Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hellz no

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Hmmm...what did you want? you have 12 new factions they are all made from scratch, and the game is focused on the uniting of Calradia under one single banner, so the Legion is the condiment. Just give them time and maybe they'll rework the Legion, at least those my thoughts, but how can you imply that when the game is awesome.

killer110 said:
Why do they look like ****?

What is that supposed to mean?
Usual measure would be to propose an alternative and then let the developers decide ... maybe even call a vote.

I like the new look of the Legion.... they don't look exactly the same, and they seem more deadly this version... yet they still have yet to crush my 3000 elites holding with 4000 Rhodoks at Almerra Castle... javelin fights are becoming a major ***** :sad:

damnimbored25 said:
Hmmm...what did you want? you have 12 new factions they are all made from scratch, and the game is focused on the uniting of Calradia under one single banner, so the Legion is the condiment. Just give them time and maybe they'll rework the Legion, at least those my thoughts, but how can you imply that when the game is awesome.
The romans look ****. The rest of the game is bad-ass.

Sindagorn said:
killer110 said:
Why do they look like ****?

What is that supposed to mean?
Usual measure would be to propose an alternative and then let the developers decide ... maybe even call a vote.
Probably make them look like real Romans, you know, with curved shields instead of board shields and pila instead of javelins.

Gorukha said:
You didn't know Romans made their weapons and armor out of poop ?
No, I didn't.  :lol: :lol:

You are correct in this: the Imperial Legion in SoD doesn't look like an actual Roman Legion. I assume it's a work in progress, but even if it isn't, I don't mind them looking a little different. Still, there's always room for more suggestions.

The only pila and curved shields I've seen for an M&B Mod are the ones for Song of Taliesin. But they don't look all that good either. I tried adding one of the Roman shields to my personal version of another mod, but the corner clips the leg of the user too often for my taste. Soldiers in M&B hold their shields differently than a Roman would have.

KingLuke said:
There are Romans in this mod?
Oh hey KingLuke! Yes there are, the Romans took over your homeland and made you flee for Calradia. You then have to unify Calradia because the Romans will invide in around 1 year.

To everyone else, KingLuke made a Roman mod for Warband and the units and items are fairly accurate (except for the roman cavalry, that's just awful. They were lorica segmentata) so maybe you can hire him to make good Roman equipment and troops.

In the old versions of the Mod, the Legion was indeed pretty close to a Roman theme. When Cyclohexane and the rest of us planned a re-design, we took a slightly different approach, namely: what would have happened if the Roman Empire would have survived in the middle ages ? - and that's how the Legion got its modern form in v4.5 onwards. It even got cool auxiliary units (Sons of Deer, Bastard Brothers).

I for one prefer the new Legion to the old one, maybe except for the higher-ranking cavalry helms, but that's it. They have a sinister, coherent, somewhat majestic look, and are more of a challenge than before. Insert a Star Wars imperial march theme while fighting their overwhelming masses and you'll see what I'm talking about. If nothing else, do so for the lolz.  :lol:

MorrisB said:
In the old versions of the Mod, the Legion was indeed pretty close to a Roman theme. When Cyclohexane and the rest of us planned a re-design, we took a slightly different approach, namely: what would have happened if the Roman Empire would have survived in the middle ages ? - and that's how the Legion got its modern form in v4.5 onwards. It even got cool auxiliary units (Sons of Deer, Bastard Brothers).

I for one prefer the new Legion to the old one, maybe except for the higher-ranking cavalry helms, but that's it. They have a sinister, coherent, somewhat majestic look, and are more of a challenge than before. Insert a Star Wars imperial march theme while fighting their overwhelming masses and you'll see what I'm talking about. If nothing else, do so for the lolz.  :lol:
Yet they swapped their all-powerful pila for measly javelins? And they lose all formations and tactics and survive? And why are my underpants brown?

I get the formations thing but they seriously down-graded more than what I think would have happened. And the reason they got crapppier as the ages went by was because heaps of tribes started attacking and they needed troops fast so they couldn't train their troops too well, and their economy was based on looting instead of a steady, dependable economy. Oh yeah and most emperors were either insane/stupid/tyrannical and from there it all went to ****s.

That, and also many of their own soldiers were foreigners and immigrants. Desertion and backstabbing wasn't uncommon. The Roman Empire couldn't survive without downsizing. And, as it happens, that's what happened: what we now call the Byzantine Empire was really just a much smaller Roman Empire without Rome. And they definitely changed their military tactics and equipment a lot over time. So, if the idea is to create a medieval-style Roman Legion then there's a lot of creative freedom allowed.  :grin:

killer110 said:
KingLuke said:
There are Romans in this mod?
Oh hey KingLuke! Yes there are, the Romans took over your homeland and made you flee for Calradia. You then have to unify Calradia because the Romans will invide in around 1 year.

To everyone else, KingLuke made a Roman mod for Warband and the units and items are fairly accurate (except for the roman cavalry, that's just awful. They were lorica segmentata) so maybe you can hire him to make good Roman equipment and troops.

I'll tell you all this then, If you find any Oblivion mods with roman or spartan themes, I'll convert the armors and weapons for use in Warband.
For instance:
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=10170
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34341 (Roman Females [Ladies] for Warband????)

Don't worry about swords, I got that covered. Trust me I wanted to upgrade the Legion like 2 days ago. Find Roman Outfits for females too. Nothing with to much fantasy in it...

King Loras said:
That, and also many of their own soldiers were foreigners and immigrants. Desertion and backstabbing wasn't uncommon. The Roman Empire couldn't survive without downsizing. And, as it happens, that's what happened: what we now call the Byzantine Empire was really just a much smaller Roman Empire without Rome. And they definitely changed their military tactics and equipment a lot over time. So, if the idea is to create a medieval-style Roman Legion then there's a lot of creative freedom allowed.  :grin:
Even in the golden age of Rome with I think was from around 10 AD to 200 AD, most soldiers were foreigners and immigrants-fighting as Auxilias-but the reason they started losing was because of poor choice of tactics and formations. Desertion only grew worse once the downsizing began and backstabbing was always around (ever heard of Marius, Julius Caesar, Brutus and the senators?). I agree, but they over did it. I only know the Byzantine Empire as the Eastern Roman Empire and I do know that they were nothing like the original legions. A medieval-style Roman Empire would mean that a Roman Empire would have to both survive and thrive, therefore giving enough time to go back to their world conquering ways. Although I'd be very stupid to say that nothing would have changed, they'd obviously would have had to field more cavalry and spearmen and they would need to modify the legionaries to better counter the heavily armoured knights.

Edit: +50 points for first post in page 2!

Republican era Roman soldiers wore chain mail and carried flat oval shields, so it sort of depends on which Romans you're talking about.

I think the legionaries in SoD look okay.

UniversalWolf said:
Republican era Roman soldiers wore chain mail and carried flat oval shields, so it sort of depends on which Romans you're talking about.

I think the legionaries in SoD look okay.
Julian legionaries. The ones with the lorica segmentata and curved, rectangle (called square) shields.

Why should they look exactly like the Romans? They are inspired by the Romans but no one said they should be exactly the same as them.

Back
Top Bottom