Romans???

Users who are viewing this thread

Calradian Empire is a 1 for 1 expy of late-imperial Rome/Byzantine Empire.
Yes I know, what I'm pointing out is different. As you can see in the screenshot the game directly mentions Romans, Marius and Caesar. I wonder why TW did that. They avoided giving real life faction names for years to create a unique lore. So why mention Romans at all? That breaks the Calradia lore. They could have just gone with the name Imperial as a broad term, so why mention Romans specifically? I want to know the explanation of that regarding the M&B lore.

I feel like it's more to give you an example of what this would refer to and or how it would effect the Empire. Meaning, they're telling you that this is how it would effect the Empire as a whole, this is how it was with the Romans and thus is how it will be handled in this world.

I feel like it's more to give you an example of what this would refer to and or how it would effect the Empire. Meaning, they're telling you that this is how it would effect the Empire as a whole, this is how it was with the Romans and thus is how it will be handled in this world.
Yes that seems to be the most logical explanation, yet I think they could have gone with a little more unique and lore-friendly example for that. Like twisting the names a little and such.

I mean, it's more for example text and has nothing to do with the game. In truth it helped me understand the concept instead of took away from the game.

It's an historical reference. Veterans of roman legions would have land granted as reward for their service. It's just there so you learn something, lot of games do that

There are others such as Tribunes of the People, or even citizenship for that matter

Last edited:
It's merely a bit of background/historical trivia on what Land Grants for Veterans entails and how it came to be. None of the policies are unique to the M&B lore, but have real world historical roots. That little text endeavours to explain those roots.

In other words, that text is adressed to you, the player behind the screen, and not to your in-game character.

It's merely a bit of background/historical trivia on what Land Grants for Veterans entails and how it came to be. None of the policies are unique to the M&B lore, but have real world historical roots. That little text endeavours to explain those roots.

In other words, that text is adressed to you, the player behind the screen, and not to your in-game character.
Yeah I figured that is the case. It felt awkward seeing Romans mentioned in the game at first.

It's an historical reference. Veterans of roman legions would have land granted as reward for their service. It's just there so you learn something, lot of games do that

There are others such as Tribunes of the People, or even citizenship for that matter

That's not the issue. The issue is that in the universe of Mount and Blade, rome didn't exist. As such, this is a missplaced historical exampme which isn't historical at all since rome never existed in the history of calradia.

The issue stems from the fact that Enclyclopedia provides mostly in-world information like "Where is Varcheg" and "Who is the husband of Catilid." Having real-world locations referenced in the Encyclopedia contradicts that.

If realworld stuff was referenced in a footer? Maybe that'd work.

yeah, taleworlds was never really good with the lore. every game new map, new faction names this time. Seems like they are trying to implement lore which is nice, but they dont seem to be doing too well.

anyhow, theres more pressing matter to attend to

It's a note to the player. Might be a little immersion breaking but lots of games make references to the real world. Sometimes it's the only way to communicate something to the player, to use actual historical references.

That's not the issue. The issue is that in the universe of Mount and Blade, rome didn't exist. As such, this is a missplaced historical exampme which isn't historical at all since rome never existed in the history of calradia.

There are lot of other references like that, every kingdom law that you can pass is directly taken from our history, some of them are even labelled in latin, wich also doesn't exist in Calradia. There are also several more obscure like the Varangian Guard, the emperor being a military commander that rose to power, how the Calradians have an hatred for kings and stuff.. Everything is kinda an out of place reference to our history in this game

I get that citing directly Caesar and Marius might be a bit out of place but the whole plot of the game is a late Roman era themed thing, i don't get why two lines of historical reference bother you that much, especially in a world that's a sort of copy pasted from our history

There are lot of other references like that, every kingdom law that you can pass is directly taken from our history, some of them are even labelled in latin, wich also doesn't exist in Calradia. There are also several more obscure like the Varangian Guard, the emperor being a military commander that rose to power, how the Calradians have an hatred for kings and stuff.. Everything is kinda an out of place reference to our history in this game

I get that citing directly Caesar and Marius might be a bit out of place but the whole plot of the game is a late Roman era themed thing, i don't get why two lines of historical reference bother you that much, especially in a world that's a sort of copy pasted from our history

Didn't realise there was so very much of it. Damn. I hope they get rid of that.

It's a note to the player. Might be a little immersion breaking but lots of games make references to the real world. Sometimes it's the only way to communicate something to the player, to use actual historical references.

I'd rather they didn't break immersion like that, especially as they have already established a lore of their own. Real world references clash with this lore.

There was a thread on this earlier -- my feelings were, it's one thing to base your factional empire on the real world, it's another to cross lines between the real world and your fictional world.

The hasti, principes, and triarii of Bannerlord bear no resemblance to the real Roman troops except for the name. They represented old Calradian military units.

In contrast, a direct reference to Caesar and Marius -- or the direct reference to the Roman Republic in the tribune of the people law -- makes no sense at all. Why can't it be explained in-world?

Fictional empires based on Rome or Byzantium are a dime a dozen, but they're real world influences on fantasy realms. You don't play Elder Scrolls and hear people talking about Caesar Augustus having founded the third Empire of Tamriel, do you? Nah, it's some guy named Tiber Septim (or three guys, Elder Scrolls lore is weird). I don't play Dragon Age and hear about Augustine of Hippo criticizing blood magic. I don't read or watch Lord of the Rings and hear them chat about the English countryside.

Back
Top Bottom