Romans... Suck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks to Bjornes tactics, I also don't think they suck anymore, i'm playing with the Camulodian empire, and some Roman troops mixed in it, and i fought 94 vs 116 (i was 94) and i only had 5 casualties, 4 killed and those were auxilia recruits.... so they are nice actually.

Roman's really heavily on tactics and auxillia ((AKA support troops)) you cant just throw them into a fray and hope they live...

Yeah, in this mod, in this time, I have the Romans with a lot more skirmishing troops they otherwise would have had in a different time period.  Sadly, I can't figure out how to make it so there are more Sagittarius, because they would have had an important screening role in the Roman army while the legion was deploying.

On this note...
Is it just me or are is The Camulodian Empire more like the Roman Republic than the real Rome ?

I agree with him, but I also know why i think, it's the date. The romans started getting owned and kicked back to rome to get killed there, they weren't cool legionairies anymore. <- did that explain it?

martijntjeeh said:
So I was looking forward to bein a Roman general... so i recruited some romans, 40 to be precise, they looked not to sucky... with shields and spears and i had 10 better troops.. I thought it was a pretty decent army for the beginning... I thought i would be able to get 20 saxons killed... what happens? ALL of my romans get killed/wounded and they kill NONE  of the saxons? What? None? We're talking about the Romans here... They werent stupid pussys, they fought 100000 britons with only 10000 romans and... won? with only 400 killed romans? 70000 killed britons? Well, here A single saxon can beat up like 40000 romans if it goes like this all the time... what is up with the saxons / romans? anyone else having this? Something i'm not understanding? I don't get it... Was fighting the normal saxon raiders that lurk around Londinium by the way.

The Romans were masters of europe through leadership, not by not being "stupid pussies". Their strength lay simply in the fact that the system that grew and co-ordinated the roman army was from head to toe was more advanced than almost all other races for the entirety of their premiership. Their civilisation was more advanced and this ability to learn passes over down the generations and accelerates. This meant Roman forces had better funding AND internal spending, better discipline, better tactical mind and inevitably (considering the army was paid and well fed in relative terms to Celts and Middle eastern adversaries) better morale.

Perhaps this might explain your losses, but I doubt it. There is a thin scope for battle strategy in mount&blade and and an even thinner foundation of Socio-historical development. Its impossible to be balanced and historically accurate anyway.

Dudro said:
Chricky said:
On this note...
Is it just me or are is The Camulodian Empire more like the Roman Republic than the real Rome ?

Absolutely not.
Hm... Strange, I too thought that the camulodian empire had more roman-like troops than rome... :???:

The whole point is that they're modeled after the marian legion of the "old glory days" of Rome.  The pre-Marian republican army of Rome is extremely different.

The OP's problem, from the sound of it, is that he had spear and shields going in against swords and axes, a surefire way to lose in any M&B environment.

It wasn't just that they were better... it was the sheer manpower rome had, she could afford to loose many minor battles and still wear their opponents to the ground just through sheer attrition... Rome often lost the early battles in a war, or won with heavy causualties, they just made sure to learn from their mistakes and start pushing forward (Germany non-withstanding)

tigershark said:
It wasn't just that they were better... it was the sheer manpower rome had, she could afford to loose many minor battles and still wear their opponents to the ground just through sheer attrition... Rome often lost the early battles in a war, or won with heavy causualties, they just made sure to learn from their mistakes and start pushing forward (Germany non-withstanding)
Yeah Rome just could afford to lose the battles with casualties but after it they keep improving their tactics but near the end they cant and the ranks grew smaller that resulted them to be come less disciplined and loyal to the country Rome its self but more to the riches and leaders.Which can explain why the player would suck with out the commands ^^

Uhm... I would like to try this mod because I love the age of Roman Empire.
I just hope to find a DECENT Roman Army, I don't want to see them get their asses kicked by few miserable bandits.  :mrgreen:
If I don't mistake, this mod is set in the period when the (united) Roman Empire was already finished but in some pics I seen the classics Pretorians and Legionaries with the "segmented lorica", so I want them strong as they were in history.

ps: I'm italian, I don't speak very well english, I hope it's all clear.  :smile:

The Roman army did not depend on numbers at all. Infact there where manytimes when they where outnumbered.

The reason they where so good at fighting was because they would study their foes, learn how they fought, what weapons and armor did they use, was it better then theirs? (ie, their helmets where greek and the segmentica had roots in some armor worn by celtic nobles)

They would also use very advanced tactics for the time. They would also use artillery. (meaning things like Scorpions) With these they had a clear advantage over their enemies.

As time moved on and their enemies became more advanced the Romans did to, but not as much. They where also far more heavily out numbered with rebellions weakening the empire. In the end the most likely cause of their fall was lousy emperors and the rebellions.

Hey, I just wondered why the Western Roman Empire has got Imperial German Bodyguard...
Can someone explain this to me please? :grin:
I thought the Germans were more like barbarians at this time :?:

Back
Top Bottom