Rome at War: Suggestions/bugs

Users who are viewing this thread

It is true that bigger rings looks better in the game, too small rings sometimes can't be recognized as rings at all but I think I will find the right balance between the good look and historical references

SEA PEOPLES IN SARDINIA, c.1100 BC

1): Sherden warrior

This figure, copied from a Sardinian statuette, has a horned helmet with a median ridge rising in two peaks, a diademshaped
bronze headband, and leather face protection here hanging loose. His padded corselet, made of some organic
material, is composed of vertical strips with two large shoulder-guards recalling an Aegean type of body armour, with
bronze tassets resembling Hellenic types. He carries a small buckler, and a long thrusting-sword with a curved hilt.

2): Peleset warrior

Here we choose to reconstruct the bronze ‘tiara’ helmet with actual feather plumes. The Aegean-style armour may
attest the contemporary presence on this western Mediterranean island of different groups of Sea Peoples. The leather
cuirass is reinforced with metal bosses, and has large shoulder- and collar-pieces as additional protection. Like his
Aegean ancestors, this man is wearing short coloured trousers. Note his long sword, from Decimo Putzu; the weapons
found in the cave grave near St Iroxi have a triangular blade with double middle ribs, giving a precise comparison with
blades found in the area of El-Argar. The hilt, of some organic material, was fixed by rivets.

3): Sardinian (Sardian) woman

Her colourful dress, typically Aegean in style, is copied from a bronze statuette from Teti-Albini near Nuoro. In the
background is a masonry-built nuraghe tower of the type found in Sardinia.

total_war1424898051_8lhoeko.jpg

The only beards Rgcotl made so far are of bronze, which some bloke accused us of ripping it from Rome II, someone really needs to get his eyesight tested
Because this:
prev_phygrian_helmet.png
Is totally the same model and texture as this:
seleucid_helmet_01.jpg
:facepalm:

Of course. Can't you tell that the plume and feathers are exactly the same?
Rgcotls helmet looks much better btw.

of course their similar... look, both have the same inserts for the plume, the same practical ties... oh well in one you can see really the signs of the joints and in the other one you may not... and maybe the first one looks comfortable and protective, while the second looks as comfortable and effective as wearing a bronzed pear in the middle of a battle. :fruity:
I don't want to talk about the shape behind the ears, I say ouch thinking about a sudden frontal blow...

and do these kind of shortsighted fella actually bothering you? lol, that's an interesting moment to talk about IMITATIO and AEMULATIO...

What that guy was doing was completely idiotic, because he just assumed that they took the model from Rome II. Firstly, the two models do look very different. Different textures, different designs and overall different looks, but clearly he has bad eyesight. So, let's just say for argument's sake that they were copies from Rome II (not saying they are, obviously), he still has no evidence to assume that the model was taken directly from Rome II.
Another problem with his argument is that he's saying Rome II now have copyright to Phrygian Helmets. Using his logic, from now on no mod/game/DLC is allowed to add a Medieval Great Helm to their game, because Medieval 2 Total War had it in their game.

It wasn't the first time, the funniest one so far was someone that said we were ripping models of Rome II while the release version at that time was before the release of Rome II, frankly if we had a time machine we'd be stealing pieces of antiquity and doing other irresponsibilities.

I guess that weapons and armours stats will be revised, however I suggest to lower the attack of makaira and xiphos, or at least increase the lynothorax defence because it was quite difficult to seriously injure soldiers wearing them in battle.
I was reading the episode of Alexandros being hit during the siege against the Indian Malloi, or several other episodes show the incredible resistence of this kind of armour. It doesn't convince me the fact of kill a high tier soldier like a pezhaiteros with two or three stab. they were quite difficult to kill for three or more people.
Even if they were wounded in the arms the would continue to fight till death.

I know that would make the combat more difficult but I'd like to :grin:

EFREM said:
I guess that weapons and armours stats will be revised, however I suggest to lower the attack of makaira and xiphos, or at least increase the lynothorax defence because it was quite difficult to seriously injure soldiers wearing them in battle.
I was reading the episode of Alexandros being hit during the siege against the Indian Malloi, or several other episodes show the incredible resistence of this kind of armour. It doesn't convince me the fact of kill a high tier soldier like a pezhaiteros with two or three stab. they were quite difficult to kill for three or more people.
Even if they were wounded in the arms the would continue to fight till death.

I know that would make the combat more difficult but I'd like to :grin:

Yes, to add to this: it's quite well known that Chainmail was extremely protective. I watched a test video (I know they aren't always the most reliable) of a guy testing a sharp axe against chainmail, with overhead swings. It survived very well. IMO the chainmail should be made a lot stronger than linothorax. I know linothorax was protective, but at the end of the day it's still iron vs. linen.

Some linothoraxes are roughly the same and other got higher stats plus the defence coef. against cutting strikes is a bit higher, your best bet against higher tier armor like reinforced linothoraxes, mail, breastplates and scale armor is to use weapons with good piercing capabilities like a spear and thrusting swords like the xiphos and gladius. I remember reading about a Spartan warrior that died because a spear pierced his linothorax and the spearhead got stuck in it making him bleed to his death so they aren't as impenetrable despite being effective against slashes. One often overlooked factor is blunt trauma, a mail armor might prevent you from getting a mean cut but the force applied by the strike could still damage your bones or organs. Overall it's a bit tougher but you should still bring down a foe in decent armor with your sword with a bit of insistence and footwork, it will just take a bit more time and strikes than in previous version.

- "At daybreak the signal was made; and the entire host, having formed up in the forum, gave a cheer, and raising their shields above their heads and locking them, began the ascent." - Livy, describing the Gallic testudo at the Battle of Allia
- "The Gauls advanced to the attack with shields locked together above their heads, fresh troops continually relieving them when they were tired." - Caesar Gallic Wars 7:85

Basically, the ability to "testudo on" with a Gallic shield. Of course it would be better to add when there are more Gallic scutums.

Seek n Destroy said:
Some linothoraxes are roughly the same and other got higher stats plus the defence coef. against cutting strikes is a bit higher, your best bet against higher tier armor like reinforced linothoraxes, mail, breastplates and scale armor is to use weapons with good piercing capabilities like a spear and thrusting swords like the xiphos and gladius. I remember reading about a Spartan warrior that died because a spear pierced his linothorax and the spearhead got stuck in it making him bleed to his death so they aren't as impenetrable despite being effective against slashes. One often overlooked factor is blunt trauma, a mail armor might prevent you from getting a mean cut but the force applied by the strike could still damage your bones or organs. Overall it's a bit tougher but you should still bring down a foe in decent armor with your sword with a bit of insistence and footwork, it will just take a bit more time and strikes than in previous version.

that's wonderful to hear, I'd like to have some reactions from my opponents. let's be clear, who didn't cheat in the SP going behind the enemy phalanx and simply taking a blood bath from the poor bots? So I was thinking if it was possible to prevent the human player to resort to this trick, actually allowing the armoured bots to react in time. Maybe lowering the stats of most common weapons like makaira (30 is a bit too much, or give to low troops more daggers at least, and Rgcotl can definitely make some artworks, no doubt about that). Your argument is valid in every possible way Seek, but I'd like to pay my θρασύτης and hybris of getting behind the enemy phalanx. In a very deadly way :twisted:
I manage to kill the first, I can kill a second wounded one, but the third after being hit comes to me and I must escape.

And Lynothorax were so effective against projectiles and arrows that in Plutarch the presence of an anecdote about this is a very curious one. The Greeks were so safe in their linothorax they wouldn't pay attention to arrows targeted to the chest, but it seems that Alexandros during the Malloi siege in India was hit by a serious monstrosity. An Arrow of 4 inches in lenght an 3 inches in width. the tip licked the side of the ribs under the breast but he managed to survive. is the exceptional nature of this episode reminded that demonstrates the reliability of this armor.

and then:http://www.uwgb.edu/aldreteg/Linothorax.html

Germanic Celt said:
- "At daybreak the signal was made; and the entire host, having formed up in the forum, gave a cheer, and raising their shields above their heads and locking them, began the ascent." - Livy, describing the Gallic testudo at the Battle of Allia
- "The Gauls advanced to the attack with shields locked together above their heads, fresh troops continually relieving them when they were tired." - Caesar Gallic Wars 7:85

Basically, the ability to "testudo on" with a Gallic shield. Of course it would be better to add when there are more Gallic scutums.

the first testudo appears in the Iliad during the teichomachia, although it's very difficult to establish a clear definition of originality of this technique. Romans, as I said thousands of times, didn't invent nothing but did copy very well, the Samnites and the Gauls had this particular kind of shields... who can say who was the first to use testudo? that's quite difficult both to talk about and to have in Warband, so your party must watch out from javelins and arrows.  :lol:

rgcotl said:
well so far we seen tests with elephants all looked awfull
so at the moment none of work has been made in that direction

Nice, I know Floris had elephants, but they looked a bit... off
Perisno has elephants too, but I don't really play it so not sure how they work in it

Germanic Celt said:
On that note, would chariots ever be possible?

The Wedding Dance had chariots, but it was single horse if I remember correctly
Might be able to be made though

Back
Top Bottom