

I once had a siege game last 8 months. At one point they even fired an infected animal carcass inside the walls and disease wiped out half my fighting force. We ran out of food during the last month and resorted to eating the weak. For some reason sitting at my computer desk for 8 months without moving caused some issues.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Female Generals, what a joke. Especially the fact that Cleopatra can be a "General". :lol:

There's some historical basis to her having commanded at least a portion of Egyptian forces during the Battle of Actium, and she certainly had tactical input for a good bit of the earlier campaign.

The historical basis coming from Augustan sources, who would want to imply that (Marc Antony AND Cleopatra commanding for a propaganda double whammy. Marc Antony sucks at commanding AND let a woman have partial command). Just saying. Logically I seriously doubt those claims, Marc Antony would risk his entire naval fleet to give partial command to his Egyptian Queen? (Press X) Doubt. She certainly had her own flagship though, I dont doubt that. Nothing less for royalty.

Back
Top Bottom