Rome at War - Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)

Users who are viewing this thread

jepekula said:
Childe_Rolande said:
These questions weren't asked yet it seems, and I'm sort of feeling crappy about spamming the 'suggestions/bugs' thread, so I do have a question.

Uno: So I noticed the mod's troop recruitment doesn't work like natives' troop recruitment, where nameless peasants turn magically into other troop types, but rather it lets you recruit specific soldier types dependent on location (I think), and in greater numbers. To me this makes army management and entering battle significantly more easy and tactical. My curiosity is just in how you get 'elite' troops, and whether or not 'villages' are the only place for recruitment, and in how often they replenish troops, etc.

Dos: In my recruiting, I've come upon some troop type names I'm not quite familiar with! I imagine that 'Ephebes' are youths in training. What, however, are 'Epibates'? Would it be worth it to add in visible name translations somewhere?
You can upgrade some units to better-armoured versions of themselves in cities and castles which you or your own faction own (IIRC). When you enter a suitable walled settlement, there's the retrain troops (XXX remaining) option, click on that, and then you are given a menu which has your upgrade-able troops, click on them, and on the lower left it should tell you into which troop it upgrades to. Peasants, however, can still not be upgraded to superduperultramegadeathknights of hellas, but they'll be upgraded to peasants with more clothing. If I can remember correctly, some hoplites though are upgraded to epilektoi, which makes them the exception. Syracusan hoplites can't get upgraded to Epilektoi, though.

You get elite troops by recruiting them from cities, or sometimes they spawn in taverns iirc. Since you're in Greece, the 'yaddayadda epilektoi hoplitai' are the elites, but so are Spartiate hippeis, and Spartan promakroi are something special too but I can't remember. You could also, possibly, count Cretan archer(er)s and Rhodian slingers as elite, and they definitely spawn in taverns. You can also go to Krete to get the archers.

Epibates are marines. I don't remember if they were special in SP. In MP they get a bow, and in last version got an aspis to go with it.

Hello there!

I've been struggling with understanding how to restrain my units in the barracks as it doesn't really display an option for me to upgrade them. It merely shows the unit model and how much money I've got. I don't really know if I'm doing something wrong here... Would someone be able to help me?

shutdown338 said:
Hello there!

I've been struggling with understanding how to restrain my units in the barracks as it doesn't really display an option for me to upgrade them. It merely shows the unit model and how much money I've got. I don't really know if I'm doing something wrong here... Would someone be able to help me?

From the F.A.Q.:
First Page said:
Q: I can't seem to be able to upgrade troops, how does it work?
A: When you are part of a faction you can head up to a town or castle and select the barracks menu (if recruits are available) to re-train some of the lower tier units into the tier above them.

The list:
# Romani
Hastatus -> Loricatus Hastatus
Princeps -> Loricatus Princeps
Eques Equo Privato -> Eques Equo Publico

# Koinon Hellenon
Polítes Hoplítes -> Ékdromos
Hoplítes -> Epílektos Hoplítes
Hippakontistés -> Hippéus
Athenáios Éphēbos -> Athenáios Hoplítes
Boiōtós Polítes Hoplítes -> Boiōtós Hoplítes

# Makedonia
Sarisophóros -> Deuteros Phalangités
Deuteros Phalangités -> Pezhetairos Phalangités
Argyráspis Phalangités -> Agématos Argyráspis Phalangités
Hypaspistés -> Agématos Hypaspistés
Agématos Hypaspistés -> Basilikós Hypaspistés

# Safinim
Mistreis Hostatu -> Hostatu
Hostatu -> Supruis Hostatu
Pedú -> Pedú Ehtradeketsiúi
Ner -> Ner Valaemom
Verehia Mins -> Verehia Maimas

# Megale Hellas
Polítes Hoplítes -> Hoplítes
Hoplítes -> Epílektos Hoplítes

# Syrakousai
Polítes Hoplítes -> Hoplítes

# Epeiros
Sarisophóros -> Déuteros Phalangités
Déuteros Phalangités -> Pezhétairos Phalangités
Hippéus -> Xystophóros

# Rasna  
Veiane -> Venzile
Venzile -> Etera
Axunana -> Huzrna
Luvcatru -> Eprial Luvcatru
Athumic -> Ultna Athumic

Example:
VbVHV.jpg

This feature is still a work in progress and will likely be overhauled at some point.

Hi, I'm a beginner modder. I've seen his work on this mod for AOE2:grin:E and it's very good, especially the sprites. I have a question, where can I ask for permission to be able to use some of your sprites from this mod?
I want to use them for my AOE2:grin:E mod which consists of a fictional civilization and its story told in a custom campaign for AOE2:grin:E

Back
Top Bottom